FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Nov 15, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #3,316 of 4,083
Is Toneboosters still the best peq or is there one with more bands?

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #3,317 of 4,083
When going usb out from M15, no output format is being displayed at top. MQA doesn’t come up at top of display in Tidal like if I use phone out without usb
Dear friend,

The sample rates display function is only available when playing music locally, and it does not work for the USB DAC, Bluetooth, USB Audio modes.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 19, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #3,318 of 4,083
Wanted to play DSD 512 files on a FIIO m15 using a MAC and a Denafrips DAC. Seems like it can’t be done. What a bummer. Would have been nice if Fiio had been more up front about this!

Nov 23, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #3,319 of 4,083
Hi all.

I have recently upgraded from the M11 Pro to the M15 and couldn't be more happier.

I'm wondering what types of headphones people are pairing with them as I want to try something different. I would prefer closed back so I can use them when Im in the office and also wired isn't an issue.

Hopefully having the monster M15 will mean I don't need an amp.

Im thinking maybe some planar ones but don't know where to start.

I currently using my Momentums 3 for commutes but I'm looking to replace them with a wired headset that has a nice rumble/deep base/ possible Anc.

Music I listen to is mostly hip hop / jazz / classical but I like to hear sub/deep bass.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #3,320 of 4,083
Hi all.

I have recently upgraded from the M11 Pro to the M15 and couldn't be more happier.

I'm wondering what types of headphones people are pairing with them as I want to try something different. I would prefer closed back so I can use them when Im in the office and also wired isn't an issue.

I currently using my Momentums 3 for commutes but I'm looking to replace them with a wired headset that has a nice rumble/deep base/ possible Anc.

Music I listen to is mostly hip hop / jazz / classical but I like to hear sub/deep bass.

Any suggestions?
What price range are you looking at?
As the cheapest solution you can try your Momentum 3 wired from M15, if you have not done it yet. That is a closed back with deep bass with surpising changes compared to the wireless sound.
Meze Classic. Aeon Closed. LCD2 closed. Sony MDR-Z1R. LCD-XC, Denon D9200. Focal Stellia. No limit.

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #3,322 of 4,083
Have you guys seen that post from James?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3512508405523870&set=a.108693789238699&type=3

FiiO’s Next Plan for Players

2020 is going to end. We hope it will also be the end of the disaster. Recently, many users have been asking if there is any update plan for our players. Here I would like to give a reply, so that you can make purchase decisions according to your needs.

1. FiiO's product line of mid-to-high-end players
In the past two years, we have made a plan starting with the M11 for 3 mid-to-high-end players, the M11, M11Pro and M15, all of which were based on the same platform- a 5.15-inch screen + Exynos7872 + 3G RAM + 32G/64G Flash. Because these components were discontinued at the end of 2019, we have correspondingly completed the purchase order according to our estimated sales volume. However, due to their excellent performance, the actual sales volume has exceeded our expectation, which means these models will be sold out in 2020. (“Out of stock” means the stock of our factory, while our sales agents may still have inventory).

Our future mid-to-high-end players will change the processor platform. But due to a fire in the AKM factory resulting in the supply of the AK4497/AK4499 we originally planned to use encountered problems, the models that are about to be developed have to urgently replace the DAC solution. Therefore, except for a new 4497-based model that would be released in limited quantities in 3 months, other player models will be delayed until after the summer of 2021.

Taking into account the actual performance of the M11, M11Pro and M15 and the actual experience of the 7872-based platform, I personally suggest that you can just get it if you need it. Because the successors of the M11, M11Pro and M15 would all be based on a better platform without major changes in audio configurations. But if you have a preference for ESS chips, you might as well consider it later.

2. Mid-end models
Now it is the mid-end models, i.e. the M6, M7 and M9 based on Samsung Exynos7270. The M9 has been discontinued for a long time; the M7 is selling inventory; the M6 is producing the last batch. So it is estimated that in half a year, our mid-end players will be sold out. As for their successors, we are currently not planning and conducting any new research and development due to two reasons.

1) There are no appropriate processors. At present, there are fewer and fewer processors available for digital products. It is impossible to find qualified processors with appropriate cost, volume, power consumption and performance.

2) Nowadays, Bluetooth amps or little tail DAC/Amps equipped with smartphones have become a portable HIFI solution for many people. If mid-end players want to be outstanding in music experience, it may at least be equipped with Qualcomm 425 + 3G RAM + 32G Flash to meet users’ requirements. But in this case, the cost space for the audio part will be minimal. Even if we made it, it may not be as good as a Bluetooth amp or a little tail DAC/Amp, and cannot compete with mobile phones in terms of its music experience.

Therefore, mid-end players really live in a dilemma. Actual sales data also reflect this trend.

