FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Dec 22, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #917 of 2,501
@FiiO / Brooko
All my files are tagged with the replaygain tag of foobar2000 and the switch is on (album). All my files are tagged with MP3tag. All my files are played via tagging ("MP3 album tagged"), never via folder. All my files are correct decoded and encoded and tagged.
The "gapless playback" function is working in the most cases @M7, but not M9. The M7 has more micro gaps in the files, the M9 not.
-> in my mind, you can find the issue in the caching algorithm / program code of M7 and M9, not in the files.

I tested it now with "gapless playback" switch on / off and there is NO difference between switch setting. :wink:
I always use my Sony ANC headphones WH-1000XM3 -> but it is a headset. The FiiO music app of my M7 crashed many times before FiiO fixed it -> it seems it was a bluetooth call / invoke problem maybe the code (call, invoke in the program code) for a BT headset is another as for a normal headphone device.

Maybe, FiiO has forgotten to declare the "gapless playback" function / switch in the way of a bluetooth call -> the switch is currently without function if I use bluetooth @FiiO!
Switch OFF -> I can hear the "second" gap between track change
Switch ON -> I can hear the "second" gap between track change
In both cases, the gap is the same!

Remember:
All files are normal FLAC files (16 bit, 44,1KHz, stereo channel)
All files are decoded with EAC and encoded with a normal FLAC encoder with standard compression
All files are tagged with MP3tag
All files have a replaygain tag included.
All files are playing fine with difference hardware devices excluding FiiO M7 and M9!
I always use a Sony headphones WH-1000XM3
but it is a "bluetooth headset" with call function

Dec 22, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #918 of 2,501
Hey guys, just updated my M9 to 1.0.3. Has anyone tried using Airplay from iPhone to the M9? My iPhone can see ‘Fiio Music Player’ but won’t connect. Any ideas?
Yes, I tried it as soon as I updated and it worked fine.
1. Connected M9 to iPhone as WiFi hotspot. M9 screen shows AirPlay
2. Opened music app on iPhone, select a track, choose M9 as AirPlay destination.
3. Play.

It was that simple for me.

Dec 22, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #919 of 2,501
Yes, I tried it as soon as I updated and it worked fine.
1. Connected M9 to iPhone as WiFi hotspot. M9 screen shows AirPlay
2. Opened music app on iPhone, select a track, choose M9 as AirPlay destination.
3. Play.

It was that simple for me.
Ok so I connected the M9 to the iPhone using Wi-Fi hotspot and it worked for me too. Except the iPhone can’t receive a Wi-Fi signal (say from a remote Plex server) which connected via personal hotspot. Airplay should work as long as both the M9 and iPhone are on the same LAN, and yet while the iPhone ‘sees’ the M9 as an airplay device, it won’t connect unless it’s connected to the M9 via personal hotspot.

My use case is this: I have my iPhone connected to my Plex server at home via Wi-Fi. I want to stream from Plex via iPhone to the M9. If I connect my iPhone to the M9 via personal hotspot I’m using mobile data on my iPhone to stream from Plex, because Wi-Fi receive is off on the iPhone in personal hotspot mode. So I want to use Airplay without having to use personal hotspot.

Dec 22, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #920 of 2,501
Ok so I connected the M9 to the iPhone using Wi-Fi hotspot and it worked for me too. Except the iPhone can’t receive a Wi-Fi signal (say from a remote Plex server) which connected via personal hotspot. Airplay should work as long as both the M9 and iPhone are on the same LAN, and yet while the iPhone ‘sees’ the M9 as an airplay device, it won’t connect unless it’s connected to the M9 via personal hotspot.

My use case is this: I have my iPhone connected to my Plex server at home via Wi-Fi. I want to stream from Plex via iPhone to the M9. If I connect my iPhone to the M9 via personal hotspot I’m using mobile data on my iPhone to stream from Plex, because Wi-Fi receive is off on the iPhone in personal hotspot mode. So I want to use Airplay without having to use personal hotspot.
I think what you’ll want to try in that case is to connect the M9 to the iPhone via cable and put the M9 into USB-DAC mode.

