[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Mar 3, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #3,124 of 5,692
I now finally bought the M17 and I will sell my very beloved M11 plus LTD. The M17 is in every way superior and has such a meaty, powerful and clean sound. Its totally addictive. Yes it is a big tank and totally heavy. But also extremly powerful.
The strange think is, it is not louder as the LTD, altough it has so much more Power (I use the same volume level).
I use it with very effective headphones (Focal Clear MG and IEMs Unique Melody Mest MK2). So in theory they don't need the extra power. But I was wrong. They both shine and especially the Mest MK2 suprised me. They both sound even more fantastic. Much more refined and powerful in every corner. The best way to describe it, is that when you hear (for example) one of my favorite test tracks Hotel California (live on MTV 1994) by the Eagles, you hear the clapping and whistling of the crowd in the beginning extremly strong. It is not a crowd anymore, you hear every single person and you can identify them clearly, because every tiny bit of the spectrum has total power. Another thing with the impactful Clear MG is, that it now penetrates your brain hard. It is like a drug, first you think wow, that is to much sound, but than you get addicted❤️❤️
It is important to say, that I only talked about the desktop mode (3Watt output). The other modes are also very good with more than enough power, but the desktop mode ****s you up, but in a really good way. 😻
at first time i tried m17 i thought it sound distorted but its not. its the superb detail came from m17. :k701smile:

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #3,125 of 5,692
Quick update on the case situation: I also purchased the Pelican 1040 case and as was said here earlier, it really does fit like a glove. It’s as if they made it for the M17.

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #3,126 of 5,692
I decided to take apart the fan on the stand for the M17 to see how easy it would be to replace the included fan for a 3rd party fan that is quieter and produces more airflow.

It would appear that the included fan is a 5 volt 10.8mm width 80mm fan

FiiO included fan

20211219_131906735_iOS.jpg20211219_131939447_iOS.jpg20211219_132004699_iOS.jpg20211219_132139300_iOS.jpg20211219_132204594_iOS.jpg

Hi there, for those who replaced the fan, is it possible to use a 12v fan instead of 5v? I am actually eyeing the Noctua NF-A8 which is 12v and has a 3pin connection. Would this work? Thanks

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #3,128 of 5,692
Brief impressions. After 100 hrs of burn in, I gave a listen with my AION Laylas 4.4mm balanced, medium output. In my experience Laylas need an amp that can drive high impedance loads. It's not volume that's the issue as Laylas are 20 ohm, but rather dynamics. Under powered, Laylas sound darker and more congested. I have not tried DC mode but will give that a go once I get my linear power supply. Definitely curious to pair with my Utopias (sorry don't have them with me at the moment).

Comparisons

M11 Plus LTD (AKM) - I used high output on M11. M17 definitely has a more spacious sound with better sub bass extension and more sparkle in the highs. M17 upper mids are a little better defined as well. It's definitely an upgrade for the Laylas but we are talking the last 3-5% improvement. I only want one DAP and with M17 I have equal future proofing as M11 for software, but with the increase in power capabilities, I have much more future proofing of headphones that I may get with M17. UI quality is the same, but M17 gets the edge with the auto screen rotate. I also prefer the input and output ports on opposite ends instead of all on one end like M11.

K9 Pro (AKM) - given the same THX amp design, my expectation was that M17 was simply a DAP version of the K9 Pro. For the most part I got what I expected. However, here is where things get interesting - K9 Pro sound more neutral, clinical whereas M17 sounds a touch more warm and smooth. Given the general impressions that ESS DACs are more leaner and clinical versus the "velvet" sound of AKM, this was definitely unexpected. To be clear, both have equal transparency and details. The difference IMHO is sound tuning - K9 Pro is neutral and M17 is just a little more sub bass and just a hair less bite on the high end. If you had told me the DAC labels were switched, I would have believed you.

Well done Fiio! I will be replacing both M11 and K9 Pro with the M17. Oh, IMHO the M17 is the best DAP pairing I've heard in my 6+ years of owning various versions of Laylas. Yes, I'm looking at you AK! (owned all version between AK240 thru SP1000).

