FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Oct 8, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #1,846 of 2,001
Do you think it is possible o reverse engineer the FW? I know te Fiio X5 has a firmware extractor available but I've seen no one trying to destructure any other Fiio Firmware.

...meh, I'm gonna give a try anyway: the Firmware for the M3 is an HEX format, maybe I can figure some things out about how it functions, at least.
I'll keep y'all in touch about my endeavor (even though it will be, without any doubt, a struggle). :wink:

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #1,848 of 2,001
I already gave up on waiting and are aiming for X1 2nd gen/ Shanling M1 for my dedicated, portable player to store my 4500+ music.
M3 will be delegated to daily beater, and will carry much less music when I just need a small companion on a short trip.
Or... Just make T3 happen Fiio!

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #1,849 of 2,001
I bought a new M3 and both my Samsung Evo 16GB card and Sandisk 8GB card contents are not detecting in the device. When trying to access the cards, an error message "Disk Error" on firmware 1.4 and  "card storage format not supported" on firmware 1.7 is shown. Can anyone help me with a fix? Both cards are working fine on my laptop and other mobile devices and I formatted them in FAT32 format again from pc to make sure that isn't problem

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #1,850 of 2,001
I bought a new M3 and both my Samsung Evo 16GB card and Sandisk 8GB card contents are not detecting in the device. When trying to access the cards, an error message "Disk Error" on firmware 1.4 and  "card storage format not supported" on firmware 1.7 is shown. Can anyone help me with a fix? Both cards are working fine on my laptop and other mobile devices and I formatted them in FAT32 format again from pc to make sure that isn't problem

Hmm, very odd.
Maybe obvious but have you tried formatting the card in the M3 itself, then loading music folders using the USB connection? Although I have never had problems using a card adapter in a laptop either...

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #1,851 of 2,001
Hmm, very odd.
Maybe obvious but have you tried formatting the card in the M3 itself, then loading music folders using the USB connection? Although I have never had problems using a card adapter in a laptop either...

When formatting sd card in M3, nothing happens. Files are intact in the card. When connecting the M3 to the laptop with sdcard inside, SD card isn't recognising correctly.

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #1,853 of 2,001
Yeah, might have to return it after a little more trying. Sigh... another long wait 
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,854 of 2,001
Yeah, might have to return it after a little more trying. Sigh... another long wait :frowning2:

Feel for ya, seriously. :frowning2: But when you get a working one you should be very happy with it, I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Fingers crossed you get a top notch one next time...I assume it is fine with the internal memory and you've found out that it sounds pretty good.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,855 of 2,001
After the 'little more trying' I mentioned earlier, I found that my M3 is very picky with cards and follows some strange logic about which card to accept. It didn't worked with the earlier mentioned cards, from which Samsung evo one is Class 10 HC something and the Sandisk one is class 4. But it worked fine with an ancient 2GB classless card and a 4GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 card. Strange, hah? Now, I have to buy a Sandisk Ultra 32GB one and try that before returning. If that card works, then I'm fine and happy.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,856 of 2,001
Interesting.
I've only ever used ² cards - a Kingston 16 C10, and my current aging Adata 32GBC10, both of which worked without a hitch. I always assumed Samsung Evo cards would be no problem, but obviously the Fiio is pickier than I thought.
Hope everything works well now and you can enjoy the M3. :)

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,858 of 2,001
I think it is only a problem with my M3 unit. A bug in my M3's firmware may be. Any way the internal memory is working fine and I began the 200 hour training(Burn-in) of my M3 and ED9.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,859 of 2,001

I had the same problem.  My M3 was working fine for one day.  Then in the middle of playing, it stopped and gave me disc error on any card I inserted.
Initially, internal memory was ok.  But then I got an ear killing screech, and even internal memory would not play.
I returned it to the Amazon seller, and bought a new one.  Everything has been great on the new one.

Here is the link to my original post.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780622/fiio-m3-ultra-portable-8g-64g-2-0-320-240-tft-50mw-flac-ape-aiff-in-line-control-ogg-mp3-aac-wma-24-hours-hifi-earbuds/1755#post_12730431

Not trying to say anything negative.  I just wouldn't expect it to self correct.  I would exchange it.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,860 of 2,001
  I had the same problem.  My M3 was working fine for one day.  Then in the middle of playing, it stopped and gave me disc error on any card I inserted.
Initially, internal memory was ok.  But then I got an ear killing screech, and even internal memory would not play.
I returned it to the Amazon seller, and bought a new one.  Everything has been great on the new one.

Here is the link to my original post.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780622/fiio-m3-ultra-portable-8g-64g-2-0-320-240-tft-50mw-flac-ape-aiff-in-line-control-ogg-mp3-aac-wma-24-hours-hifi-earbuds/1755#post_12730431

Not trying to say anything negative.  I just wouldn't expect it to self correct.  I would exchange it.

Thanks for that post link, Howlin Fester.  I might try the 'Restore factory Settings' method the Fiio rep suggested below that post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back