[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Feb 25, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #3,032 of 5,692
So anyway...I'm right on the verge of buying the M17 as I have a lengthy surgery recovery coming up and this would certainly come in handy. Let's face it, it's pretty much the stellar Oppo 205 shrunk into a transportable chassis.

It would appear to me that Apos Audio may be the best place to buy this in the US. First and foremost, there's no tax (outside CA) unlike almost everywhere else--including Amazon now. They also offer an extended return policy with no restocking fee so your only return cost would be the cost of shipping this (admittedly heavy) bad boy back.

Has anyone in the US used them and agree with my assessment?
Seems like they don't have a customer service number, you have to reach them by email.

I'm always skeptical with companies I have to reach by email because it's too easy for them to blow me off if I have problems IMHO. I certainly wouldn't spend $2000 with them.

Also no customer service number indicates financial stability issues imho. Makes me wonder if they will be around if or when I have issues.

You know any other no tax companies?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #3,035 of 5,692
Lack of bass mostly - at least with my Stellias. Not sure if it's a synergy thing.

After 16 hours or so the sound was pretty grainy and lacked good instrument separation (i.e. not a very quiet noise floor). Very 'mid-fi' compared to my SP2000. So I let it play for another day. That aspect might have improved but it still sounds anemic to me. Again, that part might be synergy. Note that I'm using it on battery only (I'm only interested in the mobile aspect of it).
Do you still dislike the m17 or have you changed your mind?

Feb 25, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #3,036 of 5,692
Thinking of selling my M11 Pro which is worth a mint now due to the shortage of AKM chips and my coveted Calyx M which is also in high demand for the right people... and getting this in it's place. Looking for a USA retailer that's returnable without a ridiculous restock fee as several people have (rightly).commented that Amazon is not what it used to be. I have assortment of TQ quality headphones to see how this would work with. Dynamic: Both pioneer Master SE and Monitor 5, as well as the exquisitely gorgeous Final Audio Sonorous X (attached--complete with balanced cable). On the planar front, I still have the HEX V2s.

Specifically, has anyone here run the M17 with Sonorous X (or a high-end over the ear headphone from Final)?

One more fun fact: The best way for me determine the weight of the M17 is to pick up the Sonorous X because believe it or not they weigh even *more* (by 20g) @ 630g. Talk about a well-built headphone.. it doesn't get much better!

I'm certainly familiar with the sound as I already have an Oppo 205 which uses the same 9038Pro DAC... so this would be for my back bedroom to listen to my *extensive* collection of DSD media which is currently up to over 1TB after converting all my existing original SACD discs from back in the day. I currently use an LG v40 for that which is no slouch in its own right).

That said I would rarely if ever travel with the "beast" & people are talking about the screen protector and actually adding a *double* layer to it. I personally detest them as they detract from the overall look and feel and I take extreme care of my equipment--including phone. My question is...not only would I be willing to give the spare to someone here who needs it...I literally wonder if I could I could successfully peel the original layer OFF :)
Are you still selling the calyx m?

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #3,038 of 5,692
I appreciate your input thanks 😊
Hey

I just remembered something.
Monoprice.
I got a pair of M570 for less than £200 and was really impressed. Enough to order both the 1070 and the 1570. They are both excellent headphones, especially the M1570. They have got their fair share of hate, and all I’ll say is that they are on the heavy side and a little unyielding to wear, but it’s never bothered me. Their signature reminds me a lot of my HE6, which is a glowing recommendation. They sound very dramatic and powerful and are a bargain at anything below £400. I love my pair and recently Monoprice released a closed back variant - the M1570C I think they’re called. They look great and I feel confident in saying that as long as one doesn’t mind a large pair of headphones, that they’ll likely be an extremely good option. At their size they aren’t really going to be portable but still, excellent closed-backs that cost under £500 are pretty rare.
Perhaps have a look into them.
C

Feb 25, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #3,039 of 5,692
@FiiO Willson
@FiiO

What is the maximum current output of M17?
3W@32Ω ,So the Maximum crrent out ≥ 306mA@32Ω :L3000:
Because this test condition is tested at less than 1% distortion, so if you want to get more current, it should be possible, but we have not specifically tested exactly how big it can be.

1645842991127.png

Attachments

• 1645843017319.png
    1645843017319.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 26, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #3,041 of 5,692
There is a screen protector already applied to the M17 at the factory. The one included in the box is a spare.

Feb 26, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #3,042 of 5,692
Which is the best method to connect the M17 to an External DAC/AMP?
USB-C to 75 Ohm Coaxial RCA or using the in-built SPDIF Coaxial RCA to RCA?
Cheers to all who contribute their views 🍻

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #3,044 of 5,692
Which is the best method to connect the M17 to an External DAC/AMP?
USB-C to 75 Ohm Coaxial RCA or using the in-built SPDIF Coaxial RCA to RCA?
Cheers to all who contribute their views 🍻
One of the best features of the M17 is the full sized coaxial RCA output.
I would use this option to connect to an external DAC unless for some specific reason the DAC has a crappy coaxial input.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #3,045 of 5,692
I wish it was portable. It's form factor makes it a deal breaker for me, otherwise it would be a no Brainer.
AK sounds awesome, but they just can't seem to get it together when it comes to ui or user experience. Yet...

It was for me initially but I got used to it. Now the M11plusLTD by comparison feels small. I walk around with cargo pants / sling bags. I wouldn't take it for long trips outside but its manageable.

Heres how it looks like in the pocket. Size difference compared to the M11Plus LTD in hand. The M17 is about 2.5X wider. I will say that I have had some interesting looks at the coffeeshops 😂. YMMV

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-102505_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-102505_Gallery.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220226-103624_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-103624_Gallery.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back