[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Feb 27, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #3,061 of 5,692
I know Soundnews has a review of the M17 but has anyone else tested the Susvara on the M17 with ifi power elite? How much sound quality would I lose by running it with the M17 compared to an acceptable desktop range amplifier / DAC?
That's an interesting question. You've prompted me to try Shpongle with the combo. I can hit maximum volume without the sound getting super-loud though. There's some blur of the micro details and dynamics, which isn't such a surprise. Slam is a bit lacking too. I wouldn't choose to run Susvaras out of an M17. Get a pair of HE1000 V2 or Aryas for that. With the Aryas, things are much better.
I'm looking to use the m17 primarily with iem like campfire Solaris. Is this overkill or a match made in heaven?
This is Head-Fi. "Overkill" doesn't exist here. :wink:
Guys I'm in the market for a new pair of over ear headphones, currently looking at hifiman sundara focal elegia and beyerdymamic DT 1990 anyone have any experience with any of these with the M17 and are there any others to be considered within a £600 budget ?
I'd suggest some form of planar headphones, so maybe the new HiFiMan Edition headphones. I haven't reviewed them yet though, only the older Sundaras.
From what I hear about the jh roxanne, it seems like the m17 would be a match made in heaven. For my first couple of songs, my warm iem seems like a really good fit with m17
I still have an old pair of Roxanne. I might have to try this combo for the review.
Could you recommend some IEMS that warm sounding while maintaining lush clarity and musical? the price is between $600-$1200.
I rather like the Meze Rai Penta, even when I recently re-tried them. There may be better value now with other IEMs, but finding a pair that doesn't have a piercing treble can be a challenge.
@FiiO - is it possible to use USB to Ethernet device to improve network throughput and reliability in poor Wifi situations. I have a very active Wifi location to contend with.

Would @FiiO be able to add an Ethernet accessory to the M17/M15? And, add a built-in or external Ethernet interface to the next FiiO M DAP release?

With the improvements in hardware performance it would be nice to have a Gigabit Ethernet interface on the DAP or USB 3.2 speed Ethernet external interface.
Does Android by default work with USB-C to ethernet adaptors? If so, I want to do this too.

Feb 27, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #3,062 of 5,692
@FiiO - 是否可以使用 USB 转以太网设备在 Wifi 较差的情况下提高网络吞吐量和可靠性。我有一个非常活跃的Wifi位置。

@FiiO 是否能够向 M17/M15 添加以太网配件?并且,在下一个FiiO M DAP版本中添加内置或外部以太网接口?

随着硬件性能的提高,在DAP或USB 3.2速度以太网外部接口上安装千兆以太网接口会很好。

所以
@FiiO - is it possible to use USB to Ethernet device to improve network throughput and reliability in poor Wifi situations. I have a very active Wifi location to contend with.

Would @FiiO be able to add an Ethernet accessory to the M17/M15? And, add a built-in or external Ethernet interface to the next FiiO M DAP release?

With the improvements in hardware performance it would be nice to have a Gigabit Ethernet interface on the DAP or USB 3.2 speed Ethernet external interface.

M17 does't support this feature.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 27, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #3,063 of 5,692
M17 does't support this feature.
Thank you @JamesFiiO, it would be great if FiiO added support for Ethernet either directly out of the DAP body, via USB dongle accessory, or build-in ethernet in Dock accessory.

In many environments I am in there is too much Wifi, but I have an ethernet port available - so I can remove my packets from the air and reduce conjestion, and get better throughput myself via wired eithernet.

Thanks again!, Scott

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #3,064 of 5,692
It was for me initially but I got used to it. Now the M11plusLTD by comparison feels small. I walk around with cargo pants / sling bags. I wouldn't take it for long trips outside but its manageable.

Heres how it looks like in the pocket. Size difference compared to the M11Plus LTD in hand. The M17 is about 2.5X wider. I will say that I have had some interesting looks at the coffeeshops 😂. YMMV
I can't get over this comparison. Lol. Really puts it in perspective. Better than any other I've seen. Thumbs-up!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #3,066 of 5,692
I purchased it on Amazon. I'm guessing they won't help after the 30 day return window?

My opinion is that it pairs best with warm iem and or headphones too. They bring out the absolute best in some of my bass head iem. Again, this is my second day only tested like 5 songs..

But neutral reference iem can be too piercing and I wouldn't use it for those. Sony warm signature seems to pair alot better with the neutrals but less detail of course.
Dear friend,

If the Amazon seller fails to help, you could contact us via support@fiio.com with the Amazon invoice attached.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 28, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #3,067 of 5,692
@Currawong

Does your comment above also apply to HE1000se no only to the V2? Or is it specific to the V2 for some reason? Thanks!
I haven't had any time with the SE, so I didn't mention them. But, basically, anything other than Susvaras should be a lot better.

About my up-coming review: There seems to be a volume level change (or was) between DC-powered desktop mode and battery-powered headphone mode, so sitting down and trying to sort out the actual sound differences (not just ones the result of a gain/volume change) has been tedious. I want to get it right for the review.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #3,068 of 5,692
I haven't had any time with the SE, so I didn't mention them. But, basically, anything other than Susvaras should be a lot better.

About my up-coming review: There seems to be a volume level change (or was) between DC-powered desktop mode and battery-powered headphone mode, so sitting down and trying to sort out the actual sound differences (not just ones the result of a gain/volume change) has been tedious. I want to get it right for the review.
With Neuton Player ... it's rather simple to make some direct A/B comparison with an EQ parameter to add about 2db volume level to compensate when you deactivate the enhanced mode ( manually with the button down on the right of the M17) => we can really catch some other enhancements other than just volume level in speed/clarity of the impacts of low/ultra-low frequencies (at least with a DC ifi Power Elite 12V/4A)

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #3,069 of 5,692

Attachments

• 20220228_153619.jpg
    20220228_153619.jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #3,070 of 5,692
I’ve found out that DC mode improved clarity and separation even on the lower gain levels.

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #3,071 of 5,692
I am finding the over-the-head gain too distorted (on battery). I have to use a step lower (high gain) and still find it not clean enough for my taste.

I have decided not to keep it.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #3,074 of 5,692
Currawong
Does your comment above also apply to HE1000se no only to the V2? Or is it specific to the V2 for some reason? Thanks!
I know I'm not the person you asked. And the person you asked weighed in. But in regards to the HE1K variants I would add: you can rest assured that anything regarding "suitability to drive" for the V2 is equally the case for the V1 or se; and visa versa.

P.s. I wasn't aware of this until now, but the SE is rated 6dB more efficient (easier to drive) than the V2/1. And that is at the same impedance, thus drawing the same power from the source (an apples to apples comparison).

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #3,075 of 5,692
Strangely my findings are exactly the opposite.
I am using over the ear mode on battery with headphones like HD8XX, Arya, Clear Mg and Elite with perfect results.
Crystal clear, undistorted sound with perfect control and plenty of headroom.
I find M17 sounding good in all cases, but it has a slight sharpness on vocals and high frequencies. That is frustrating me when listening on higher volume over ear mode with Focal Clear and Audeze-X. Not so noticeable with HD650, because they sound softer. I wish that M17 could sound just a bit softer and fuller, not so sharp on high frequencies and vocals, then would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back