FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Nov 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #1,878 of 2,001
Hi guys,
i'm thinking of buying the M3 and i need an advice. I'm aware of naming issues and some other UI issues as well that the screen is far fron the best. I'm looking for a budget player to listen to about 1 hour a day with my AKG K451. 
Do you think FiiO will support this player and update the firmware in the future or it's better to wait for a next gen model?

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,879 of 2,001
  Hi guys,
i'm thinking of buying the M3 and i need an advice. I'm aware of naming issues and some other UI issues as well that the screen is far fron the best. I'm looking for a budget player to listen to about 1 hour a day with my AKG K451. 
Do you think FiiO will support this player and update the firmware in the future or it's better to wait for a next gen model?

From what I've been told, Fiio has stopped manufacturing the M3

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,881 of 2,001
Hi guys,

I personally really like the m3 but I don't think there will be any updates and the UI is functional rather than good. For sound quality and size/weight I don't think you can beat it and it is perfect for the gym or out and about. I would probably go x1ii if your budget allows and you don't need it to be really small and there will definitely be updates on FW for that.
I will say that the biggest surprise for me was how well the m3 drives headphones and it performs way beyond any expectations I had. For the price it is a steal and well worth considering as long as the few niggles with screen and UI aren't a deal breaker for you.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,882 of 2,001
I personally really like the m3 but I don't think there will be any updates and the UI is functional rather than good. For sound quality and size/weight I don't think you can beat it and it is perfect for the gym or out and about. I would probably go x1ii if your budget allows and you don't need it to be really small and there will definitely be updates on FW for that.
I will say that the biggest surprise for me was how well the m3 drives headphones and it performs way beyond any expectations I had. For the price it is a steal and well worth considering as long as the few niggles with screen and UI aren't a deal breaker for you.

Thanks. The portability is very important and the price is on spot. X1 II looks better but a bit pricey for me. Will consider M3 but it would be a shame if they release the next gen afterwards.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,883 of 2,001
@Makeyeu if you're willing to fork up a bit more to gain more features (bluetooth, usb dac, etc) while still retain portability Hidisz AP60 & Shanling M1 is new options. The M3 might be better for standalone, just "plug and play" performance out of it HO though

BTW, does anyone know whether firmware after 1.7 is out yet?

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #1,884 of 2,001
@Makeyeu if you're willing to fork up a bit more to gain more features (bluetooth, usb dac, etc) while still retain portability Hidisz AP60 & Shanling M1 is new options. The M3 might be better for standalone, just "plug and play" performance out of it HO though

BTW, does anyone know whether firmware after 1.7 is out yet

wanna ask, what is the current latest firmware for M3?

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,887 of 2,001
TBH, I don't think I'd bother. It's a pain having another box with a wire connection the two and the M3 already provides quite a healthy output. I don't think that the sound would improve into Monks or the Asura iems.

If there were a line out, I might be more inclined, but I find the M3 goes extremely loud with my m100 and I'm often listening down on 15, which is quite low.

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,888 of 2,001
Can anybody shed a light on the reason why Fiio only had this in production for less than a year.
seems alarmingly short to be honest.
I have one of these and am fairly happy with it, besides some design decisions on the firmware side.
Controlling the device is pain in the butt (everytime you select a new song you have to start from the top level of the device.... why?), but the sound quality makes up for it.

I'm just worried if I'm going to run into strange isuses with this thing if Fiio decided to pull the plug on it so fast.
It's not even shown on their site anymore.
I've had this happen with other devices in the past where they where brand new and after only a few months the manufacturer acted like the device didn't exist.

I've had mayor issues with the devices back then, that's why I'm curious to see the reason here.
The M3 is juts begging for a firmware upgrade to fix some poor design decisions.... please Fiio, don't abandon the M3 just yet.

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,889 of 2,001
@MrSpaniard

You say the FiiO M3 is no longer shown on the FiiO website, but that's not so. Here's the URL the FiiO M3 webpage:

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/47

In the last couple of months, FiiO have said they are working on a firmware update with improvements including sleep timer.

Enjoy!

Peter

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,890 of 2,001
Hmm interesting....
I looked on their Dutch website and saw it gone.
Along with a previous message in this thread about the M3 being out of production, made me jump to that conclusion.

I'm still not entirely sold that they are still making them though.
Looking forward for the firmware update :) hope they fixed the annoying way for browsing to the next song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back