FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Nov 1, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #332 of 2,501
Thanks for the info. If it's not too much trouble, can I ask you to try a Spotify offline download and see if the Spotify EQ works? I'm assuming it will, but you never know.

Damn, too bad Fiio's 10-band EQ doesn't work to effect the music via the streaming apps.

I wish that Fiio would include a hardware bass boost on all of their devices. It's such a great feature, why don't they include it on all of their DAPs as well?

Just downloaded the track 'Human' by Rag and Bone Man. Switched off my WiFi and played the track as a download through earphones and the Spotify EQ and the other sound adjustments all worked. Swiched the WiFi back on and streamed the download to my Jam Symphony speaker but the EQ was disabled. So you can equalise streaming into the DAP and you can EQ downloads but you can't equalise when you stream to a speaker from Spotify. I think I have probably done all of this correctly. The Spotify equaliser is not too bad in practice. The Fiio implementation looks a lot better.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #333 of 2,501
It seems that there is a strange anomaly. When using the Fiio M9 over Bluetooth the EQ using Spotify works very well, but using the Fiio embedded app it seems the EQ does not work when using Bluetooth. Could somebody else check this out? I have noticed on my Samsung S9 plus the Fiio app runs quieter than the Samsung app. On the M9 the Spotify app sounds slightly louder and better presented than the Fiio app. It would be good if Fiio would allow the use of some better implemented music apps. It seems to me the hardware is good, the sound is good, but I think the Fiio music app itself may be weakest link. It is good but for some reason the same track on the Spotify app seems to sound a little better than on the Fiio app. Could be my imagination, could others check this?

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #335 of 2,501
@dharmasteve would it be too much to ask to try deezer if you see an equalizer?

An equalizer is visible in deezer when you have V4A or another third party app.

Curious if you see one.

I haven't loaded Deezer onto the M9 yet. I will do that later on and see if I can answer your question.

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #337 of 2,501
I intend to use the M9 as a USB DAC, connected to my laptop. I also want the M9 to send the resulting analog signal to a dedicated headphone amplifier. Is the M9's line out a 'true' line out that bypasses the M9's internal amping section? I want to avoid double amping.

Can the USB DAC function be used simultaneously with the LINE OUT function?

Thanks

Any signal is going to be amplified to some extent, otherwise it would be in the milivolt range.

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #338 of 2,501
@dharmasteve would it be too much to ask to try deezer if you see an equalizer?

An equalizer is visible in deezer when you have V4A or another third party app.

Curious if you see one.

OK dokay. Just installed Deezer. After playing around I found the equaliser. It shows up looking exactly the same as the Spotify equaliser and it works fine. I can't find any method to stream Deezer from the M9 to my Jam Symphony WiFi speakers yet. Sound is excellent using Deezer on high quality. For some reason only Spotify makes it easy to stream to my WiFi speaker. In general the sound is really good. I've only tested with the BQEYZ KB100, the Sony MDR EX 650 earphones and Yamaha HPH 200 on ear headphones. The bass output of the M9 on flat settings is very good and suits my taste. I'm getting to like the M9 a lot and prefer it to my Fiio X3 2nd gen. I don't feel the need to amp it. On high gain the volume goes to 120 and 68 is well loud enough to my older ears. I think Fiio have done a very good job and this is a keeper to me. I'm sure that any steaming to WiFi speaker issues and other minor issues will be firmware resolved.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #339 of 2,501
OK dokay. Just installed Deezer. After playing around I found the equaliser. It shows up looking exactly the same as the Spotify equaliser and it works fine. I can't find any method to stream Deezer from the M9 to my Jam Symphony WiFi speakers yet. Sound is excellent using Deezer on high quality. For some reason only Spotify makes it easy to stream to my WiFi speaker. In general the sound is really good. I've only tested with the BQEYZ KB100, the Sony MDR EX 650 earphones and Yamaha HPH 200 on ear headphones. The bass output of the M9 on flat settings is very good and suits my taste. I'm getting to like the M9 a lot and prefer it to my Fiio X3 2nd gen. I don't feel the need to amp it. On high gain the volume goes to 120 and 68 is well loud enough to my older ears. I think Fiio have done a very good job and this is a keeper to me. I'm sure that any steaming to WiFi speaker issues and other minor issues will be firmware resolved.
Do you have a large music catalogue? If so, I'd be interested in knowing how music scanning handles. I've seen videos with just a small amount of music (hundreds), and it scanned fairly quick but not in the thousands. Also, is the startup speed as long as I've seen in the videos online? It seemed to take a full minute to load.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #340 of 2,501
Do you have a large music catalogue? If so, I'd be interested in knowing how music scanning handles. I've seen videos with just a small amount of music (hundreds), and it scanned fairly quick but not in the thousands. Also, is the startup speed as long as I've seen in the videos online? It seemed to take a full minute to load.
Not sure exactly what you mean. Anyway my music library is about 3600 on the micro SD at the moment. It took about 2-3 mins to scan the lot first time and once done that's it. Android starts a bit slower than my Samsung S9 plus but not in anyway too slow. I suppose a little longer than a modern mobile phone. Once it's on then its just a matter of using like a mobile phone music app. I don't find it too slow. Spotify works fairly spontaneously. Deezer maybe a tiny bit slower but quick enough. The Fiio app works quite quickly. Once you get used to some of the gestures getting around the apps is fairly quick. I do like the size of the screen and the unit, solid and a good size, good clarity display, but when typing in the keyboard it's quite tiny and it's easy to make lots of typing errors.

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #341 of 2,501

Okay!! That's just great Thank you very much on checking this.

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #342 of 2,501
8. FiiO M9 Hi-Res Audio Player丨The Ultimate in Versatility
The M9 utilizes the modern USB Type-C connector, which allows it to not only be used as a USB DAC but also allows output of digital audio signals to other devices through USB.

8 (1).jpg
8 (2).jpg
8 (3).jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 2, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #343 of 2,501
Just a quick question about the M9 and SACD .iso files. In the past I have always ripped my SACD .iso files to DSF files and played them, can the M9 play directly from the .iso without the need to rip to DSF first?

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #344 of 2,501
I have a lot of 1 to 3 hr mix shows, downloaded (mp3) from Soundcloud. When skipping through the mix it seemingly takes 10-20 seconds to start playing that track again. That's the only negative for me, thus far.

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #345 of 2,501
Dear friend,

The M9 runs on deeply customized system. There are four 3rd-party apps preinstalled on the M9, and they are Tidal, MOOV, KKBOX and 网易云音乐(NetEaseCloud).

To ensure system stability, only certain apps in our white list are allowed to be installed. You can copy the apk file of the qualified app to the M9, then open the File Management app, locate and click on the apk file to install it.

The apps in the M9's white list are inlcuding Spotify, Qobuz, Roon and Deezer, and the app download links for them are as follows:

Spotify: click here

Qobuz: click here

Roon: click here

Deezer: click here

Best regards
Can you store Tidal tracks offline?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back