[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 21, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,616 of 5,692
@FiiO ... question.. My preferred retailer in NYC is out of stock and they can't provide me with insight as to when they will recieve more M17s. Are they (the M17) readily available (in the USA), and it should just be a factor of when that retailer will choose to replenish stock, or is there a temporary unavailability of the M17 (in the USA)?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #3,617 of 5,692
Very good advice. DC power supply is completely different than DC charger.

DC Power Supply - the power supply decides voltage and max amperage it will supply. The DC power input of the device has no control of voltage and only controls max amperage it consumes. You will void your warranty if you don't use a DC power supply that is exactly as Fiio has specified - 12V with a minimum of 3A.

DC Charger - the charger has a range of voltages it can supply and also a maximum amperage it can provide. The DC USB input decides what voltage it wants and how much amperage it wants to consume. There is very low risk of using any 3rd party charger (in fact M17 doesn't even come with a charger) because the device itself regulates how much power it will take.
In EHPM with a load of 300Ω and volume set at 70/120, The M17 is drawing an average of 7.7W with the Omicron DC barrel output set at 12v 3A.( M17 screen and charging mode are off )
Bank battery at 90%, time remaining is about 8-9H (Top left corner indicates estimated time remaining)
So at a very reasonable volume, this power bank will keep the M17 in EHPM for roughly 9 hours…give or take.

Not bad at all. :)

A066BA29-D3D5-4123-8E6F-04BE5D248734.jpeg

*EDIT.
2H and 45 minutes latter…
M17 has been streaming via Qobuz with the same settings as above.

9CBFFC27-7CF6-4CC0-B90B-3A3F435A6CE5.jpeg

Something tells me it’s not going to go the estimated 9h distance. Maybe 7ish hours is more realistic. But, I am streaming and using a high 300Ω Headphones load. I’ve taken this unit out in the field and using SD card only, it made the 9h mark on a full charge. (FiiO FH9’s IEM’s)
I bought this a few weeks ago but, this is the first time I let it run inside the house with wifi streaming.
All in, not too bad.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #3,618 of 5,692
Very interesting experience! I'm driving Focal Clear MG. I use to play HiRes songs streamed on Qobuz (it means flac streaming). I don't use all-to-dsd. If i play some music for about 30 minutes, the M17 begins to get midly warm. After one hour, I can't keep it on my hand because I feel that it is really to hot.
Do you think I have an issur with my M17? Maybe some other users advices?
Perfectly normal. The M17 does get pretty toasty hence, the included cooling stand :wink:
It has an over heat cut off circuit protector so, don’t worry about it, just keep it off your hands because at a temperature of 36ºC, the are not very good at dissipating heat, place the M17 on a table or, if on the go, inside a loose jacket pocket or belt holster. But yeah, depending on volume, Ω Load, wifi, EHPM… it can run a little hot.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #3,619 of 5,692
Very interesting experience! I'm driving Focal Clear MG. I use to play HiRes songs streamed on Qobuz (it means flac streaming). I don't use all-to-dsd. If i play some music for about 30 minutes, the M17 begins to get midly warm. After one hour, I can't keep it on my hand because I feel that it is really to hot.
Do you think I have an issur with my M17? Maybe some other users advices?
Well, I’m sure the Focal is easier to drive than the HE-6, so I don’t think that is involved in your issue. I’m astonished to hear that after an hour the 17 is hot to the point of you not really being comfortable holding it.
The main thing of interest here is that I never use streaming services; never have never will. So I think that must be part of the heating of your unit. I use my iPad Pro every day, and I know now that when using Wi-Fi the battery drains faster. So perhaps part of your problem is you streaming your music and your 17 constantly receiving streamed music.
I also never use my 17 for any internet usage.

All I can think right now is that perhaps you could try loading some music onto either the internal or sd storage, and cut out the streaming for a while, and see what your experience is then.

Also, as you said, maybe some other M17 users who use streaming services can chime in and give you their thoughts/advice.
If streaming isn’t the ‘issue’, and if others use theirs in the same way you do without issues, then perhaps you could send an email to FiiO tech support and get their help. In my experience they are immensely helpful and will do whatever it takes to solve your issue.
Best of luck, and do come back and keep us appraised of how things proceed.
Be well.

edit: I’ve just seen the post above from viffer saying the 17 gets toasty so it’s normal. All I can think is that the norm these days for almost all folks is using streaming services, and when doing that the 16 will become warm/hot sometimes. That must be the reason because as I said I’m using one of the most inefficient cans out there, and also use all-to-dsd half the time.
So it might just depend whether you are content to live with your 17 getting ‘toastly’ or not. Even with ISO’s and dsd’s, I can get so much music onto my 512Gb cards that I have no need for streaming.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #3,620 of 5,692
Well, I’m sure the Focal is easier to drive than the HE-6, so I don’t think that is involved in your issue. I’m astonished to hear that after an hour the 17 is hot to the point of you not really being comfortable holding it.
The main thing of interest here is that I never use streaming services; never have never will. So I think that must be part of the heating of your unit. I use my iPad Pro every day, and I know now that when using Wi-Fi the battery drains faster. So perhaps part of your problem is you streaming your music and your 17 constantly receiving streamed music.
I also never use my 17 for any internet usage.

