[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Sep 5, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #361 of 5,692
That's cool, pun intended.
I suppose, if you carry that brick in your pocket, you don't mind the cooling stand in your other pocket.
And the air blows in the between ? Sure!
Maybe the FiiO M17 Cooling Stand "box fan" pops off the Stand and attaches to the M17 / Leather Case, for portable cooling?

Kind of like the ROG Gaming Phone "AeroActive" cooling fan?

Perhaps FiiO can offer a "Cryo Camel Hump" Backpack as optional for off-road liquid cooling while in "Heavy Over the Ear Mode" so I can drive my Hifiman HE6SE V2?

An innovative entrepreneur needs to come up with a small form-fitting portable cooling solution? Perhaps "Igloo" can make a Styrofoam M17 carrying case with a "BlueIce" Compartment for passive cooling on the go?

Or, go all out and adapt an ICECO portable refrigerator with Wheels and a sturdy place to "Sit and Listen". Poviding an add-on optional FiiO M17 sized "DAP Cool Down" compartment?

What if the M17 didn't get that hot driving IEM's or BT headphones while in my pocket?

@FiiO, if you haven't already, perhaps add one or two low-power low-heat generation operational modes, "Cool Pocket Mode" 1 & 2, perhaps?

It's probably not that bad, the M17 has 2x the mass of the M15 - plenty more mass to heat soak, and the M15 dissipates heat without cooking me and does it without an Active Fan, "BlueIce", or any other special cooling considerations :)

Sep 5, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #362 of 5,692
I'm assuming this is the Weibo unboxing I can't see from here, now on Youtube :)

... the M17 sure is impressive :)

Fiio M17 - Hi-Fi Mp3 Music Player Unboxing

Specs: DAC: ES9038PRO*2, Headphone amplifier: THX AAA-788, PRO Screen: 5.99 inches, 18:9, 1080P LCD display, Main control: Qualcomm 660+4GB RAM+64GB FLASH, Headphone jack: 6.35/4.4/3.5/2.5, Line output: 3.5+4.4 LO, Digital output: USB AUDIO+RCA coaxial, Battery: 9200mAh, Power supply: DC12V, Charging: QC3.0+PD,
Size and weight: 156.4x88.5x28mm (M15: 134*75*18mm), 610g (M15: 307g)
FiiO M17 #1..jpg
FiiO M17 #2.jpg

Fiio M17 Cooling Stand - Hi-Fi Mp3 Music Player

Translated From Chinese "M17 uses the same four-way THX788+ amplifier circuit as the K9Pro, and the output power is very strong. It is a real portable computer. Because of this, if it is in the DC power supply mode, due to the high working voltage of the amp circuit, when paired with some headphones that require high voltage and high current, the M17 will be more portable than common when playing dynamic and strong songs under long-term high volume. The equipment is quite tall. So we specially designed this cooling bracket with fan to cool down. There are two optional wind speeds, and there is enough space at the bottom for wiring. In addition, unlike other portable devices, M17 comes standard with this heat dissipation bracket and a high-power DC power supply (fast charging is not supported). It also fully demonstrates the extraordinary features of M17. When posting this Weibo, some netizens are interested in this fan bracket, so I will explain the ins and outs. Because it is designed for M17, the size structure is not very suitable for other models, but if there are many people in demand, we can still put into production a relatively general heat dissipation bracket."
Is the cooler part of the package?

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #363 of 5,692
Maybe they should include a specially designed backpack that can accommodate the player and a cooling solution. Obviously the fan won't work inside the backpack, but some ice packs would. Just like a cooling box for picnics.
We would also need a phone app to control the player without removing it from the backpack.

On a more serious note... I wonder what's the life expectation of the battery, if the device gets so hot it needs a fan? Not to mention the extra noise and distortion caused by overheated components. Oh, and... can I take this on a plane or is it a fire hazard?

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #364 of 5,692
Let me get this right, you will need a portable fan stand to use the M17 with headphones?????

