FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Dec 27, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #1,037 of 2,501
Dec 27, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,038 of 2,501
Dec 27, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,040 of 2,501
They are wireless Bluetooth headphones with their own internal amp. No - you don’t need an additional amplifier.

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #1,041 of 2,501
Today I used the USB DAC function for the first time, connecting to an iPhoneXS using Apple's Lightning camera kit USB adapter. I played music from the Apple Music app and directly from a video file in Dropbox; both worked great. The only hiccup I had was that initially I wasn't getting sound to my Sony headphones; I had to power them off and on again. After that, no problem

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #1,043 of 2,501
You are confusing the full USB C compliant standard and all its protocols with manufacturers using USB C just as a physical port and doing only the basic USB data bus stuff over it. I have NOT had any issues charging the M9 with my fully USB Compliant charger and cable (cable is USB C to USB C and is certified for Power Delivery standard).

The M9 does not have any fast charging features. Most devices with a USB C receptacle do not either. The only (generic term) fast charging standard that is USB-IF and Google recommended and pushed through the alliance is Power Delivery. Dash Charging, Quick Charging, and the 4 other new wannabe standards are all 3rd party designs that abuse the USB C standard.

As of 2017, The USB-IF alliances documents on C note that those 3rd party fast charging standards are 'tolerated' but heavilly not recommended as they are dangerous and do not follow typical protocols. And no, the M9 and most devices on the market that use the USB C physical connector do not support PD.

The majority of companies these days do the same thing FiiO is doing. As in using the USB C connector just for its physical reversable connector and to seem more up to date than actually being fully compliant. There are a paltry amount of devices that have the full USB C specification on the market. The few that do are laptops.

I'm having hit-and-miss success with charging. Using the any USB A to USB C cable works fine for me. But so far only one USB C to USB C option has worked for me (to an Anker adaptor with a PD outlet. Interestingly, a different Anker adapter with the same PD outlet doesn't work (but charges other USB C things fine). It's a bit of a mystery.

Things that have not worked: USB C cable plugged in to a MacBook Air USB C port with a straight USB C cable (2 different cables tried). Using a USB C to A adaptor coupled with another USB A to USB C in the same port. The curious thing was that it worked in one direction, but when I flipped the cable around it did not work. I was able to replicate that same behavior on the Anker adaptor.

The cables involved are:
Anker USB C to USB C cable that came with the adaptor
Apple USB C cable
Apple USB A to USB C adaptor
Anker USB A to USB C adaptor
The adaptor that came with the M9.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,045 of 2,501
I've noticed just now that whenever I plugin my M9 to the PC for updating my music library, the device will allow me to copy music to it but after a few minutes disconnect and go into charging mode. I think
@JamesFiiO

Fiio link is a killer feature, but would it be possible to have it set ton on by default so I don't have to switch it on every time ?

Thx :)

To add to that, I have noticed that there are times where I would enabled the link via my M9 device and the client option via the mobile app, but it would disconnect causing me to have to enable it again. I haven't used it in a while (probably won't as much since there are features that I would like to utilize that aren't available yet) but I'll try it the next time I listen to it and see if I encounter it again.

@FiiO Also, I've noticed that when having the M9 connected to a PC to transfer files while the sleep and power off settings are enabled, the device will shut off and go into charging mode. Is there a way to prevent this without shutting off these options?
Update: I think I've figured it out. Having the Sleep Mode disabled and the Idle Power Shut off on will prevent this from occurring.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,046 of 2,501
I have the fiio m9 which I just purchased and the sony wh 1000 xm2. Do you think I need a headphone amp to improve sound. Can you recommend a power amp.
If you use your Sony with bluetooth, use Sony's LDAC BT connection. It's the best way for the XM2 and M9. :wink:

btw. Sony uses an own internal dig. amplifier based on S-Master HX

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,047 of 2,501
Fiio Music App --> Settings --> Scan for music
Many thanks!

Hey! That has scooped up all my Qobuz downloads! That's cool because I find it a pain to open / operate the Qobuz app.

Anyone else think this is cool?

I wonder if song search works well. (Seems to!)

Update - hmmmm. It hasn't found every qobuz album I downloaded (to the sd card) Is there a trick to it?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,050 of 2,501
Many thanks!

Hey! That has scooped up all my Qobuz downloads! That's cool because I find it a pain to open / operate the Qobuz app.

Anyone else think this is cool?

I wonder if song search works well. (Seems to!)

Update - hmmmm. It hasn't found every qobuz album I downloaded (to the sd card) Is there a trick to it?

The Fiio Music App can not play Qobuz files unless you bought them before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back