FiiO M23, AK4191EQ+AK4499EX, THX AAA-78+, Dual Type-C Ports, Dual-Core Fast Charging, 1000mW+1000mW @32Ω
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #61 of 201
If not m15s but compared to m11s or m11plus - should be better. Perhaps will be good sounding dap and is cheaper than ibasso dx260. But how it will be compared to such as k9akm or k9pro - because sound for me is what's most important. Either are not cheap - so wanted to put money where i get the most of them. So fiio desktop gear perhaps still be better form sound point.
why would you compare a portable dap to a chunky desktop dac/amp? i mean it might be interesting to know how far off these are, but a buying decision would hardly be between two totally different kinds of hardware. If someone wont need portability all in one, he might rather compare several dekstop solutions, i would think. i dont think the dap has many chances to win the battle. Even if it comes close in sound quality, which i doubt tbh, you still have to consider things like power, flexibility, convience and what not.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #62 of 201
If not m15s but compared to m11s or m11plus - should be better. Perhaps will be good sounding dap and is cheaper than ibasso dx260. But how it will be compared to such as k9akm or k9pro - because sound for me is what's most important. Either are not cheap - so wanted to put money where i get the most of them. So fiio desktop gear perhaps still be better form sound point.

why would you compare a portable dap to a chunky desktop dac/amp? i mean it might be interesting to know how far off these are, but a buying decision would hardly be between two totally different kinds of hardware. If someone wont need portability all in one, he might rather compare several dekstop solutions, i would think. i dont think the dap has many chances to win the battle. Even if it comes close in sound quality, which i doubt tbh, you still have things like power, flexibility, convience and what not to consider.
I've heard the K9 Pro AKM and I think the M15s is better. More detailed and better dynamics. The M15s beats the DX260 imo.

I definitely think the M23 will beat the M11s, but I'm not sure how it will compare with the M15s. The gap between the M15s and M11s is very large.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #63 of 201
why would you compare a portable dap to a chunky desktop dac/amp? i mean it might be interesting to know how far off these are, but a buying decision would hardly be between two totally different kinds of hardware. If someone wont need portability all in one, he might rather compare several dekstop solutions, i would think.
I understand that point and you are right, that these are different devices ment for different scenarios but for me was and is very interesting if current generation of daps could compete to desktop device at similar price . Except power output. And what i get for my money if buying dap and desktop device. Because such dap as m23 you can use as desktop also with separate mode that makes them somehow more universal and usable with pc. But is is rare for someone to directly compare daps to desktop so for me it is even more interesting

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #64 of 201
I've heard the K9 Pro AKM and I think the M15s is better. More detailed and better dynamics. The M15s beats the DX260 imo.

I definitely think the M23 will beat the M11s, but I'm not sure how it will compare with the M15s. The gap between the M15s and M11s is very large.
I believe that k9 pro akm could have been not so good, but k9 pro ess improved on dynamics and details so perhaps they could compete with m15s. But from this i think newest k9akm have no chance against such daps as m15s.
I really interested to m23 and how it will compete to ibasso offerings or against mentioned m15s. It should be really better than m11 series for sure. And price seems just right.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #65 of 201

I understand that point and you are right, that these are different devices ment for different scenarios but for me was and is very interesting if current generation of daps could compete to desktop device at similar price . Except power output. And what i get for my money if buying dap and desktop device. Because such dap as m23 you can use as desktop also with separate mode that makes them somehow more universal and usable with pc. But is is rare for someone to directly compare daps to desktop so for me it is even more interesting
the m15s beeing better than the K9 AKM is interesting to say the least. My main recommendations for any audio gear are soundstage depth and layering, thats why I skipped everything with THX amps some time ago anyways. Just watched some reviews of my favorite reviewers of the K9 which once again confirmed my antipathy against those amps.

Finally i get your points from those perspectives and much appreciate your clarifications!

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #66 of 201

the m15s beeing better than the K9 AKM is interesting to say the least. My main recommendations for any audio gear are soundstage depth and layering, thats why I skipped everything with THX amps some time ago anyways. Just watched some reviews of my favorite reviewers of the K9 which once again confirmed my antipathy against those amps.

