FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Apr 21, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #1,531 of 2,001
It's actually very similar to Pink noise. the music just refuse to play and that came out instead... some automatically fwrd after few seconds. some don't. It's Veery annoying. I find it to be album specific though, some album can be played, some can then when it ended it refuses to play the next song In the album (pink noise come out again) BUT if I select each song in the album it played just fine...Definitely not the song fault

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,532 of 2,001
The sports armband is available and holds it like glue....I'm not sure a standalone case is necessary as it is so light and small that you could probably drop it without damage (not willing to test this out though)

You're probably right about a standalone case not being necessary, but I like the idea of everyday wear and tear being inflicted onto a case rather than the unit itself. I'm not a fan of armbands, but I might just have to settle for that if nothing better comes along.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #1,536 of 2,001
  Guys, a silly question. How good are the included earbuds? Are they worth keeping?

They're actually surprisingly good.  Really good bass response and enough mid-range and lower treble to make them quite coherent.  One of the better included ear-buds I've heard.  You will need to use foam covers to get the best sound out of them but its worth it.  I use some thicker ones from the VE Zen series.

The microphone is also pretty good for calls as well.

Are they worth hanging onto for high fidelity listening - well no. But worth passing on to someone who doesn't have decent gear - definitely.  I really rate these little buds.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #1,537 of 2,001

They're actually surprisingly good.  Really good bass response and enough mid-range and lower treble to make them quite coherent.  One of the better included ear-buds I've heard.  You will need to use foam covers to get the best sound out of them but its worth it.  I use some thicker ones from the VE Zen series.

Are they worth hanging onto for high fidelity listening - well no. But worth passing on to someone who doesn't have decent gear - definitely.  I really rate these little buds.

I agree for the most part, the only exception is the one time I tried using it for a call, the other end heard nothing whatsoever.  Might have been a fluke, or mine might be faulty in that respect.  I suppose another way I can test is the recorder function on my rockbox Clip+.

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #1,538 of 2,001
I just tried calling my wife - when I was writing the review of the M3 for Headfonia.  Which reminds me, I really should do the same for Head-Fi at some stage ......

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,539 of 2,001

I concur, they are sure not Monks then again they are IMHO better than Apple buds and a great gift to an Apple bud user
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,540 of 2,001
I agree for the most part, the only exception is the one time I tried using it for a call, the other end heard nothing whatsoever.  Might have been a fluke, or mine might be faulty in that respect.  I suppose another way I can test is the recorder function on my rockbox Clip+.

As I recall, the official history FiiO gave on the EM3 buds, which definitely do have a microphone, are that they are the same as the M3-bundled buds, except with different plug, higher resistance, and a microphone, implying that the M3-buds didn't have a microphone.

I tested my M3 buds and indeed no one could hear me either, but my phone thought that they had a microphone (because of the plug's configuration I suppose) so I made sure never to use the M3-bundled buds with my phone and confine them to DAPs like my M3 and X1, where the remote functionality works fine just as on the iPhone.

My guess is that they actually might unofficially have a microphone since FiiO was probably using it as a protoype for the EM3 buds but quality control didn't test them since it would be unused on the M3, so some of us have non-working microphones.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #1,541 of 2,001
I just tried calling my wife - when I was writing the review of the M3 for Headfonia.  Which reminds me, I really should do the same for Head-Fi at some stage ......

Since the M3-bundled buds were evidently prototypes for the eventual EM3 buds that do have a microphone, it's possible you got a later protoype with working microphone, but while remote worked on my phone, microphone didn't work even though there is what appears to a microphone hole and plug made iPhone expect a microphone but it didn't deliver.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #1,542 of 2,001
@trellus Well, I've been thinking about a decent earbud with a mic, perhaps I should just get the EM3.  I will give the M3 earbuds a better listen to see what I think of their sound and go from there.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #1,543 of 2,001

I put my EM3 earbuds in right now just to give them another quick listen and can confirm that at least to my ears, they are a winner, and I bought them precisely because when I saw FiiO announce the EM3, I thought, "those look suspiciously like the buds that came with my M3" -- that I had never even unbound from the plastic in the box because I assumed they were what one would one might expect from buds bundled with a $55 DAP.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded, which is why I then tested them more extensively with my iPhone and discovered the microphone didn't work -- but I hadn't expected it to, and I ordered the EM3 buds from Amazon for $15.

I don't generally do earbuds, but I do have the original Monks, which I also really like (and which were a steal at $5), but I don't find the EM3 buds to be that far off from the Monks to my ears, and the microphone and remote are very useful when using with my phone, and the Monks don't have either.

Incidentally, I have to use Earhoox with the EM3 buds (as well as the Monks) because buds just don't stay in my ears otherwise; don't know if that's an issue for you.  Foams do help some for me but the Earhoox keep them from falling out 100% of the time unlike foams.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #1,544 of 2,001
Hi all, my M3 has the 1.7 fw version and I've some freeze in the music, it's completely random and very annoying... My files are either in FLAC or in MP3 and are corrupted as if I play twice the same song it doesn't freeze -_- 

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,545 of 2,001
Mine do the same thing... And its happening on the same track over and over again... Some I found are album specific.. Is there any fix coming for it @JamesFiio? This is the biggest fault that can push me to sell my M3.. Having my listening session being disturbed abruptly is Veee~ry annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back