FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Dec 21, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #902 of 2,501
How big are your micro gaps Sven? And what else is engaged? Currently on 1.03. Playing Floyd's "The Wall". 16/44.1 FLAC.
Gapless on, play through folders on
Replaygain off
Lockscreen album art on
Locksreen lyrics on

No gaps - even micro. Just wondering if its a setting?

There is still a tiny gap with my aac files.
Micro gaps are just a milli second or so. The gaps between track changes are 0,5 second or longer (such the gaps for MP3). The gapless playback is a joke for normal encoded FLAC files. In addition, If I skip back the change is normal between the files - this is not file related! In my mind, the pre-caching between device <-> SD card is bad. I cannot believe in such basic issues!

btw. The gaps are not file or album related. I can hear 1-5 (or less or more) songs without any problem when the gap occurs; the same with the track changes. This is the reason why FiiO must check the caching algorithm.
For the next test I will reset the whole data base and new scan....

/edit

I hope the scan solved this problem - currently no gaps between tracks. We will see.... and again gaps after 3 files!
The gapless playback is NOT FIXED for FLAC encoded files!

It seems, the micro gaps in tracks are not existing (anymore, it is more a problem of the M7), but the gapless playback issue is still alive (it's better @M7).

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #903 of 2,501
Micro gaps are just a milli second or so. The gaps between track changes are 0,5 second or longer (such the gaps for MP3). The gapless playback is a joke for normal encoded FLAC files. In addition, If I skip back the change is normal between the files - this is not file related! In my mind, the pre-caching between device <-> SD card is bad. I cannot believe in such basic issues!

btw. The gaps are not file or album related. I can hear 1-5 (or less or more) songs without any problem when the gap occurs; the same with the track changes. This is the reason why FiiO must check the caching algorithm.
For the next test I will reset the whole data base and new scan....

/edit

I hope the scan solved this problem - currently no gaps between tracks. We will see.... and again gaps after 3 files!
The gapless playback is NOT FIXED for FLAC encoded files!

It seems, the micro gaps in tracks are not existing (anymore, it is more a problem of the M7), but the gapless playback issue is still alive (it's better @M7).

Weird - I can only talk about my own situation. No issues on my M9 - Flac 16/44.1. 4 albums in a row (well 3 albums - one was a double). No gaps. No pauses. Its why I asked you if you had a setting engaged which might have been causing it .....

Dec 21, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #904 of 2,501
It's not a setting problem ,cause the micro gaps are @M7 AND M9 (there were two micro gaps in the last two tracks again AND a GAP between track change @M9)!
Do you have songs >4mins? My mix album have tracks >4-5 min...but the gaps are also in tracks <4 min....

The pre-caching is not working @M7 AND M9, hence you cannot say which file is affected or when the problem occurs as next! FiiO has to fix it! Maybe the data transfer of the SD card is involved in the issue like this. I bought a new 512 GB Samsung micro SD - in my mind, the card is fast enough for a reading data transfer.

Remember my BT issues @M7. FiiO fixed it, it was not a problem with my files. :wink:

I hope, FiiO will support 3rd party music player such my preferred gonemad player. The player can perfect gapless playback also for MP3 files. :)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #905 of 2,501
Well on dark side of the moon there are 2 tracks over 7 mintes and one over 6.

Again - no gaps

I'm just saying I can't replicate your problem

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #906 of 2,501
Dear friend,

Did you update the media library after adding new music files?

Best regards

@FiiO I mentioned this back on the other page, but that doesn't appear to work for me.

I have noticed though, that since we can now utilize the Fiio Music App via our phones, through the Fiio Link mode, on my phone, the recently added tracks do show up. However, when trying to go through the Fiio app on my M9 device, I'm still not seeing the latest tracks added. I haven't changed the location of where I copy my music to each time I update my library.

It should be noted that the ES File Explorer app can see my recently added files as well (I know it's a third party app, just wanted to confirm that this doesn't happen with other apps installed on the M0).

