[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 16, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #1,456 of 5,692
Hello

Recently owner of a M17.
I want to know at which codec and sample rate match the light indicator colors

Thanks

Nothing in the help manual online at FiiO that I could find...

So far my findings for the auto color based on format default :
  • Green : DSD
  • Purple : MQA
  • Yellow : HR / 24bit - 48-192
  • Blue : SQ / 16 bit - 44

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,457 of 5,692
It's working like a charm with the M17.
Fiio player and Neutron player have an option to build the library manually or automatically like any common SD card and both are much more convenient than poor pieces of software like with A&K Kann Alpha, which can't deactivate automatic building and makes using an external drive a real pain as it takes a long time and every time you connect a SSD.
With the M17 some player like UAPP or Bubbleupnp won't allow you to insert files of the SSD/HD in their music library, but, at least, you can go through the folders on the drive and play the music (in this case there are no search functions, sorting, etc.).
So I understand. If I attach my external drive the m17 will read the music files immediately without need each time to populate the player? I can just turn on the player and access the music on the drive without lag etc?

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,460 of 5,692
So I understand. If I attach my external drive the m17 will read the music files immediately without need each time to populate the player? I can just turn on the player and access the music on the drive without lag etc?
Yes ..
1) when you use Fiio Player or Neutron player .. It will be through the Music library (assuming at least once you gathered all the music in the library, but it's not necessary to do it every time you plug the HDD or SSD) usually HDD or SSSD are faster than SD reader so there is no lag.
2) when you use other players like UAPP, Bubbleupnp, etc .. you can access directly through the directories without loosing time too, but you can't access through tags like genre, artist, years, etc ...

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,461 of 5,692
Will have to disagree here.
I’m currently playing Tidal MQA files and the light is blue
What is the bitrate displayed?

Tidal MQA should be minimum 24bit/44.1... I have yet to find a single MQA track that is not displaying a purple indicator... Most of them are 88.2, 96 and 192 but even 24/44.1 album like "Uncommon and above" from Edgar Meyer, Belà Fleck, Mike Marshall is showing purple for me...

Obviously that means you have the proper Tidal subscription and/or it means you have not forced the streaming / download format to anything else than "Master" in the app settings...

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,463 of 5,692
What is the bitrate displayed?

Tidal MQA should be minimum 24bit/44.1... I have yet to find a single MQA track that is not displaying a purple indicator... Most of them are 88.2, 96 and 192 but even 24/44.1 album like "Uncommon and above" from Edgar Meyer, Belà Fleck, Mike Marshall is showing purple for me...

Obviously that means you have the proper Tidal subscription and/or it means you have not forced the streaming / download format to anything else than "Master" in the app settings...
image.jpg

Playing in Master quality and the light is yellow.

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,467 of 5,692
I've switched that off before even turning the music on. :k701smile:

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #1,469 of 5,692
How have FiiO fared with customer service/support lately? I am intrigued by the m17 but remember coming across quite a few product reliability& support related horror stories a few years ago when I was considering another FiiO product. I ended up not buying back then.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Anyone?

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,470 of 5,692
Playing in Master quality and the light is yellow.
You should enable bitrate indication on the top bar :wink:

Also that's not yellow but looks green, and looks like you're running in all to DSD mode are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back