[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 1, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #4,756 of 5,692
I don't think any company that sells for reasonable prices should provide upgrade paths (e.g. buying back old and used devices for an over the used market price) so that the buyers can avoid losing money.
It makes for people who have less money find a good entry level point, with warranty.
Unfortunately, buying second hand after 1/2 years means you're completely on your own with warranty. Any defect is on you for repairs and easily can get over the price of just buying first hand. Meanwhile if they do something similar to the M15 refurbished sale, where people got offered a 40% off, more people would buy the old units and refurbished ones, and people who bought early get the perk of being able to get a new model with more or less guaranteed buyback and way less cost for upgrade.
This is the same business model for cars, where you can just give back the old model for a new one that gives you a guaranteed buyback price that helps you buy a new model with way less money than new. Not to mention, not needing to find a buyer, finding the right price point etc etc.
Basically, maker wins, users wins, everybody has perks.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #4,757 of 5,692
It makes for people who have less money find a good entry level point, with warranty.
Unfortunately, buying second hand after 1/2 years means you're completely on your own with warranty. Any defect is on you for repairs and easily can get over the price of just buying first hand. Meanwhile if they do something similar to the M15 refurbished sale, where people got offered a 40% off, more people would buy the old units and refurbished ones, and people who bought early get the perk of being able to get a new model with more or less guaranteed buyback and way less cost for upgrade.
This is the same business model for cars, where you can just give back the old model for a new one that gives you a guaranteed buyback price that helps you buy a new model with way less money than new. Not to mention, not needing to find a buyer, finding the right price point etc etc.
Basically, maker wins, users wins, everybody has perks.
Cars have showrooms, people working for these showrooms that make sure that the car is OK which have to go through regular tests anyway, with a big web of international sellers, with a much larger custimer base that are ready to spend money on a car with multiple possible reasons.

Such a niche market product from a very small company with a much smaller infrastructure with a _possibility of_ supporting this kind of a process that has a much smaller earnings per item. I don't see it happening but you can hope for it, for sure.

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #4,758 of 5,692
Cars have showrooms, people working for these showrooms that make sure that the car is OK which have to go through regular tests anyway, with a big web of international sellers, with a much larger custimer base that are ready to spend money on a car with multiple possible reasons.

Such a niche market product from a very small company with a much smaller infrastructure with a _possibility of_ supporting this kind of a process that has a much smaller earnings per item. I don't see it happening but you can hope for it, for sure.
industry can make lots of money on volume not just margins, so if such incentives boost volume, overall they get more money even if smaller margins. and lowering the price entrance of high end with such initiatives such as ''refurbished'' from the maker would get more people interested. hell, one could end up reducing costs because you can have less models you can sell at different price points based on age, so that you have a main lineup divided into tiers and age.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #4,759 of 5,692
I can already imagine a 'Fiio certified pre-owned' badge or shop :) Gives people the opportunity to buy a high-end DAP like the M17 from a trustworthy source at a more affordable price. At the same time, us hardcore DAP guys can get the latest and greatest with less investment.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #4,760 of 5,692
industry can make lots of money on volume not just margins, so if such incentives boost volume, overall they get more money even if smaller margins. and lowering the price entrance of high end with such initiatives such as ''refurbished'' from the maker would get more people interested. hell, one could end up reducing costs because you can have less models you can sell at different price points based on age, so that you have a main lineup divided into tiers and age.
This is an extra process that will be an add on cost. They need to be collectrd from all over the world with shipment and iimport costs covered by the company and resellers will have to be compansated for their extra effort. On top these drvices need to be collected, rechecked and possibly repacked and reshipped again at the cost of the company. All this has to be done by employing new people or contracting external companies. On top, additional warranty, box content, dealing with the problems happening in the process etc.

So you are expecting a small company to do all this for free so that you don't lose money selling the device yourself?

As for the models, companies are not releasing new models just to release new models. Sometimes the parts they "scavenged" are out of production, or competitors bring out new models forcing them to bring out new models. It also depends on the demand dynamics.

Anyway... As said, I don't see it happening but you can hope, for sure. Maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #4,761 of 5,692
I can already imagine a 'Fiio certified pre-owned' badge or shop :) Gives people the opportunity to buy a high-end DAP like the M17 from a trustworthy source at a more affordable price. At the same time, us hardcore DAP guys can get the latest and greatest with less investment.
Exactly my point!

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #4,763 of 5,692
Fortunately, Fiio is making the business plans, otherwise I wouldn't have bought an M17 :smile:.

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #4,764 of 5,692

Yes, it is very difficult for us to do that.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 3, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #4,765 of 5,692
Yes, it is very difficult for us to do that.
It was just a suggestion, you have a very good company! And if you will manage to implement the replaceable battery in the m17s, i think a lot of customers would gladly upgrade!

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #4,766 of 5,692
It was just a suggestion, you have a very good company! And if you will manage to implement the replaceable battery in the m17s, i think a lot of customers would gladly upgrade!

will try, but it is very interesting that all the people think it is a bad idea. I will we still need time to figure out how to implement a replaceable battery but not lost the battery time and the standard coaxial out socket.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #4,767 of 5,692
will try, but it is very interesting that all the people think it is a bad idea. I will we still need time to figure out how to implement a replaceable battery but not lost the battery time and the standard coaxial out socket.
coaxial out socket needs to be kept, and it would be great if they added another optical output, as in Q7, this would be a good solution.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #4,769 of 5,692
if the coaxial socket can simply be done out of the 3.5mm socket and a little adapter, what's the issue?
not to mention if the battery is replaceable, battery time becomes less relevant becase even if there is a small reduction, you can swap the battery and go back to 100%, like on drones (mavic mini).

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #4,770 of 5,692
if the coaxial socket can simply be done out of the 3.5mm socket and a little adapter, what's the issue?
not to mention if the battery is replaceable, battery time becomes less relevant becase even if there is a small reduction, you can swap the battery and go back to 100%, like on drones (mavic mini).
If there will be also a new version of dual dac chip ex4499 inside, then I will be interested in this new project...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back