FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Dec 4, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #797 of 2,001
found the manual here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0f8c3f6er5hjpe/M3%20Quick%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

what a pitty it doesnt record the audio! also 64 GB look too low for an almost 2016 device.

Still there is no english review any where!? I doubt this device can be better than sansa "legend" clip plus

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #798 of 2,001
  found the manual here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0f8c3f6er5hjpe/M3%20Quick%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

what a pitty it doesnt record the audio! also 64 GB look too low for an almost 2016 device.

Still there is no english review any where!? I doubt this device can be better than sansa "legend" clip plus

Perhaps you missed Brooko's post stating he used a 128 gig card without issue a few pages back.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #800 of 2,001
  that is nice. sorry I didnt read all the pages. what is the min number of files it can read?

i can't answer that because mine hasn't arrived yet.  it did ship today
biggrin.gif
.   @Brooko can chime in with that info.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #801 of 2,001
  @Brooko would you say that from sound alone the X1 is worth the additional cost over the M3? I got the X1 really cheap so the cost difference that normally would apply doesn't matter for me (actually the M3 will be more expensive but I digress). I would probably be using my SE846 or DN-2000J if that makes a difference. I was hoping that the M3 would be released before my vacation next week since it has a good battery but that doesn't look like it is happening. I bought an iphone recently and will have to use that along with a battery pack while on the plane.

I should really get around to using the X1. I've had it for 2 weeks or so and barely touched it. Once my new phones comes I can use the micro sd card in my current phone and switch it into the X1 to see what the dap is capable of..

Strictly based on features and sound quality the X1 seems an obvious choice over the M3.  But in terms of portability and much better battery life the M3 has the edge and I am sure that will be it's biggest appeal.  I can see taking an M3 to go jogging or to the gym or great to have if you travel a lot for work.  I would be less concerned about losing or damaging the M3 vs the X1

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #802 of 2,001
Side-by-side and volume matched - I'd peg the M3 as sounding slightly warmer, and I think that is it's charm in a lot of ways.  It has a quite nice organic sound. The X1 in comparison is just a little more spacious and possibly more resolving - but we are talking very small differences when volume matched.

Both sound really excellent with good IEMs and well recorded music.

The X1 has the more mature UI for now, has a line-out, and has roughly double the power output.  It also supports gapless (the M3 doesn't), and plays more formats.

Yet in the last two weeks, it is the M3 I've grabbed when out and about - and isn't just new toy syndrome. The beauty of the M3 is its size and the SQ it has despite that.  I've often just headed out the door with my U6 and M3, and it is quite liberating how tiny the combined package is.  The M3 does have a shortage of features in comparison - but for those times when you need to be truly portable - it really is a wonderful little package.

And truth be told - as good as the X1 is, for the same footprint you really are better (IMO) spending a little more and grabbing the X3ii which I still think is the best value for money DAP on the market today.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #803 of 2,001
  Side-by-side and volume matched - I'd peg the M3 as sounding slightly warmer, and I think that is it's charm in a lot of ways.  It has a quite nice organic sound. The X1 in comparison is just a little more spacious and possibly more resolving - but we are talking very small differences when volume matched.

Both sound really excellent with good IEMs and well recorded music.

The X1 has the more mature UI for now, has a line-out, and has roughly double the power output.  It also supports gapless (the M3 doesn't), and plays more formats.

Yet in the last two weeks, it is the M3 I've grabbed when out and about - and isn't just new toy syndrome. The beauty of the M3 is its size and the SQ it has despite that.  I've often just headed out the door with my U6 and M3, and it is quite liberating how tiny the combined package is.  The M3 does have a shortage of features in comparison - but for those times when you need to be truly portable - it really is a wonderful little package.

And truth be told - as good as the X1 is, for the same footprint you really are better (IMO) spending a little more and grabbing the X3ii which I still think is the best value for money DAP on the market today.

This. I am sick of the DAP market flooded with DAPs that weigh more than our smartphones. Imo the smartphone (100-150g) should be the largest item in our pocket! That is the appeal of a Clip, it hardly exactly impacts your pocket space! Even the new Plenue D is 90g, still more than I'd like.
If the M3 gets more features added to its firmware to really compete with the clip then I am sure fence sitters like me will take the plunge.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #804 of 2,001
Sidebyside, soundwise...m3 w its earbuds killed my clip+
...tat big organic sound, drew me in almost immediately.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #806 of 2,001
I can't wait to compare the M3 against my Clip+ and Fuze. I agree with Brooko as far as the X3II is concerned. Definitely the most bang for your money, but the X1 is no slouch either. I wouldn't have even bought the X3II if the X1 had OTG, but I'm glad I did because of the added features. The more I have gotten into this, the more I'm starting to find what I like and dislike easier. I'm eyeing that new K1 for use at home as a starter kit for my desktop setup until I find something more permanent. It's fun, yet becoming an expensive hobby...lol

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #808 of 2,001
Just played a few tracks through my M3 and I've got to say it's beating my expectations. There's a slight background hiss but that's soon forgotten when the music kicks in. Tried the latest Roll The Tanks and Kids United and it handles the power pop of the former with gusto and the pop harmonies of the latter with enough style for me to put my Clip+ back in the box.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #810 of 2,001
Sweet, tiny:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back