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #365 of 5,692
Let me get this right, you will need a portable fan stand to use the M17 with headphones?????
My take was if you have it plugged into a wall wort and you are running inefficient cans (high current, high voltage), then yes. Running some efficient IEM's, then no.

Remember folks, everything is a compromise.

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #366 of 5,692
Yes, apparently.

The concept behind these sort of devices is daft:
1. They are not portable. You cannot use this on the go because it's too big and heavy, and it overheats. If it needs a fan when used on a desk, imagine how hot it gets when running inside your pocket.
2. It's compromised as a desktop dac+amp. The choice of size and components means it cannot efficiently dissipate the heat, which will have a serious effect on the performance of the analogue and digital components, as well as on the longevity of the device itself. Besides, it requires a cooling fan, which makes audible noise! That alone defeats the idea of a high performance audio device.

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #367 of 5,692
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #368 of 5,692
I mean I was expecting something akin to the iBasso MAX series of players, but FiiO tried to cram even more power into a even slimmer device, no wonder it's having heat dissipation issues.

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #369 of 5,692
I mean I was expecting something akin to the iBasso MAX series of players, but FiiO tried to cram even more power into a even slimmer device, no wonder it's having heat dissipation issues.
No portable chassis without active cooling can tackles 4 of the most demanding Chips , 9038Pros and THX

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #372 of 5,692
Why not 2 USB-C charging plugs ???? It will be so annoying not to able to use any modern 100W external charger or even power banks !!!
This add-on fan without plugs for external power and/or spdif looks almost useless too.
Some disappointment with this video.
At least android 10 and 2x2W will make the only available DAP for demanding Headphones like HEDDphone and be free at home to move any place or even in the garden, assuming there is some wifi access there too.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #373 of 5,692
I'll take one, thank you very much.

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #375 of 5,692
Is the cooler part of the package?
But I don't see it in the unboxing video. At least not as part of the box content.
As I tried to show - in the 2 video's I quoted Description/Pinned Comment text included , and in the 2nd video's comments the FiiO Rep OP writes in his Pinned Comment that the Fan Stand is included with the M17 which I also included in my original post, here is the relevant clip:

"So we specially designed this cooling bracket with fan to cool down. There are two optional wind speeds, and there is enough space at the bottom for wiring. In addition, unlike other portable devices, M17 comes standard with this heat dissipation bracket and a high-power DC power supply (fast charging is not supported). It also fully demonstrates the extraordinary features of M17. When posting this Weibo, some netizens are interested in this fan bracket, so I will explain the ins and outs. Because it is designed for M17, the size structure is not very suitable for other models, but if there are many people in demand, we can still put into production a relatively general heat dissipation bracket.""

He doesn't show the Fan Stand unboxing, it simply "appears" as if by magic in both videos - perhaps at the time FiiO didn't have a "production" box ready for an unboxing?

The FiiO M15 uses the FiiO DK1 "dock", which splits charging and data I/O duties - you need 2 USB-C connections, and the DK1 is boxed and sold separately from the M15.

He didn't show the connections to the Dock - USB Power / USB Data, and I also didn't see any "wires coming out of" the "Fan Stand" when he showed the Fan operation - so perhaps the Fan Stand can derive power *from* the M17 as well as send power *to* the M17 for charging. That way the Fan Stand is useful when portable - you don't need to plug in the "dock" it can be powered from the M17?

Much to discover still, but this is a good start :)
what I don’t get is….what does the Fan do to the flat closed back ? Hmmm…perhaps the vent inlets is the sides ? Then why the fan in the back
I wonder the same, as the Asus ROG Phone has case vents directly inline with the fan airflow to allow "passthrough" of the air blowing from the clipped on "AeroFan"...perhaps the Fan Stand was still in the concept stage when these videos were made? I hope so as the included Box Fan is terribly loud...and as configured it is likely not very effective.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back