You can also theoretically connect to the iPhone hotspot using Bluetooth.

Dec 22, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #921 of 2,501
I think what you’ll want to try in that case is to connect the M9 to the iPhone via cable and put the M9 into USB-DAC mode.
is have to get a lightning to USB-C or OTG cable in that case, and even then I’m not sure that will work. The whole point here is to keep these devices wireless and retain the lossless quality of Airplay.

You can also theoretically connect to the iPhone hotspot using Bluetooth.
Technically yes but then I may as well just connect with BT directly (which also doesn’t seem to work - if you set the M9 in BT amp receiver mode, and try pair an iPhone, the M9 generates a pair code but there’s nowhere on the iPhone to input that code to pair them). Also since the M9 only supports SBC in receive mode, quality takes a huge hit compared to Wi-Fi.

Basically there are quite a few kinks that still need to be sorted out. Like true Airplay mode, and AAC or Aptx BT receive mode. Or just getting the M9 to pair with the iPhone in receive mode would be a good start!

Edit: I’ve now managed to connect the iPhone to the M9 in BT receive mode (on the M9). You first have to connect them using regular BT (and then you can input the pair code), and only then switch the M9 into BT receive mode and THEN connect to the M9 on the iPhone. Convoluted but at least it works. Pity the quality (SBC) is so poor! Really want AAC receive on the M9, or fully working Airplay.

And...what’s BT ‘Sink’ Mode? :p

90B0E563-A99A-4CAA-851B-94D72B85AB11.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #922 of 2,501
is have to get a lightning to USB-C or OTG cable in that case, and even then I’m not sure that will work. The whole point here is to keep these devices wireless and retain the lossless quality of Airplay.

Technically yes but then I may as well just connect with BT directly (which also doesn’t seem to work - if you set the M9 in BT amp receiver mode, and try pair an iPhone, the M9 generates a pair code but there’s nowhere on the iPhone to input that code to pair them). Also since the M9 only supports SBC in receive mode, quality takes a huge hit compared to Wi-Fi.

Basically there are quite a few kinks that still need to be sorted out. Like true Airplay mode, and AAC or Aptx BT receive mode. Or just getting the M9 to pair with the iPhone in receive mode would be a good start!

Edit: I’ve now managed to connect the iPhone to the M9 in BT receive mode (on the M9). You first have to connect them using regular BT (and then you can input the pair code), and only then switch the M9 into BT receive mode and THEN connect to the M9 on the iPhone. Convoluted but at least it works. Pity the quality (SBC) is so poor! Really want AAC receive on the M9, or fully working Airplay.

And...what’s BT ‘Sink’ Mode? :p

What I was suggesting was connecting to your iPhone hotspot using BT and the using AirPlay, not putting the M9 into BT amp or receiving mode. I’m not sure it will work, but it’s worth a shot.

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #926 of 2,501
What I was suggesting was connecting to your iPhone hotspot using BT and the using AirPlay, not putting the M9 into BT amp or receiving mode. I’m not sure it will work, but it’s worth a shot.
Apparently not possible. When I’m paired to the iPhone’s personal hotspot using BT, Wi-Fi is STILL disabled on the iPhone and therefore Airplay is not possible. I also get a wierd error message on the M9 and an exclamation mark through the Wi-Fi logo.

1059F549-40AF-4DFE-B882-93295B938CED.jpeg

B001186F-6BBE-428B-95FE-369B3991FF8A.jpeg

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #927 of 2,501
So in summary, I currently:

1. Can’t stream content from the iPhone/iPad to the M9 using Airplay unless the two devices are paired using the iDevice’s personal hotspot.

2. In which case Wi-Fi is disabled on the iDevice, and any streaming service running in the iDevice switches to cellular data.

3. DLNA is erratic at best. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

4. The M9’s BT receive mode is limited to low quality SBC. LDAC support is promised for future firmware revisions. AAC would be nice in send or receive mode, as would Aptx LL.

All of the above are, admittedly, peripheral issues to the M9’s main function as a high quality, powerful, fully balanced dap, at which it excels! Hopefully my raising these issues encourages Fiio to make it even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back