FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Apr 28, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #1,561 of 2,001

And with good reason, I actually expect the X7 at $650 to even wallop my $199 X3ii! But to me my M3 sounded almost identical to my friends X1, the X1 of course is $45 more, larger but also with a little better feature set. Well as you are aware this is a very subjective hobby and maybe some do think the X1 sounds way better than the M3 but as someone who has played with both of them for some time I don't hear them that way at all, SQ wise they are so close which really makes the $55 M3 a killer little DAP not to mention the build quality!

Glad yours is working for you Dave
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheers
beerchug.gif

The X1 can play higher res compressed iles than the M3. So if you want to play say 24/96 FLAC, you'll want an X1 or better.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,562 of 2,001

The X1 can play higher res compressed iles than the M3. So if you want to play say 24/96 FLAC, you'll want an X1 or better.

You have me there but there is no guarantee a 24/96 Flac is going to sound any better than a 44/16 (Redbook) if the source from which it's data came was not executed right and then recorded again
wink_face.gif
Not trying to argue and for sure the X1 has more options at the cost of size and the $45
redface.gif
To me valid points both ways user just needs to commit
blink.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Had to put this on again this morning JW and I'm still convinced it's all in the recording, if it's excellent it will sound excellent
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #1,563 of 2,001
Yep. it all on each person's need and gear collections, X1 and M3 both cater to different needs. If they make anything like M5 or something in the future, then we'll know what portofolio they have for the line up. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #1,564 of 2,001
I think the OP was looking at a 2nd hand X3 first gen vs the M3. I might have muddied the waters a little inadvertently....dies anyone have experience of both that could offer advice?
X1 of course is still a valid 3Rd option so may have helped a bit.
I do love my M3 but never heard the X3.

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #1,565 of 2,001

My workaround for playlists is to just create a new folder on my mSD card and copy the songs I want in my playlists to the folders. I have duplicate files all over the place now but as long as I navigate through the external storage directory then theres no issues. 

May 1, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,567 of 2,001
My workaround for playlists is to just create a new folder on my mSD card and copy the songs I want in my playlists to the folders. I have duplicate files all over the place now but as long as I navigate through the external storage directory then theres no issues. 
I use 64gigs class 10 and it already top out over 4300-Osh songs... Doesn't really ahev the space for copying same songs... And I always make my playlist to be huge, hundreds songs can be in one playlist.. Its a basic feature... Fiio should be able to make it. At least, they can add 7 or so more if they can't make it limitless... I mean who think 3 playlist is ever enough?

May 1, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #1,568 of 2,001
I suppose that the playlist handling isn't easy on the X1 either, as not having seen it declared or justified. It can be supported, but tricky as well to make use of. Somebody might comment on this.
I see that m3u got supported only on X3ii and only by firmware update, if I'm right. And in this case I'd rather go for X3ii than X1. 1st gen X3 is another option, but 2nd gen seems much much better, and it's size is almost like an X1.
I thought also for duplicating songs to imitate playlists, and apart from the storage concern, another problem in this is actually multiplication of songs, that can cause headache the M3 when then trying to browse by albums. I might try.
On sidenotes, what do you think about browsing by genre, shouldn't it be supported? It is not. And what about those multiple themes as advertised? I know only two, suggesting Fiio definetely must be working on fw updates also for M3.

So far I managed to write by hand cue sheets which at least show up next to the default lists, but still not working. In my setting, the cued tracks are in separate files, which can be a problem. It is a possible caveout, to pool all music in the same or root dir, with custom cue files. Yes, I lose dir browsing, but I don't care if the lists work, and don't need files' duplications.

This takes time to figure out, but should have been done somehow by Fiio.
Well, cross fingers, I will report on success.
See you!