All I can think right now is that perhaps you could try loading some music onto either the internal or sd storage, and cut out the streaming for a while, and see what your experience is then.

Also, as you said, maybe some other M17 users who use streaming services can chime in and give you their thoughts/advice.
If streaming isn’t the ‘issue’, and if others use theirs in the same way you do without issues, then perhaps you could send an email to FiiO tech support and get their help. In my experience they are immensely helpful and will do whatever it takes to solve your issue.
Best of luck, and do come back and keep us appraised of how things proceed.
Be well.

edit: I’ve just seen the post above from viffer saying the 17 gets toasty so it’s normal. All I can think is that the norm these days for almost all folks is using streaming services, and when doing that the 16 will become warm/hot sometimes. That must be the reason because as I said I’m using one of the most inefficient cans out there, and also use all-to-dsd half the time.
So it might just depend whether you are content to live with your 17 getting ‘toastly’ or not. Even with ISO’s and dsd’s, I can get so much music onto my 512Gb cards that I have no need for streaming.
We all have different heat sensitivity on our hands. My wife can handle the morning bread toasts right out of the toaster (asbestos hands that she has) but Me?… I’ll get blisters! :D
I have tried my M17 with Qobuz streaming, and downloaded off line music, I have also tried directly form the SD card. In EHPM and on battery mode. With my Sennheiser HD820’s (300Ω) and at 70-80/120 volume, it gets toasty regardless, it may take a little more time to get there without streaming but, once it gets to working temperature it makes no difference.
* When i say toasty, I don’t mean untouchable, but just hot, maybe 38-40ºC or thereabouts.

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #3,621 of 5,692
Are there any leather cases for the m17 other than the one that comes with it?

My m17 should be here tomorrow and I'd like to purchase an additional case for it. Preferably something from Dignis but I doubt they made anything for the m17

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #3,622 of 5,692
Has anyone had this issue… I turned off my computer with the M17 connected. All of a sudden it kept cycling through the Fiio start screen and the white batter indicator. It kept doing it over asked over again until I turned it on. Any ideas?

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #3,624 of 5,692
Has anyone had this issue… I turned off my computer with the M17 connected. All of a sudden it kept cycling through the Fiio start screen and the white batter indicator. It kept doing it over asked over again until I turned it on. Any ideas?
Your computer's USB is not 100% powered off but is not able to provide enough current to charge the M17. If a dedicated charger to the M17 has no problems then this is confirmed.

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #3,625 of 5,692
Your computer's USB is not 100% powered off but is not able to provide enough current to charge the M17. If a dedicated charger to the M17 has no problems then this is confirmed.
Thanks! I should have added that it was hooked up to DC power and charging turned off.

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #3,626 of 5,692
@MusicalDoc8 - I take my 17 out with me every day and it has never got even remotely warm. I use similar dsd files to you, and if not dsd I run in all-to-dsd mode, and it has never warmed up even a tiny bit. I exclusively use over ear cans, some of which need a bit of juice with no problem.

@Bramard - I’m curious to know your set-up as at home I’m on dc power, and even driving my HE-6 it never gets more than very mildly warm. And out I’m on all-to-dsd with my flac files, and again it never gets warm. At home I’ve not once needed to use the fan and I’ve got a lot of cans, some of which have me moving the volume up to around 100. I’m genuinely curious to hear why some folks would need to use the fan, as my HE-6 doesn’t result in the 17 warming up.
My m17 gets hot after not even an hour of use. So hot it makes me worried about it's long term health. That's my only issue with the unit. It's perfect otherwise

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #3,629 of 5,692
What gain level are you running it at? Which output and what format of music?
Over ear mode, mostly Flac files
4.4 mm with iems
About 40 volume

I just had a 4.5 hour drive yesterday. Listened to my dx300max the whole time. High gain, emhanced mode on. It only got a little warm.

My 17 gets hot in about 20 minutes.

And 1 hour in I start to think something important may melt

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #3,630 of 5,692
Over ear mode, mostly Flac files
4.4 mm with iems
About 40 volume

I just had a 4.5 hour drive yesterday. Listened to my dx300max the whole time. High gain, emhanced mode on. It only got a little warm.

My 17 gets hot in about 20 minutes.

And 1 hour in I start to think something important may melt
Does this only happen with OEM enabled or does this happen on low gain as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back