[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 28, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #4,846 of 5,692
If this is a semi-regular occurrence or even a rare occurrence with the M17 then @FiiO has a obligation to recall these devices and remedy the issue, at Fiio’s cost, according to the consumer protection policies in the United States. This has now become a health and safety concern. I have filed a notice with the CPSC regarding this concern and directed the agency to this thread. The swelling of a consumer battery in a transportable device is of the highest level of concern because under a ‘swelled,’ state the battery can leak and / or explode. Additionally if this battery explodes while on a plane that explosion can lead to a catastrophic event. @FiiO please address this group immediately to what is going on here with the remedy. If you recall Samsung, had a similar issue with their phones and it was a disaster. Should we stop traveling with our devices? @FiiO don’t ignore this concern or take this issue lightly because the issue could lead to someone getting hurt. @JamesFiiO @FiiO

Please consider this and my private PM as formal notice for request for remedy to a health and safety concern.
This has become a huge headache for me as I live in Asia and am now in the US visiting family when the battery apparently bloated to such a degree the back of the case popped off.

After reading your post and a few others along similar lines, I'm not going to take this device in its current condition with me back home on return flights. I don't have the original packaging with me and no clear idea at the moment what I should do with it besides leaving it alone entirely.

@FiiO How do you recommend I handle this situation?

Dec 28, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #4,847 of 5,692
@FiiO is responsible for letting all owners of the Fiio M17 know that this issue has occurred with production models sold to end-users. I applaud them for fixing individual owner's issues but the lack of transparency related to the root cause of this issue is concerning. Is this a random issue, is this an issue that occurs under certain circumstances, is there a way to determine if certain units are impacted or not??? With that being said it is illegal for Fiio to ship this product until this product issue is resolved. While it is great that they provided a "fire proof," bag but with @FiiO going to that length to provide such a bag that it draws the conclusion that Fiio too believed there could be a fire hazard but they still put the transportation (most likely air) company in potential harms way. And I am not sure a fireproof bag can prevent an explosion.

@Mark566 please don't take my comments as any condemnation of your efforts or observations but more of a commentary that @FiiO needs to step up quickly and resolve this issue in the safest way possible for all involved.

Lastly I would like to know how many world-wide incidents of the the battery swelling have been reported. @FiiO can you please let us know how many "known" issues have been reported to you since the M17 and M17 limited edition have been in production.

Dec 28, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #4,848 of 5,692
So, it is a big yes to the replaceable battery version of M17 @JamesFiiO suggested earlier.
To be honest I didn't really see the point of moving to user replaceable batteries with reduced capacity over stock until now. It seems though there should be another solution for preventing the batteries from swelling than just replacing them manually after the fact.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #4,849 of 5,692
To be honest I didn't really see the point of moving to user replaceable batteries with reduced capacity over stock until now. It seems though there should be another solution for preventing the batteries from swelling than just replacing them manually after the fact.
I agree, replacing the battery after the fact may only solve the problem for the short-term but what is to stop the issue from happening again unless the batteries that have swelled are now known retrospectively as being defective and @FiiO are replacing with known batteries to be defect free.

And to provide additional input related to you traveling with your m17. I would recommend you do not. If you bring that unit onto a plane you would be putting yourself in a liable situation since the battery is known to be defective should any issues occur. You can't legally ship that unit from the United States now no matter how the unit is shipped as shipping a potential explosive device is also illegal.

I am not trying to add stress to your already stressful situation. I am merely trying to be informative. @FiiO needs to remedy this for you the best way they can that is safe for you and does not put you in legal jeopardy. Not trying to be melodramatic either but this is a big deal.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #4,850 of 5,692
And to provide additional input related to you traveling with your m17. I would recommend you do not. If you bring that unit onto a plane you would be putting yourself in a liable situation since the battery is known to be defective should any issues occur. You can't legally ship that unit from the United States now no matter how the unit is shipped as shipping a potential explosive device is also illegal.

I am not trying to add stress to your already stressful situation. I am merely trying to be informative. @FiiO needs to remedy this for you the best way they can that is safe for you and does not put you in legal jeopardy. Not trying to be melodramatic either but this is a big deal.
Completely agree - I'm not going to travel with it so will either need to send it somewhere in Fiio approved packaging material before my flight on Friday or alternatively try to get my family here in the US to handle it on my behalf later on, which I strongly prefer not to have to hassle them with that inconvenience.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #4,851 of 5,692
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #4,852 of 5,692
https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/What_to_do_with_a_swollen_battery
https://www.androidauthority.com/phone-battery-swollen-3217631/

Both links are good resources into what is going on with the internal battery of your M17. Common in both articles is the severe nature of this "state." Just my friendly advice do not ship this anywhere even if Fiio tells you to in approved shipping material. That is just not safe or if you can figure out, safely, how to remove the battery from the device and safely dispose of the battery prior to shipping. I am sure the later is not acceptable to Fiio as they would want to inspect the battery for issues but you are in a literal catch 22. How do you get the unit with battery to Fiio without creating a health and safety issue that was already created by @FiiO

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #4,853 of 5,692
I agree, replacing the battery after the fact may only solve the problem for the short-term but what is to stop the issue from happening again unless the batteries that have swelled are now known retrospectively as being defective and @FiiO are replacing with known batteries to be defect free.

You might check these units from time to time. The first one I had, died within less than 2 months, and only after removing it from the case, I noticed that the back cover was coming off, starting from the bottom left corner, indicating battery swelling, albeit much less pronounced than on the pictures above. I kept the unit on 80% max charge, used the factory charger, and it never left my desk, so most likely a manufacturing defect. FiiO was very helpful. The replacement has worked with no issues for months now.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #4,854 of 5,692
Battery going awol is the single most concerning issue with any portable device. The headache of having it shipped to manifacture vs them shipping you just a little battery and use a screwdriver on the port is leagues better. Let's hope they listen and understand.

Dec 28, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #4,857 of 5,692
I think that the problem of bloating back cover is because of low quality and cheap batteries being used inside M17...somehow I have a feeling that FiiO have chosen the cheapest option of batteries inside of M17, just for saving final cost as much as possible... That is my opinion... May be wrong...

Dec 28, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #4,858 of 5,692
I think that the problem of bloating back cover is because of low quality and cheap batteries being used inside M17...somehow I have a feeling that FiiO have chosen the cheapest option of batteries inside of M17, just for saving final cost as much as possible... That is my opinion... May be wrong...
dying battery happens.
If i were in FiiO, i'd make sure to use replaceable batteries.

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #4,859 of 5,692
New firmware supports LHDC!
Finally, We can connect the flagships M17 and UTWS5 with true wireless Hi-Res capabilities.
It took a wee while but, none the less, Well done @FiiO
Now we need a proper colour to indicate LHDC is in use. At the moment the sides and volume knob uses blue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back