May 5, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #1,570 of 2,001
Yes I see now, thanks for correction.
However, maybe I just don't know the stuff, I could not make any cue to work, didn't try bin/cue though, only mp3, aac, wav, and flac/cue is not supported currently.
Even when the cue had the same name, and it was in the root of the sd card with the audio, with any content, it wasn't recognised.
I also struggled with the file ordering, because it should not be messed up due to the creation times everytime something new is added to the card, let it be a new folder or file. With no playlists and correct file ordering system this is kind of useless. It is also said for such complaints on official site that they might fine tune it, but the software has limitations, which I mean as it never gonna work suitably for my desires.
It's a pitty, I have to return or sell my precious, as I lost patience.

I am so much dissapointed now, that I think of skipping the brand as well. This is so despite the other outstanding attributes, like sound, power, and physical qualities. In 2016 I expect such software flaws.
Sorry Fiio, you should have finished your product before release to market, or at least half a year later.

May 5, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #1,572 of 2,001
I mean, nobody should not expect such flaws.

haha, I agree that they should've tested and make sure all those "quirks" roperly ironed out before releasing it to the market, I will still be keeping it due to its convenient size, works perfectlya as sport DAP as I won't cry (Too much) if it broke someday... Will be patiently waiting for Fiio's next FW update.

May 5, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,573 of 2,001
Yes I see now, thanks for correction.
However, maybe I just don't know the stuff, I could not make any cue to work, didn't try bin/cue though, only mp3, aac, wav, and flac/cue is not supported currently.
Even when the cue had the same name, and it was in the root of the sd card with the audio, with any content, it wasn't recognised.
I also struggled with the file ordering, because it should not be messed up due to the creation times everytime something new is added to the card, let it be a new folder or file. With no playlists and correct file ordering system this is kind of useless. It is also said for such complaints on official site that they might fine tune it, but the software has limitations, which I mean as it never gonna work suitably for my desires.
It's a pitty, I have to return or sell my precious, as I lost patience.

I am so much dissapointed now, that I think of skipping the brand as well. This is so despite the other outstanding attributes, like sound, power, and physical qualities. In 2016 I expect such software flaws.
Sorry Fiio, you should have finished your product before release to market, or at least half a year later.

Different people have different priorities. The M3 is almost ideal for what I use it for.........outside activities. Its advantages easily outweigh any deficiencies, for me. I congratulate Fiio for a quality player with great sound in a package of such a small size.........at a really reasonable price. I would buy it again..........in a heartbeat.

May 5, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,574 of 2,001
  Different people have different priorities. The M3 is almost ideal for what I use it for.........outside activities. Its advantages easily outweigh any deficiencies, for me. I congratulate Fiio for a quality player with great sound in a package of such a small size.........at a really reasonable price. I would buy it again..........in a heartbeat.

Agreed rtar, for the price limited file types is not that big an issue for me as well and if you have file problems just wipe it clean and make all your songs in the file type it likes because as said the SQ, build quality and size are for sure worth the price of admission IMHO
biggrin.gif
I think we sometimes become jaded and think every player should just accept every file type and play without problems but then again you are not paying $350-$500 or even $239
wink_face.gif
Heck I find this $139 rig to be exceptional
tongue_smile.gif

May 5, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #1,575 of 2,001

Agreed rtar, for the price limited file types is not that big an issue for me as well and if you have file problems just wipe it clean and make all your songs in the file type it likes because as said the SQ, build quality and size are for sure worth the price of admission IMHO
biggrin.gif
I think we sometimes become jaded and think every player should just accept every file type and play without problems but then again you are not paying $350-$500 or even $239
wink_face.gif
Heck I find this $139 rig to be exceptional
tongue_smile.gif

The songs I mentioned are all Mp3 files, 320kbps... nothing seems to be different from any other music It manages to play normally...
And the "Format Error" quirks been long happening to mp3 files as well, check earlier thread pages.

The symptom is like this: The screen blinks in and out (with white screen in between) for a few seconds (pink noise plays... damn....), then skip to the next songs, this happens quite frequently when I choose "Shuffle All", which tells me not only a few songs are rendered unplayable, it's numerous..
I do will try to use the player with different micro SD card, though I find it still happens even if I move the file into Fiio internal memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back