FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Mar 22, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,666 of 2,501
Nope not working. It’s the same man. Don’t know what to do.
The M9 has a big problem with BT volume. The LO ‘workaround’ works in my car, but distorts even at low volume. Bottom line, you have to turn the M9 volume way up high in BT mode. Luckily it keeps your BT and wired volume settings in memory so you don’t blow your ears off next time you plug in wired earphones. My BT setting is on volume 90 when my wired setting is volume 35-40. Crazy I know but it is what it is. Hopefully the M11 fixes this because that’s where I’m going.

Mar 22, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #1,667 of 2,501
I just got mine today, I'm still exploring its features, one thing that It's not clear for me, because of my ignorance, it's which is the best sounding quality about wireless playback quality.

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #1,668 of 2,501
I received a message to upgrade to a newer version of Tidal on the M9 today. A few attempts to select the update button were met with a crash of the Tidal app. I assume that I will have to side load the latest and greatest. I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten the pop up as well.

Yes same thing here mate no joy either doing an update

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #1,669 of 2,501
My M9 arrived earlier today.

A little backstory. I wanted a DAP that would connect to my car stereo through bluetooth.
My friend's Sony NWA-45 (think that's the model) connects, and shows the unique PIN that my car stereo generates, you can acknowledge on the stereo, and the DAP and it pairs and plays music just fine.

I have DAP's from FIIO, HiBY, Hidizs, Shanling,and Cayin. None of these will play audio through the bluetooth connection to my car stereo. They start pairing, DO NOT show the PIN, and if you go forward with the pairing on the stereo, both devices show "connected" - but no audio.

Until - today! I was playing around with the M9, with wired headsets and my wireless bluetooth earbuds, bluetooth home stereo equipment. All working just fine.
Had to run an errand - my M9 was still in my shirt pocket when I got into the car.
By this time, I had given up on trying to use bluetooth in my car, and just went wired. I was getting the cable ready, and thought "why not?"
Started the pair process, and got a PIN verification on the M9! Acknowledged both units - and now I have bluetooth audio from the DAP to my car stereo - as I originally had wanted!

If anyone is familiar with the M9, and it's bluetooth functions. What exactly is similar between the Sony and the FiiO M9? The car in question is a 2015 Nissan Sentra, with stock stereo.

A number of other daps, both current and relatively current do not connect. So far it's only been the two.

Needless to say, I'm pleased. The DAP seems to handle a large number of files on the SD card (I have 16.7K and growing), very responsive (compared to others) and it connects bluetooth! This meets all of my criteria!

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #1,670 of 2,501
Hopefully the M11 fixes this
I admire fiio customer loyalty. How about @FiiO stop giving useless advices like “dear friend, update fw, reset settings and buy another fiio product” and start to work with their buggy software? I bought M9 because of it’s wireless features, but airplay doesn’t work properly. Very disappointed.

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #1,671 of 2,501
I received a message to upgrade to a newer version of Tidal on the M9 today. A few attempts to select the update button were met with a crash of the Tidal app. I assume that I will have to side load the latest and greatest. I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten the pop up as well.
The same after trying to renew tidal it crashes

Mar 23, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #1,672 of 2,501
I admire fiio customer loyalty. How about @FiiO stop giving useless advices like “dear friend, update fw, reset settings and buy another fiio product” and start to work with their buggy software? I bought M9 because of it’s wireless features, but airplay doesn’t work properly. Very disappointed.
Yes, I did the same. Hoping the M11 with its new wifi hardware and 5Ghz support fixes most of the issues. The M9 feels like a prototype of the M11 with half the features missing. If you just want a music player and basic wifi/streaming, M9 is great. For anything even slightly more complex, like using Plex or getting solid wifi signals, it's a no-go. Of course the minute I buy the M11 and discover one or two critical shortcomings the M13 will be released to 'fix' it.

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #1,673 of 2,501
As a separate issue. Re enquiries for white-listing certain apps. Some of the FiiO white-listing takes their customers for fools and should be constantly challenged. No podcast app. No audio-book app. No casting app on M9. None of those need be resource heavy. FiiO claim lack of their own resources. I say lack of respect for customers. Would be sad if the future M11 has problems with these apps. It has no Google play and as far as I know the FiiO app is still unable to cast to WiFi boxes, and has dodgy DLNA. It's a very limited music app and not good enough. FiiO must have the honesty to recognise the limitations of their music app and give some other choices.

