[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Feb 14, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #5,072 of 5,692
I bought it second hand, I'm not the original owner.
Rip, gonna have to send it back to fiio on your money. Also tried looking for aliexpress batteries but to no avail. our friend @viffer said there are sites where you can find the battery maybe he knows how to help you instead of shipping it to fiio. I have also my reserves about sending an exposed battery by mail, they might not be happy to handle defective batteries. Is the battery exposed? Might try and operate it without battery on pure dc?

Feb 14, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #5,074 of 5,692
Ask @FiiO to send you a replacement battery and get your local electronics engineer rapair center to install it. (The repair center may even be able to source one themselves)
A bit of advice, using the M17 under battery mode, while charging at the same time, puts the battery under a lot of stress and generates an awful lot of heat, it is a sure way to end up with a swollen battery.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #5,075 of 5,692
FYI - In my particular situation the swelling of the battery appears to have damaged the case. So even if I could have found a replacement battery myself it would have been unlikely something I could fix on my own.

Feb 14, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #5,076 of 5,692
Thank you all so much for your prompt replies.
I guess we all know what it's like when our favourite device is out of commission, not fun.
I will consider all the recommendations, including using AC Power instead of battery when in use.
I have sent an email to Fiio support asking a range of pertinent questions, can I purchase a replacement, is there a third party battery available.
I will also go looking in the meantime for a replacement.
It looks like a three wire battery type, specs are 3.8v, 9200MaH, made by 'SUNDA' model is 8766100.
Connects with what looks to be a three pin Board-To-Board compression connector.
I think phone repair guys call these 'pop' connectors.
I will share Fiios reply and whatever I learn here with everyone.

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #5,077 of 5,692
I guess we all know what it's like when our favourite device is out of commission, not fun.
I will consider all the recommendations, including using AC Power instead of battery when in use.
I have sent an email to Fiio support asking a range of pertinent questions, can I purchase a replacement, is there a third party battery available.
It looks like a three wire battery type, specs are 3.8v, 9200MaH, made by 'SUNDA' model is 8766100.
Connects with what looks to be a three pin Board-To-Board compression connector.
If everything else fails, see if THESE guys can help. They have This one ready to go and it looks very similar so, it may be just what you are looking for. if not, maybe they can source the one you need, or make it for you. .

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #5,078 of 5,692
If everything else fails, see if THESE guys can help. They have This one ready to go and it looks very similar so, it may be just what you are looking for. if not, i am sure they can source the one you need, or make it for you. .
@MusicalDoc8 you see, it can be easily done!
Next time, instead of questioning people’s integrity, do your own research!
didn't find them at all so it's a saver to finally see the site! Bookmarked!

Feb 16, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #5,079 of 5,692
By the way, IF the battery is swollen, it will never clear customs to be allowed on an airplane. So if you are "lucky" and you can access the battery, you probably will be instructed to remove it and dispose of it. No courier will ever accept a risky battery on a plane, hell they even forbid recalled batteries with no damage!
Ask FiiO for instructions, but from my unlucky direct experience, faulty battery shipping is a BIG no-no.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #5,080 of 5,692
For what is worth.
Using the M17 under battery power and charging it at the same time, will potentially cause the battery to swell. in the majority of cases, that could be the culprit.
I am sure than like any-other product, there will be a few faulty units. If that is the case, and while still in warranty, the first port of call is always the shop it was bought from. If the unit presents a fire hazard and can’t be posted, they should arrange a pickup or a replacement unit. The end user purchase contract is with the shop, and not FiiO.
Alas, @flowerlandfilms bought the unit second hand and likely out of warranty. in that scenario, there’s no obligation from the shop nor FiiO, and any help they may offer, will be at their discretion.
I hope you get the issue resolved.

Feb 17, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #5,082 of 5,692
For someone who only needs a couple of hours over ear enhancement mode at a time, this seems like a good candidate, instead. I really like the voltage selectability too; not to play around, w/the M17, just for flexibility for other uses.

https://www.powerstream.com/PST-MP3500-I.htm
Oooh, that Power Stream one looks interesting!

Thought I'd mention to thread participants interested... I have the Powerstream PST-MP3500-I as well as the PST-MP3460 2nd battery option on its way to me. What I love about this device is it has dip switches to set the voltage in 0.5v increments, and is touted to not suffer voltage droop. So I will be confident it will always deliver 12v to the M17.

I want/need it for when I attend CanJam NYC, so I can use my M17 to audition any hp offering no matter how power hungry with my own music selection. That dual battery combo should give at near 4 hrs of Super Enhanced Over-ear mode operation if the M17 is drawing its max of 36w. As I assume it won't draw that much all the time it should last longer.

But, I suspect like all LI batteries it will take a few battery drain/charge cycles to form up and reach maximum capacity. I'll let ya all know how this evolves after a few weeks or months.

Feb 17, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #5,083 of 5,692
For what it's worth, I picked up a Shargeek Storm 2 and the DC out works great with the M17 (and all my other stuff that needs charging):

SPBATT.jpg

Feb 17, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #5,084 of 5,692
For what it's worth, I picked up a Shargeek Storm 2 and the DC out works great with the M17 (and all my other stuff that needs charging):

SPBATT.jpgNeat! Do you have a link for the DC cable for it?

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #5,085 of 5,692

Users who are viewing this thread

Back