[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Feb 5, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #5,041 of 5,693
I have listened to my M17 via 4.4mm to XLR, Burson Soloist 3XP, Emotiva XPA HC1-1 and Dynaudio Evoke 50. Sounds fantastic. Line out activated, of course. Then I took the preamp out and connected it straight to the amps. Sound quality was markedly below the previous setup that included the preamp. Yet another confirmation that a good preamp does magic with your music.

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #5,042 of 5,693
... right, no problem.
Initially used the M17 on a Feliks Echo Mk2 connected also via 3,5mm -> RCA cable, then switched to an intermins Paltauf HPA-100 SP (Hybrid Amp, also able to drive Speakers) untill my individual HPA-100 (without Speakers option) was finalized. For all three I found the M17 sounding much better esp. with better imaging and soundstage, when connected via Balanced out (4,4mm -> RCA/ XLR) compared to the single ended outs of the M17.

Currently I am using this cable to connect the M17 to the XLR input of the Paltauf: https://ifi-audio.com/products/4-4mm-to-xlr-cable/, which is a termporary solution, untill my shielded custom built 4,4mm -> RCA and XLR cables arrive.
yeah unfortunately i didnt order my tube amp with the balance XLR option so until i get the preamp, single ended is the only way to go. I will try both the M17 3.5mm line out vs the Sony DMP-Z1 3.5mm headphone out directly to the ZMA tube amp to see. I will be adding dedicated preamp and DAC down the line as the $$$$ permits :)

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #5,043 of 5,693
@theElk

sorry for asking - why do you suggest to turn off the line out volume adjustment? Due to the intended connection of Speakers from @cukis350 ?
Only for ease of use. If you leave it on, there is a good chance you will reduce volume and with that lose resolution. Line out should always be used with maximum volume if you feed it to an amp if there is no obvious reason to reduce it (like nx7 line in high gain).

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #5,044 of 5,693
Has anyone discovered a way to keep the M17 output "awake"? It's frustrating that after a few seconds of nothing playing it shuts off the output and when you start playing something again it takes a couple seconds for it to come back on making an audio click/pop. Either I miss the first couple seconds of whatever is playing, or I have to play then pause and wait until I hear the click then start playing again. This, by far, is my biggest complaint with the M17 over the time I've owned it.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #5,045 of 5,693
Has anyone discovered a way to keep the M17 output "awake"? It's frustrating that after a few seconds of nothing playing it shuts off the output and when you start playing something again it takes a couple seconds for it to come back on making an audio click/pop. Either I miss the first couple seconds of whatever is playing, or I have to play then pause and wait until I hear the click then start playing again. This, by far, is my biggest complaint with the M17 over the time I've owned it.
Does it happen always or just line out?

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #5,047 of 5,693
Always. I think it's supposed to be a power and/or heat management feature by turning off the DAC or amp when it's not playing anything. I'll take reduced battery or higher heat if it means I can play audio instantly without the click sound and delay
you could install a temp monitoring app, and see if this happens at certain temperatures.

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #5,048 of 5,693
you could install a temp monitoring app, and see if this happens at certain temperatures.
It happens always. On the first song of the day when the device is room temperature. I'm positive it's not because of heat. What I said before about heat management was speculation on my part that it turns off the power-hungry internals to save battery and/or avoid producing unnecessary heat when plugged in, but I am positive that this behavior is not triggered by heat or high power draw because it always does it, no matter what. This behavior seems preventative, not remedial. Any time there's about 10 or so seconds of nothing playing... then when something starts playing, it takes a couple seconds and I can hear the internals click back on because it makes a sound in the headphones, every time.

From your responses, it sounds like yours does not exhibit this behavior?

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #5,049 of 5,693
It happens always. On the first song of the day when the device is room temperature. I'm positive it's not because of heat. What I said before about heat management was speculation on my part that it turns off the power-hungry internals to save battery and/or avoid producing unnecessary heat when plugged in, but I am positive that this behavior is not triggered by heat or high power draw because it always does it, no matter what. This behavior seems preventative, not remedial. Any time there's about 10 or so seconds of nothing playing... then when something starts playing, it takes a couple seconds and I can hear the internals click back on because it makes a sound in the headphones, every time.

no i have a m15, doesn't have that issue. Was planning on a m17 but between your issue (that seems bad enough) and the battery i've opted for another device (costier but muuuch more supported by the maker).
what player do you use?

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #5,050 of 5,693
Just to say, I'm joining the M17 club, and will be pairing it with my T+A Solitaire T in passive balanced mode for home use 😃🎧🎶
(Also great for wireless mode when at home, but my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra will be the main pairing when commuting and at work).

Will post more when it arrives with pics!

Also got a new SanDisk MicroSD XC Extreme 1Tb card ready too 😊

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #5,051 of 5,693
Just to say, I'm joining the M17 club, and will be pairing it with my T+A Solitaire T in passive balanced mode for home use 😃🎧🎶
(Also great for wireless mode when at home, but my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra will be the main pairing when commuting and at work).

Will post more when it arrives with pics!
I also use a M17, a Samsung Z Fold4 (similar to S21) and I intend to buy a T + A Solitaire T ..
As Samsung Smartphones will be limited to AAC codec in BT mode with Solitaire T, I am afraid the gap of sound quality between the S21 and the M17 will probably be too important.
When I switch in a direct comparison with my Z Fold4 between AAC <-> LDAC (using an android app "Bluetooth Codec switcher") there is a significant SQ difference.
Maybe it should be worth if you could try with the M17 to switch between AAC and LDAC to ear if sound quality is not too much impacted with the Solitaire T ... and even between passive Balanced Cable mode and BT AAC with the M17 ?

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #5,052 of 5,693
I remember that this thing was mentioned some pages before... As I remember FiiO said that this is normal behaviour (click/pop sound) because of internal amp saving device energy, and you can do nothing with that... My M17 act the same way. You can try to do factory reset in settings, don't know how, but it helped me a little with that click/pop sound not to occur so often now...or maybe it can even depend on device burn-in time....

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #5,053 of 5,693

I was the one who first reported this behaviour.
If idling for 24 seconds, you will hear a pop indicating Amp/DAC powering down. When playing a song againg after that, you will hear another pop indicating Amp/DAP powering on. This is normal behaviour.
Edit. Firmware updates may have extended or shortened the on-off timer

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #5,054 of 5,693
no i have a m15, doesn't have that issue. Was planning on a m17 but between your issue (that seems bad enough) and the battery i've opted for another device (costier but muuuch more supported by the maker).
what player do you use?
I am glad you have bough a device that meets your requirements.
After all your negative comments, most of us here are very disappointed that you are no longer in the market for a M17.
You are missing out in one of the bests, if not the best Amp/Dac in the market from a manufacturer well known and respected for its product support, and listening to its customers.
But hey, so long as you are happy,
Maybe when FiiO decides to implement a replaceble battery you will reconsider. In the meantime, enjoy your new gadget. 😉

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #5,055 of 5,693
I want to be able to pin UAPP on my M17. Is there a way to do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back