FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Jan 3, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #1,171 of 2,501
Why are you meaning that replaygain is the trouble maker in this case? Standard settings of replaygain prevent soft clipping, cause the settings normally decreasing the peaks. :wink:..

As replaygain seems to be not corrrectly implemented. I had lots of clipping with replaygain on which were gone when disableing replaygain.

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,172 of 2,501
Great review! The only point I disagree with is left/right handed use. Since the first iPhone I’ve been conditioned to hold touchscreen devices with my left hand and press/swipe using the left thumb/right forefinger. Same with the M9. Didn’t even have to think twice, just immediately reached for it with my left hand. Very simple to operate the buttons with the left thumb, and most of my interactions are with the screen - therefore right finger/s. YMMV but just wanted to put that out there.

very true, if you don't mind using 2 hands, then it's fine. But for one-handed use in the right-hand it's a bit iffy.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #1,173 of 2,501
I also thought you did an excellent and thorough review on the M9 and agree with you on everything but this left handed issue. I read another review that said the same thing about the M9 being designed for left-handed operation. I'm right handed and the button placement and design of the M9 never fazed me. I look at it as a two-handed device because it has a touch screen. I hold it in the left and tap and swipe with the right. I think most people will probably do the same. If you have a smartphone it feels very natural. I can see that your point would be valid if the M9 didn't have a touchscreen or if you wanted to operate the M9 without having to look at it. Anyway... my two cents. Excellent review. Looking forward to your next.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #1,174 of 2,501
Hi, unfortunately the Super XFi does only USB C or with adapter other USB plugs.
The M9 recognizes the Super XFi as a USB device but it plays no sound.

IMG_20190103_234039.jpg

Hi, you can go into developer options and select "audio source" under "select USB configuration". Worked for me.

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,175 of 2,501
I wondered if there is way to wear M9 with a neck lanyard? When you are on the go how do you carry it?

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #1,180 of 2,501
I bought an M9 at Xmas and have been generally pleased with it.

Just read the latest review in Hi-Fi World - They say it is plagued by digital noise ?

They think CD quality stuff is OK but Hi-Res pretty poor.

They claim distortion of 0.13% results in a dynamic range of only 104db (less than my old Fiio X3 2nd Gen)...

...where Fiio claim 117db

Any thoughts - the M9 sounds fine to me (even sounding reasonable with my HD650s).

The only problem I had was that after getting Fiio Link V1.07 on my Amazon Fire 8HD tablet it would not connect to my M9 with 1.03 firmware?

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #1,181 of 2,501

Just read the latest review in Hi-Fi World - They say it is plagued by digital noise ?

They claim distortion of 0.13% results in a dynamic range of only 104db (less than my old Fiio X3 2nd Gen)...

...where Fiio claim 117db

Any thoughts - the M9 sounds fine to me (even sounding reasonable with my HD650s).

The only problem I had was that after getting Fiio Link V1.07 on my Amazon Fire 8HD tablet it would not connect to my M9 with 1.03 firmware?
I didn't experience any digital noise during my time with the M9. Played a variety of files from mp3 to flac to hi-res flac to DSD. No problems that I could hear.

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #1,182 of 2,501
I didn't experience any digital noise during my time with the M9. Played a variety of files from mp3 to flac to hi-res flac to DSD. No problems that I could hear.

BTW I figured out the problem with the Fiio link. I didn't realise you had to switch on Fiio Link in the M9 Fiio Musics settings for it to work. First time I have used this Fiio link stuff.

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,183 of 2,501
which kind of files do you mean?my normal MP3 and FLAC files are working fine with replaygain.... just HiRes such DSD are not working due to missing pre-gain....

I had also a lot of problems with normal FLAC files. Reported this to FiiO, will see.

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,184 of 2,501

I have to admit that with my other DAP, the Sony NW-ZX2, HiRes is a lot of fun. With the M9, HiRes does not add much.
But finally being able to use Qobuz in a meaningful way in have the SPDIF out function to use my own DAC makes a lot of sense and is fun. So I like my M9 a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back