Finally i get your points from those perspectives and much appreciate your clarifications!
I compared them because I let a friend try the M15s for a bit and he was amazed. But at the same time wondered if there was something cheaper on desktop considering he won't need a portable device.

The reason i even got the M15s in the first place was because I was wowed by the M17 but it was way too big. But at the time the M15 was not quite good enough for the price.

Then the M15s came, dropped the price and sounded much closer to the M17. Only really being beaten when you use desktop mode on the M17.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #67 of 201
I compared them because I let a friend try the M15s for a bit and he was amazed. But at the same time wondered if there was something cheaper on desktop considering he won't need a portable device.

The reason i even got the M15s in the first place was because I was wowed by the M17 but it was way too big. But at the time the M15 was not quite good enough for the price.

Then the M15s came, dropped the price and sounded much closer to the M17. Only really being beaten when you use desktop mode on the M17.
Have your friend found something cheaper for desktop and good sounding? I am looking what to get, i have ibasso dx240 so basically don't need another dap but always liked fiio products even if for some listeners their thx amps wasn't good enough. For me not looking for super wide soundstage they are good sounding. I haven't heard m17 but imagine it is at the same level as k9pro ess which i like a lot, but this m23 also looks nice for the price.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #68 of 201
Have your friend found something cheaper for desktop and good sounding? I am looking what to get, i have ibasso dx240 so basically don't need another dap but always liked fiio products even if for some listeners their thx amps wasn't good enough. For me not looking for super wide soundstage they are good sounding. I haven't heard m17 but imagine it is at the same level as k9pro ess which i like a lot, but this m23 also looks nice for the price.
Not yet. But the K9 Pro Ess is definitely on the radar

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #70 of 201
Because it's a lower tier product in FiiO's lineup?

Hardware wise compared to the M15s : no dedicated Bluetooth chipset, less output power, separate type c for Desktop mode rather than an internal switch, 2 vs 8 channel dac (up to you whether that matters), no curved screen? (I prefer flat anyways).

And no DK3S cooling dock included. Maybe it won't come with a leather case as well.

I'd guess FiiO probably priced it to compete with the Hiby R6 Pro II as well.

Price isn't an indicator of quality though. Things get better and cheaper over time. Like the M15s improving over the M15, trickling down expertise from the M17.

I wouldn't be surprised if the M23 sounds better than the M15s :D.

How much cost is saved on accessories is also a contributing factor.
Okay, appreciate it. I've been curious about the M15s, as I've always owned daps (primarily Shanling) with AKM chips and Shanling house tuning. From what I've read, the M15s doesn't sound a lot like typical ESS flavored units, with a potentially bright, harsh, and reference tuning. Then I saw this with the 4499ex chipset, often going into much more expensive units. Like I said, I hadn't looked at anything else.

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #72 of 201
Ok, definitely worth at its price. I like it the most from what i heard from fiio. But if money was not important r9 is best sounding for sure, better than any their device but price also not the smallest.
at its price i would go with either the Aune s9c or the xduoo XD05 pro. i suggest watching the reviews of soundnews and
iiWi Reviews on youtube. those and many others come to a very clear conclusion. specially if you like your soundstage a thx powered amp isnt the best choice.

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #73 of 201
at its price i would go with either the Aune s9c or the xduoo XD05 pro. i suggest watching the reviews of soundnews and
iiWi Reviews on youtube. those and many others come to a very clear conclusion. specially if you like your soundstage a thx powered amp isnt the best choice.
Ofcourse at its price i would listen alternatives, only from fiio line up r9 perhaps seems like best sounding at the moment, but as you said (i listened some of these reviewers) thx not for everyone especially looking for soundstage. Still think thx in current products not so bad, Fiio decision to still use thx also shows this. But for products 1000+ i really would like to get not only perfect technically device but also with good expansive soundstage expanding really wide and deep . And thx is somehow more flat compared to serious alternatives. But someone at Fiio really likes thx with snapdragon 660 - and it is in practically all products - and this works somehow as it made me think that fiio without thx would be not fiio :) It's part of their modern identity.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #74 of 201

Users who are viewing this thread

Back