[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #3,601 of 5,692
We are so sorry we didn’t make a clear explanation before.During the R&D process, we had considered both the 4G+64G and 6G+128G solutions for the M17. However, we gave up the 6G+128G solution in the end due to the supply chain issue and consideration of devoting more to sound quality. When developing the M17, we ordered a small amount of 6G+128G materials. Eventually, on our 15th anniversary, we would like to sell 20 pieces of M17s of 6G+128G which has been produced well as a special model. They will be available at our AliExpress official store for 1899.99 USD on April 26, 2022. If you are interested, don’t miss the chance.

Here share a story of M17 that we have been released before!

Chapter 5 Why is the RAM and FLASH of M17 only 4G+64G?

In fact, when the M17 was in the internal beta process, our users raised this question. In fact, it was uncontrollable. Here I would like to explain it in detail.

At present, there are very few processors appropriate for android-based music players. FiiO has already adopted processors from Samsung, Rockchip, Qualcomm, etc. Rockchip's has weak performance, Samsung's has poor compatibility while Qualcomm's is currently the most appropriate. Therefore, four Chinese brands all applied the Qualcomm processor to their music players.

Due to the small order in the player industry, we had to order standard modules which have fewer optional configurations, including RAM+FLASH of 4+64 and 6+128. However, there are several problems with the module.

--Long lead time: the current lead time is 6 months.

--Minimum order quantity (MOQ) restriction: the current MOQ is 3000 RMB.

--High cost: each processor module is very expensive.

--The configuration of 6+128 is much more expensive than the 4+64, which means the retail price will be correspondingly increased.

Therefore, if we adopted the 6+128 module to the M17, there would be some problems.

--For consumers, it is worth buying a high-capacity micro SD card than paying more money for higher RAM and FLASH storage.

--We have to invest several million for the order of the module, which would be stressful for our production.

--The price of the M17 is relatively high. It was difficult for us to predict the sales at the beginning, so we were cautious about the order quantity of the module. And if we choose the 4+64 module, we can reserve more because we have other products also using it.

More details:

In the business world, the sales mode of micro SD card and HiFi portable player is exactly the opposite. As a digital accessory, micro SD cards have an annual sales volume of hundreds of millions. It is standardized with a large market. Commercially speaking, the cost of brand promotion and R&D can be ignored. Therefore, its retail price and hardware cost are very close.

Since portable HiFi players are a very niche product, there is almost no standardization. Therefore, the retail price includes marketing, research and development expenses. It is expensive for retailers. Therefore, the retail price and hardware cost are far away from each other.

Therefore, considering that 4G RAM is completely sufficient for music players. Larger RAM only allows the player to run more apps, yet it is bad for sound quality. More FLASH capacity can be achieved via a micro SD card. If it's still not enough, we have designed dual Type-C ports for the M17, so that it can be connected to a large-capacity hard drive.

The original link of this story : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/story-the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/#post-16677829

All of this post is not a surprise ... at all.
But, though it's not a big deal, it would be comfortable for a DAP to include 1Tb internal memory and 1 SD card reader with 1TB. I use with my M17 a WD P50 4TB SSD with success, but battery life if really reduced with it. I imagine that internal 1Tb wouldn't affect the battery life as a USB-C SSD drive.

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #3,602 of 5,692
How's the surface temperature of the M17 on the go? I'm talking if i would need to keep it out of my pocket to use it with my IEM on the go. I have the M15, and it is very warm, better not kept in the pocket during a summer stroll. I'd like to know if the M17 has improved on this!

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #3,603 of 5,692
We are so sorry we didn’t make a clear explanation before.During the R&D process, we had considered both the 4G+64G and 6G+128G solutions for the M17. However, we gave up the 6G+128G solution in the end due to the supply chain issue and consideration of devoting more to sound quality. When developing the M17, we ordered a small amount of 6G+128G materials. Eventually, on our 15th anniversary, we would like to sell 20 pieces of M17s of 6G+128G which has been produced well as a special model. They will be available at our AliExpress official store for 1899.99 USD on April 26, 2022. If you are interested, don’t miss the chance.

Here share a story of M17 that we have been released before!

Chapter 5 Why is the RAM and FLASH of M17 only 4G+64G?

In fact, when the M17 was in the internal beta process, our users raised this question. In fact, it was uncontrollable. Here I would like to explain it in detail.

At present, there are very few processors appropriate for android-based music players. FiiO has already adopted processors from Samsung, Rockchip, Qualcomm, etc. Rockchip's has weak performance, Samsung's has poor compatibility while Qualcomm's is currently the most appropriate. Therefore, four Chinese brands all applied the Qualcomm processor to their music players.

Due to the small order in the player industry, we had to order standard modules which have fewer optional configurations, including RAM+FLASH of 4+64 and 6+128. However, there are several problems with the module.

--Long lead time: the current lead time is 6 months.

--Minimum order quantity (MOQ) restriction: the current MOQ is 3000 RMB.

--High cost: each processor module is very expensive.

--The configuration of 6+128 is much more expensive than the 4+64, which means the retail price will be correspondingly increased.

Therefore, if we adopted the 6+128 module to the M17, there would be some problems.

--For consumers, it is worth buying a high-capacity micro SD card than paying more money for higher RAM and FLASH storage.

--We have to invest several million for the order of the module, which would be stressful for our production.

