FiiO M15S Pocket Desktop-Level Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #843 of 890
And that's exactly what I prefer. Warmth, timbre/tonality, and realism - yet still articulate and a bit airy without throwing details in my face or becoming analytical. Add in some great dynamics and note weight. From what I've read, this seems to be what the M15s offers. I've also asked a few people if it's as bright as my M8, and my understanding is that it's slightly more reserved in the presence region. I don't require flagship, and I'm not willing to drop more than a grand on any piece of equipment.
I would stick to the M8. Ive had both and the M8 still egdes the M15s to my ears but very very slightly. The M8 is more dynamic, punchy and exctiting. The M15s has this amazing linearity, it doesnt favor any particular frequency (maybe the bass but very slightly). The M8 is more layered and warmish but with a better treble retrieval.
When you want a REAL upgrade to the m15s, go for a flagship AK dap- sp1000, 2000 or 3000 :)
I compared the m15s with the sp1000 and it took around 10 min to send the M15s back. It wasnt even close. I thought the M15s sounded marvelous (and it did) but the sp1000 is in entirely different league- deeper sound, more detailed, lively, with even deeper, more articulated and textured bass and cleaner, more airy and relistic trebles. The M15s sounded grayish in comparison.
AK flagships are on a different level when compared to other daps, at least for me. They are the most natural, realistic, detailed, clean, neutral but still engaging daps ive ever heard (ive had most IBasso daps, Fiio M11 ESS, M17, M15s, Shanling M7, M8, M9, one Cayin, 2 Hibys, Pioneer and some more).
TBH all of them sounded great but ive found the best insight and realism with AK daps. To evaluate sound quality, i used mostly 64 Audio u12t, Monarch 2 and Softears Twilight, so no one can accuse me of not having good enough iems:)

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #845 of 890
Does someone know how the built in EQ works? AFAIK when enabling an EQ the volume needs to be reduced to have enough headroom, so it won't clip. But when I enable the EQ on the M15S the volume stays the same?

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #846 of 890
Hello,
I have a problem with bluetooth audio in my car. The volume does not go up to 120 when connected, so I have to manually set it to 120. On my M11Pro it was automatically set to 120 when connecting to bluetooth, and went down to the last setting again after disconnecting.
Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #847 of 890
Does someone know how the built in EQ works? AFAIK when enabling an EQ the volume needs to be reduced to have enough headroom, so it won't clip. But when I enable the EQ on the M15S the volume stays the same?
I do not know how the M15S EQ settings look like, but generally when working with any EQ you set the "Pre-amplifier" or "Pre-Gain" to a negative value (equal to the highest positive value of your EQ settings) to avoid clipping in the digital domain.

Since a 16 bit PCM music file is just a sequence of numbers between -32768 and 32767 representing a waveform amplitude at a particular time (sample), when you boost your EQ by a few dB at some frequency, the EQ will calculate how much do you need to increase (or decrease) the amplitude in certain samples, so if you were close to the limit (32767) in some samples, then you cannot increase the number in that sample anymore, while neighbouring samples might have room for increase, leading to clipping, or in other words distorting your signal. To avoid this you apply a negative gain (reduce all the samples) to all the frequencies to make sure you always have enough room for increase.

So if you want to e.g. change 20 Hz by 3 dB, 2kHz by -6 dB and 14kHz by +8 dB, then you would want to set your pre-amp at -8 dB, since that would be enough to compensate even for the highest boost at 14 kHz. This will of course reduce the maximum volume by 8 dB as well.

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #848 of 890
Thank you for the very good explanation.
That was the reason I was asking: To be bit perfect, you don't want to reduce the preamp. And normally, when you switch on an EQ, you lower the preamp to avoid clipping. You can hear that, as the volume decreases. But when you switch on the eq of the M15S, the volume stays the same. I don't know how they handle it. Maybe they adjust the EQ dynamically, so when the waveform approaches clipping the eq will be reduced???

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #849 of 890
Hello,
I have a problem with bluetooth audio in my car. The volume does not go up to 120 when connected, so I have to manually set it to 120. On my M11Pro it was automatically set to 120 when connecting to bluetooth, and went down to the last setting again after disconnecting.
Ok, found the problem. When Volume adjusting mode is set to Volume Knob, it doesn't work. With Volume button it works. Should be fixable in a software update, as it is intelligent enough when the volume is set to 120 while bluetooth enabled, it will switch back to the old volume setting when disabling bluetooth and reminding you to turn back the volume. I don't know why it does not have the same behavior as with buttons.
I am just afraid that I will increase the volume to 120 BEFORE enabling bluetooth, because then it will stay there when disabling it again. And the next time I plug in my headphone I might get deaf...

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #850 of 890
Thank you for the very good explanation.
That was the reason I was asking: To be bit perfect, you don't want to reduce the preamp. And normally, when you switch on an EQ, you lower the preamp to avoid clipping. You can hear that, as the volume decreases. But when you switch on the eq of the M15S, the volume stays the same. I don't know how they handle it. Maybe they adjust the EQ dynamically, so when the waveform approaches clipping the eq will be reduced???
ok, found now the gain slider. You have to set gain yourself.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #851 of 890
Hello,
Dear friend,

The volume knob on the M15S have volume levels, and different positions correspond to different volumes, which can't be memorized.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #852 of 890
Dear friend,

The volume knob on the M15S have volume levels, and different positions correspond to different volumes, which can't be memorized.

Best regards
Hello,
thank you for your feedback.
But of course the volume levels can be memorized, as the analog setting is converted into digital and the unit sets the volume digitally. That is also what the unit does: Lets say the volume is at 20 before enabling bluetooth. After the connection is established I go to max volume 120. When bluetooth is disconnected again it automatically goes down to 20 again and puts a reminder on the screen to adjust the volume down again. So the system knows the settings.
What bothers is, that I have to manually set it to 120.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #854 of 890
Hey, is anyone having issues updating the Fiio music latest update on the M15s? I’ve tried to update it but it fails. Player has been restarted with no luck. @FiiO pls assist.
Are you updating it from the Google play store or within in the App Itself? As you should update from within the app

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back