Random Observations
  • 5 GHz wifi seems to max out at 200 mbps. No issue for streaming, but it did take a while to download my entire 700 GB Apple Music library (for offline listening)
  • Youtube videos are out of sync with audio. Don't really care though.
  • Wavelet, system wide EQ app, works fine. Tested with Apple Music (for those giving this a try you have to enable EQ in Apple Music after setting up Wavelet. Done correctly, the Apple Music EQ setting will show the Wavelet screen instead of the built in EQ)
  • Using an iFi iPower 5V 2.1A charger, this is able to keep battery mode topped off at my limit of 80% while playing.
  • Lock Screen doesn't rotate but rotates to after unlock.
  • Recommend the 3 button nav if you use screen rotation a lot. The edge of the case makes the swipe nav hard to use.
  • Seems like a better screen than M11, but could just be the size LOL

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #3,130 of 5,692
First evening. So far, so good :). I am impressed how spacious and holographic the M17 is.
IMG_6777.jpeg

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #3,131 of 5,692
Hii there, I just unpacked my M17. As I was warned through earlier posts, I really do find the fan too loud. Based on the picture from @ScubaDrunk , I assume any replacement fan needs to be soldered. Or did anybody just run a cable through the stand ? Thanks
Checked the mounting holes of the original fan and spacing is the same as standard 80mm case fans (71.5mm center to center). The fan is 15mm thick so any replacement fan that is 80x80x15mm should fit with original mounting hardware.

The fan is powered by a USB C port on the bottom right corner. Assuming you can remove the entire fan while keeping the 4 silicon spacers on the front side, you could mount any 5V USB fan that is already wired with a USB B socket. Some even have variable speed controls like this one:

5V Fan
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00G059G86

If you go the 12V route there are a lot more selections since those are used for cooling desktop PCs. However, you add a lot more complexity. You would need a 12V DC power source, then you would need a PWM control to manage fan speed. There are numerous 12V power adapters and very cheap. For control, it's gets a little more difficult but here is one:

Controller
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-FC1-4-pin-PWM-Controller/dp/B072M2HKSN

You would just need to figure out how to wire the input side with 12V and cut/splice the wires from 12V power adapter to the input connector. Fortunately this controller uses the common 4 pin input that most DC case fans use so you could try multiple fans to figure out which one works best. You can just use no solder wire nuts, but if you want a clean look, then yes basic soldering and shrink tubes are required.

Since the original fans needs it's own power source, you don't need to use 5V for a replacement since the M17 does not supply the power to the fan.

Edit - it seems this website redirects Amazon links to a paid advertisers so I put the text links to Amazon below.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #3,132 of 5,692
Checked the mounting holes of the original fan and spacing is the same as standard 80mm case fans (71.5mm center to center). The fan is 15mm thick so any replacement fan that is 80x80x15mm should fit with original mounting hardware.

The fan is powered by a USB C port on the bottom right corner. Assuming you can remove the entire fan while keeping the 4 silicon spacers on the front side, you could mount any 5V USB fan that is already wired with a USB B socket. Some even have variable speed controls like this one:

5V Fan
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00G059G86

If you go the 12V route there are a lot more selections since those are used for cooling desktop PCs. However, you add a lot more complexity. You would need a 12V DC power source, then you would need a PWM control to manage fan speed. There are numerous 12V power adapters and very cheap. For control, it's gets a little more difficult but here is one:

Controller
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-FC1-4-pin-PWM-Controller/dp/B072M2HKSN

You would just need to figure out how to wire the input side with 12V and cut/splice the wires from 12V power adapter to the input connector. Fortunately this controller uses the common 4 pin input that most DC case fans use so you could try multiple fans to figure out which one works best. You can just use no solder wire nuts, but if you want a clean look, then yes basic soldering and shrink tubes are required.

Since the original fans needs it's own power source, you don't need to use 5V for a replacement since the M17 does not supply the power to the fan.

Edit - it seems this website redirects Amazon links to a paid advertisers so I put the text links to Amazon below.
Thank you very much for your explanations and input to the 5 vs 12v scenario. I had also seen the Noctua controller but wasn't so sure about the overall route to take. May be best to take it step by step with 5v first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back