--The price of the M17 is relatively high. It was difficult for us to predict the sales at the beginning, so we were cautious about the order quantity of the module. And if we choose the 4+64 module, we can reserve more because we have other products also using it.

More details:

In the business world, the sales mode of micro SD card and HiFi portable player is exactly the opposite. As a digital accessory, micro SD cards have an annual sales volume of hundreds of millions. It is standardized with a large market. Commercially speaking, the cost of brand promotion and R&D can be ignored. Therefore, its retail price and hardware cost are very close.

Since portable HiFi players are a very niche product, there is almost no standardization. Therefore, the retail price includes marketing, research and development expenses. It is expensive for retailers. Therefore, the retail price and hardware cost are far away from each other.

Therefore, considering that 4G RAM is completely sufficient for music players. Larger RAM only allows the player to run more apps, yet it is bad for sound quality. More FLASH capacity can be achieved via a micro SD card. If it's still not enough, we have designed dual Type-C ports for the M17, so that it can be connected to a large-capacity hard drive.

The original link of this story : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/story-the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/#post-16677829
Running cool and long time is the most important thing, and having a microsd with a fast reader slot is all that is needed for functionality. On my M15 i can run DSD256 5.1 2gb songs with NO LAG. So i think as long as the quality of the microsd card reader is top notch, internal memory is only useful for apps.
I would reccomend a A2 class microsd to improve I/O operations to install data and read it with no issues.
It would be nice to know the rating of the microsd reader of the M17.

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #3,604 of 5,692
The M17 has landed. Loving this setup.

FF1E8691-BFEE-407D-99CE-39867817DBFE.jpeg

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #3,606 of 5,692
@MusicalDoc8 - I take my 17 out with me every day and it has never got even remotely warm. I use similar dsd files to you, and if not dsd I run in all-to-dsd mode, and it has never warmed up even a tiny bit. I exclusively use over ear cans, some of which need a bit of juice with no problem.

@Bramard - I’m curious to know your set-up as at home I’m on dc power, and even driving my HE-6 it never gets more than very mildly warm. And out I’m on all-to-dsd with my flac files, and again it never gets warm. At home I’ve not once needed to use the fan and I’ve got a lot of cans, some of which have me moving the volume up to around 100. I’m genuinely curious to hear why some folks would need to use the fan, as my HE-6 doesn’t result in the 17 warming up.

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #3,608 of 5,692
This is the only Power bank that I know to reliable activate EHP mode. Not cheap and a bit bulky but, voltage and amperage output can be precisely selected, ensuring no damage to the. M17.
Very good advice. DC power supply is completely different than DC charger.

DC Power Supply - the power supply decides voltage and max amperage it will supply. The DC power input of the device has no control of voltage and only controls max amperage it consumes. You will void your warranty if you don't use a DC power supply that is exactly as Fiio has specified - 12V with a minimum of 3A.

DC Charger - the charger has a range of voltages it can supply and also a maximum amperage it can provide. The DC USB input decides what voltage it wants and how much amperage it wants to consume. There is very low risk of using any 3rd party charger (in fact M17 doesn't even come with a charger) because the device itself regulates how much power it will take.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #3,609 of 5,692
is anyone else having issues with the Tidal app or the Amazon Prime Video app? I have tried everything I know to get them working but to no avail. I have tried updating software, changing wifi, changing passwords, turning off and on, etc.. All the other apps work fine (Qobuz, YouTube, etc.). Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks...

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #3,610 of 5,692
is anyone else having issues with the Tidal app or the Amazon Prime Video app? I have tried everything I know to get them working but to no avail. I have tried updating software, changing wifi, changing passwords, turning off and on, etc.. All the other apps work fine (Qobuz, YouTube, etc.). Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks...
I just tested my streaming applications (Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal), and it plays without any problems. Do you see any error message when opening the apps?

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #3,611 of 5,692
I just tested my streaming applications (Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal), and it plays without any problems. Do you see any error message when opening the apps?
Yes, and they are different every time. I went to both apps websites and followed their recommendations but didn't help. I wonder if I have to reset the whole DAP...

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #3,612 of 5,692

Thanks...
Tidal works fine for me.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #3,613 of 5,692
Have you recently updated your M17? I wonder whats causing the problems

Apr 21, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #3,615 of 5,692
@MusicalDoc8 - I take my 17 out with me every day and it has never got even remotely warm. I use similar dsd files to you, and if not dsd I run in all-to-dsd mode, and it has never warmed up even a tiny bit. I exclusively use over ear cans, some of which need a bit of juice with no problem.

@Bramard - I’m curious to know your set-up as at home I’m on dc power, and even driving my HE-6 it never gets more than very mildly warm. And out I’m on all-to-dsd with my flac files, and again it never gets warm. At home I’ve not once needed to use the fan and I’ve got a lot of cans, some of which have me moving the volume up to around 100. I’m genuinely curious to hear why some folks would need to use the fan, as my HE-6 doesn’t result in the 17 warming up.
Very interesting experience! I'm driving Focal Clear MG. I use to play HiRes songs streamed on Qobuz (it means flac streaming). I don't use all-to-dsd. If i play some music for about 30 minutes, the M17 begins to get midly warm. After one hour, I can't keep it on my hand because I feel that it is really to hot.
Do you think I have an issur with my M17? Maybe some other users advices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back