[FiiO M5] Compact and Versatile Hi-Res Music Player
Dec 10, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #602 of 773
Hello everyone,

I've just received the SK-M5 A. It is good quality and seems pretty solid.
Some disapointment :
- no hole for the jack 3.5,So the M5 will be only useable in bluetooth or with an external dac on USB.
- Hard to remove for changing sd card or use jack cause you need a cross-head screw (which is included in the box of the SK-M5 A)

And a question, how could we make transfer files in bluetooth or wifi ?
Thanks

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #603 of 773
I noticed that some files were not played and just skipped. I use FLAC 16 bit 44 kHz.

Also when trying to skip to next song, sometimes it change to screen saver, so need to touch several times to skip to next song.

Has anyone experienced this.

In overall sound wise is good, but pairing with FH7 seems the power is lacking to drive the IEM. Or maybe I need to upgrade my files to DSD?

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #604 of 773
The unit is bugged with various glitches as the ones you mentioned.
Sometimes screen is not responding especially when hi res files are being played.
@FiiO should iron the UI with a firmware update.

As for power it can drive my FH7 to ear bleeding levels so I don't know what is happening with yours.

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #605 of 773
Hello everyone,

I've just received the SK-M5 A. It is good quality and seems pretty solid.
Some disapointment :
- no hole for the jack 3.5,So the M5 will be only useable in bluetooth or with an external dac on USB.
- Hard to remove for changing sd card or use jack cause you need a cross-head screw (which is included in the box of the SK-M5 A)

And a question, how could we make transfer files in bluetooth or wifi ?
Thanks
Thanks for the review. Perhaps the engineer thinks that it will be awkward to have 3.5 cable hanging out from your wrist.

As far as I know file transfer can only be done via cable
The unit is bugged with various glitches as the ones you mentioned.
Sometimes screen is not responding especially when hi res files are being played.
@FiiO should iron the UI with a firmware update.

As for power it can drive my FH7 to ear bleeding levels so I don't know what is happening with yours.

Ah ok. Just checked and I am still in 1.3.0 firmware, will try to update and check for any improvements.

Good to know that you use FH7 as well. Have tou tried it with different DAC. I lost my X5 3rd gen so currently only using M5, but seems that X5 3rd gen and F5 provide more sound clarity with the same sampling.

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #611 of 773
Ok, I got my wrist band / case too.
Quite disappointing for a second iteration..

What's inside:
1x normal silicone wrist watch band - you can use to another watch or use another one if this broken. That's good.
1x polycarbonate (?) case for M5 - made from 2 pieces + buttons.
1x extra set of screws - a set it's already used to keep the 2 parts of the case together
1x screwdriver
1x user manual
Untitled-1.jpg

Now, the case will add about 5-6mm to the M5 - this is quite big.
Untitled-2.jpg

However, there is a major problem for me, and probably for all:
Untitled-3.jpg

I don't say about the fact that you lose acces to the microSD card - you still can acces it using the USB, BUT there is no hole for the 3.5mm jack.

That means you can use it only with wireless earphones. And BT transmitting of this device is kind of crap. It's also dependent of the DAC used in your earphones - to give you quality sound.

That clearly affect the device functionality - you cannot use it as a BT receiver and you cannot use internal DAC for playing - you get same quality as using a phone instead.

And it's not convenient to mount the case each time you go outside for running then unmount it each time you get back and want to listen in better conditions. It has screws.

So FiiO - your engineers have committed it again. Please make a hole in that case for the 3.5mm jack.
I know I will do it.

P.S. Sorry for pics quality - I used my phone.

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #615 of 773
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back