Also, it's nice that we do now have the ability to use our phones as a control for our DAP. However, for my uses it's not that useful at the moment since features like searching and sorting an album via it's track list instead of alphabetical order does not yet exist.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #907 of 2,501
I’m new to FiiO gear and the music app; if this a dumb noob question forgive me, but I did search first.

In the music app on the M9 is there no way to add a track or album to the current list of playing songs (as opposed to a playlist)? Pretty much every music app I’ve ever used allows me to create a playing queue without actually creating and saving a playlist.

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #908 of 2,501
@JamesFiiO
So I'm writing this in the hope to get an answer from FiiO. To begin this I will just say the M9 is a great little DAP. It supports many of the ways I listen to music and I think it's sound quality is exceptional. But there is one aspect I find the FiiO M9 crippled, so please will FiiO or one of you guys out there help me? Some of you will have heard me going on about playing my music library (that I have on the M9) to my HiFi system. Using Bluetooth APTX-HD it is simple. Just connect the M9 in APTX-HD mode to my APTX-HD receiver which is connected to my Arcam DAC and HiFi...perfect. But would somebody from FiiO please tell me how I can play over WiFi, and not Bluetooth, to my HiFi directly from the FiiO M9. Using my Samsung mobile phone it is simple because many apps 'discover' my Arcam WiFi DAC and it's just as simple using WiFi as using Bluetooth. But on the M9 without the right software apps it's impossible, whether I connect to my Arcam Box Direct WiFi or through my own Virgin WiFi (Why would I want to use WiFi rather than Bluetooth? Because it sounds better. Just a little, but to me that is a lot). So FiiO my question is do I have to keep using my mobile Samsung phone if I want to play to my HiFi system over WiFi (and that is not a problem if I am clear about the M9's limits) or are you going to build in an app so we can cast to WiFi? If I have missed a simple method of playing through WiFi to my HiFi I apologise, but I do realistically think FiiO have missed something here. How do we cast from the M9 to WiFi speakers or a HiFi?? So FiiO are you going to build casting into the Fiio app or will you whitelist an app that can do this? Please respond. If you will not do this or cannot do this then fair enough I will still enjoy the FiiO M9 but will have to use my Samsung phone to Cast to my WiFi system. Apologies for going on about this but I have not had an answer.

Steve

C'mon FiiO please answer. How do I play my music library on the M9, using the FiiO app, over WiFi, to my HiFi system? I have no idea. Please help me.

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #909 of 2,501
Well on dark side of the moon there are 2 tracks over 7 mintes and one over 6.

Again - no gaps

I'm just saying I can't replicate your problem
how many files do you have? Do you stored your files internal or to the SD card? Is your file manager app crashed if you open it? :wink:
I have +20.000 files but this should be not the trouble maker regarding gaps.
I tested it with different devices since many, many years.
Nearby all files are ripped from orginal CD's and stored as FLAC's.
No device has problems like micro gaps - my both FiiO's are the first devices with this problems!
Tested with:
- 2000 Euro music hardware player
- several Squeezeboxes (touch, transporter, boom and v3)
- several Archos media player
- Sony Walkman ZX100
- several Android tablets with different versions / player
and no of these player makes trouble - all FLAC's are playing fine without any gap IN the tracks and without any gaps between track changes.
All my FLAC's are decoded with EAC accurate rip or with my hardware player (limited speed while ripping) and encoded within EAC / foobar FLAC encoder based on standard compression.
Trust me, my files are not the trouble maker. :wink:

I don't know if bluetooth envolved in the gaps - but I don't think so - but my M7 crashed with my Sony 1000XM3 until it fixed by FiiO, although FiiO thought my files are the trouble maker. :wink:

@FiiO
Is it possible that the Sony headphones (remember it's a headset) are involved in micro gaps / gaps between changes?
My Sony Walkman is playing fine with BT LDAC and my tablets are playing fine with LDAC BT... :wink:

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #911 of 2,501
Hey guys - new to this thread and player. Proud new M9 owner. Quick question: any idea if there’s an option to customize the firmware yet? As in edit some UI elements, text etc.?