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #1,674 of 2,501
As a separate issue. Re enquiries for white-listing certain apps. Some of the FiiO white-listing takes their customers for fools and should be constantly challenged. No podcast app. No audio-book app. No casting app on M9. None of those need be resource heavy. FiiO claim lack of their own resources. I say lack of respect for customers. Would be sad if the future M11 has problems with these apps. It has no Google play and as far as I know the FiiO app is still unable to cast to WiFi boxes, and has dodgy DLNA. It's a very limited music app and not good enough. FiiO must have the honesty to recognise the limitations of their music app and give some other choices.

I found a solution to this issue... Its quick and easy... Step 1 - Returned my M9, Step 2 - Ordered a Hiby R6 Pro. SOLVED

In all seriousness, I really did try to make a go of the FiiO player, but it is just too limited. There is something appealing about its simplicity, but I want to have a lot more customization and control for a DAP in this price range...

Even the M9 at $300 or the soon-coming M11 at $450 (and especially the latter), needs to offer much more, but at least white-listed apps in a lot more common categories.

The Hiby costs significantly more, but has everything I personally need it to offer. We shall see if the $800 price tag brings with it a satisfying experience.

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #1,675 of 2,501
I found a solution to this issue... Its quick and easy... Step 1 - Returned my M9, Step 2 - Ordered a Hiby R6 Pro. SOLVED

In all seriousness, I really did try to make a go of the FiiO player, but it is just too limited. There is something appealing about its simplicity, but I want to have a lot more customization and control for a DAP in this price range...

Even the M9 at $300 or the soon-coming M11 at $450 (and especially the latter), needs to offer much more, but at least white-listed apps in a lot more common categories.

The Hiby costs significantly more, but has everything I personally need it to offer. We shall see if the $800 price tag brings with it a satisfying experience.

I was an early adopter of the M9 (returned it) & purchased a Hiby R6 Pro as well. Google Play is a clear advantage in terms of loading apps. Chromecast & BT have worked without any notable issues as well. I can also say power isn’t an issue; it’ll drive my portable & home based HPs...Aeolus, HD 6XX, Fostex TR X00. I’ve also utilized it in my car (paired with the head unit) & my music streamer connected via chromecast without issue.

The M9’s versatily is alluring.....but just didn’t become a keeper for me. However it’s important to note there are Pros/Cons to all DAPS; so I cannot say the R6 doesn’t have any. Early on...I have support concerns regarding general or technical questions that a new owner would have. Fiio...albeit....not perfect...did seem to be more responsive in assisting users with questions or user problems (either directly via email or on this forum).

Ok...I’m done with my Hiby R6 Pro PSA; that offers no real solution to owners of the M9....just wanted to share my experience stemming from previous ownership the M9. I still think there’s some value for owners of the M9 despite the valid issues being posted.

I also owned a Chord Poly/Mojo combo. So maybe I’m difficult to please regarding a portable sound solution while on the go?

I’m wondering if simply carrying my phone & my BT Sennheiser Momentum HPs would be the most pragmatic portable solution above all? Something for all owners or potential buyers of DAPs to think about I’d imagine.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,676 of 2,501
I've tried few times to make it work with a topping d30 Dac but i can't find the right settings. I was trying with a coax cable

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,677 of 2,501
So I just got the Fiio M9 along with the BGVP DM6 and this balanced cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GR5DP49/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is there anything I should know about the M9 settings that would be best for this quality, balanced output, etc? I am currently using all of the defaults and don't know what many of the features even are or do. I got it for the audio quality.

Thanks! I would appreciate quoting me in the reply so I get an email notification :)

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #1,678 of 2,501
I suspect you'll be right. However, I'm surprised at the lack of MQA support for the M11 given that MQA seems to be gaining popularity.

Incorrect. MQA are just making a lot of noise, and a handful of makers have adopted it. However, MQA was shown to be neither lossless, or truly high-res, resulting in an even larger contingent of manufacturers refusing to support it at all.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #1,679 of 2,501
Incorrect. MQA are just making a lot of noise, and a handful of makers have adopted it. However, MQA was shown to be neither lossless, or truly high-res.

If that is true, and seeing how Tidal is such a big supporter.....would it really surprise us to find another big name rapper behind a product/service that offers nothing of true value to the end consumer?

*Cough* *cough* Beats *cough*.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,680 of 2,501
...MQA was shown to be neither lossless, or truly high-res...
I've heard noise on this... Do you have a link to something I can read that "shows" MQA in this light, or that "debunks" MQA as some kind of myth?
Been thinking about making the switch to Qobuz... not sure how close the libraries are between the two.

Tidal caters so much to the rapper/mainstream pop crowd that I've been considering ditching my subscription anyway, but maybe further reading material will help me make a more informed choice.
Hit me with anything you find might be useful.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back