There are a few instances of incorrect grammar and spelling I’ve noticed in the UI, for example, that I’d really like to squash. For instance, when searching for a DLNA server an none is found, the error message ‘0 servers founded’ pops up.

As for DLNA, it’s hit or miss, with my very active Plex DLNA server sometimes appearing and sometimes not.

If anyone knows how to get into the firmware data files, I’m sure these are all fairly easy fixes. Otherwise who can we report these errors to for fixing? @JamesFiiO?

Edit: any idea if we can install Plex apk (officially or otherwise)?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #912 of 2,501
I am thinking of getting this player can you guys tell me if I will be able to play my spotify library whilst offline as I see this player comes without spotify pre installed
Yes you can. Spotify is easy to install. I download the Spotify apk from the FiiO site to my SD card and installed it using the File Explorer. Offline play works fine.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #914 of 2,501
Thanks for your reply this will be my first DAP can you tell me how the spotify sound quality is like I will be playing the premium which is 320 kbps
All I can tell you is that it sounds better than offline listening did with my iPhone.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #915 of 2,501
Hope you don't mind me breaking the post up - easier to reply.

And in advance - not doubting you or blaming your files - just trying to ascertain differences between your set-up and mine (where you are having issues and I'm not). Might mean that FiiO can get to the root cause quicker :)

how many files do you have? Do you stored your files internal or to the SD card? Is your file manager app crashed if you open it? :wink:
Files = just under 7000. Stored files are on 128 Gb Sandisk Ultra micro SD. No my File Manager doesn't crash if I open it.

I have +20.000 files but this should be not the trouble maker regarding gaps. I tested it with different devices since many, many years.
Agree - as long as the album is recorded as gapless - it should work as gapless regardless of the device, and as long as the player has that ability.

Nearby all files are ripped from orginal CD's and stored as FLAC's.
No device has problems like micro gaps - my both FiiO's are the first devices with this problems!
Mine are mostly aac, but I have folders with test tracks in different resolution from redbook to 24/192 and DSD - mainly for testing DAPs when I'm reviewing them. For testing gapless - I predominantly use 4 full Floyd albums - all at 16/44.1 FLAC. I used EAC to rip up until 2 years ago, and since then switching to dbpoweramp. All are ripped from my own CDs, and meticulously tagged. I also transcode using dbpoweramp, and build replay-gain info into the tags.

Tested with:
- 2000 Euro music hardware player
- several Squeezeboxes (touch, transporter, boom and v3)
- several Archos media player
- Sony Walkman ZX100
- several Android tablets with different versions / player
and no of these player makes trouble - all FLAC's are playing fine without any gap IN the tracks and without any gaps between track changes.
Never questioned the files or format of ripping - I was more concerned with settings on the player so we could help track down if there was a common theme with the problems. FTR FiiO's gapless has been a bit hit and miss depending on format and player. Some have been really good - some have had ongoing issues with micro-gaps.

All my FLAC's are decoded with EAC accurate rip or with my hardware player (limited speed while ripping) and encoded within EAC / foobar FLAC encoder based on standard compression.
Trust me, my files are not the trouble maker. :wink:
Did not imply or suggest they were. Looking to find out things such as:
  • Is replaygain engaged, and do your tracks have it encoded?
  • Using any EQ?
  • Playing by album (tagged library) or by folder? Mine was using folder browsing.
  • A few posts ago I listed my settings - would be good if you could do same - just gives FiiO more info.
I don't know if bluetooth envolved in the gaps - but I don't think so - but my M7 crashed with my Sony 1000XM3 until it fixed by FiiO, although FiiO thought my files are the trouble maker. :wink:
Can you retry with Bluetooth disengaged and using a wired headphone. I agree - should not be cause, but worth trying.

Again - don't doubt anything you are doing - just want to try and help find a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back