3. Low-end models

As for low-end models, the M3K, M3PRO, and M5 based on Ingenic X1000, the cost of them are very tense, whose performance mainly depends on cost control rather than technology. Therefore, we will not make any renewal plans under limited conditions. If there are demands in the market, we will continue the production. Otherwise, we will stop.

This is all the basic situations. As a manufacturer, we will also make efforts in other product types to make better promotions and sales. Survival and development will not be a problem, and difficult days will finally go to an end. If you are interested in our products, you can choose our existing products, wait for our later products, or turn to other brands. One way or another, your needs go first. Thank you very much for your attention and care for FiiO. We will keep on doing what we should do.

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #3,323 of 4,083
Hi all.

Any suggestions?

I've recently picked up an M15 and it pairs well with my Campfire Audio Cascades. Great bottom end and better overall tonality than with my M11 Pro or Kann Cube.

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #3,324 of 4,083
I've recently picked up an M15 and it pairs well with my Campfire Audio Cascades. Great bottom end and better overall tonality than with my M11 Pro or Kann Cube.

I want an M15 - I like the Fiio sound (currently M11). Goes well with the my current IEMs (XBA-Z5s) and I reckon it'll be even better with the M15. Plus the additional power will always be good for flexibility! So thanks for the above @DarginMahkum - I can hunt one in the new year without FOMO!

The only thing which I'd be intrigued about is the version of Android they'll have on the new players and the potential future proofing. It is still a consideration. We have no real idea on the current generation.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #3,325 of 4,083
Hi all.

Any suggestions?
The: demon 9200, foster th900, campfire cascades are all ones that I think are great with the M15, I haven’t tried any closed planars myself but the LCD-X and the Diana are good so I assume others are nice as well

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #3,326 of 4,083
Have you guys seen that post from James?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3512508405523870&set=a.108693789238699&type=3

FiiO’s Next Plan for Players

2020 is going to end. We hope it will also be the end of the disaster. Recently, many users have been asking if there is any update plan for our players. Here I would like to give a reply, so that you can make purchase decisions according to your needs.

1. FiiO's product line of mid-to-high-end players
In the past two years, we have made a plan starting with the M11 for 3 mid-to-high-end players, the M11, M11Pro and M15, all of which were based on the same platform- a 5.15-inch screen + Exynos7872 + 3G RAM + 32G/64G Flash. Because these components were discontinued at the end of 2019, we have correspondingly completed the purchase order according to our estimated sales volume. However, due to their excellent performance, the actual sales volume has exceeded our expectation, which means these models will be sold out in 2020. (“Out of stock” means the stock of our factory, while our sales agents may still have inventory).

Our future mid-to-high-end players will change the processor platform. But due to a fire in the AKM factory resulting in the supply of the AK4497/AK4499 we originally planned to use encountered problems, the models that are about to be developed have to urgently replace the DAC solution. Therefore, except for a new 4497-based model that would be released in limited quantities in 3 months, other player models will be delayed until after the summer of 2021.

Taking into account the actual performance of the M11, M11Pro and M15 and the actual experience of the 7872-based platform, I personally suggest that you can just get it if you need it. Because the successors of the M11, M11Pro and M15 would all be based on a better platform without major changes in audio configurations. But if you have a preference for ESS chips, you might as well consider it later.

2. Mid-end models
Now it is the mid-end models, i.e. the M6, M7 and M9 based on Samsung Exynos7270. The M9 has been discontinued for a long time; the M7 is selling inventory; the M6 is producing the last batch. So it is estimated that in half a year, our mid-end players will be sold out. As for their successors, we are currently not planning and conducting any new research and development due to two reasons.

1) There are no appropriate processors. At present, there are fewer and fewer processors available for digital products. It is impossible to find qualified processors with appropriate cost, volume, power consumption and performance.

2) Nowadays, Bluetooth amps or little tail DAC/Amps equipped with smartphones have become a portable HIFI solution for many people. If mid-end players want to be outstanding in music experience, it may at least be equipped with Qualcomm 425 + 3G RAM + 32G Flash to meet users’ requirements. But in this case, the cost space for the audio part will be minimal. Even if we made it, it may not be as good as a Bluetooth amp or a little tail DAC/Amp, and cannot compete with mobile phones in terms of its music experience.

Therefore, mid-end players really live in a dilemma. Actual sales data also reflect this trend.

3. Low-end models

As for low-end models, the M3K, M3PRO, and M5 based on Ingenic X1000, the cost of them are very tense, whose performance mainly depends on cost control rather than technology. Therefore, we will not make any renewal plans under limited conditions. If there are demands in the market, we will continue the production. Otherwise, we will stop.

This is all the basic situations. As a manufacturer, we will also make efforts in other product types to make better promotions and sales. Survival and development will not be a problem, and difficult days will finally go to an end. If you are interested in our products, you can choose our existing products, wait for our later products, or turn to other brands. One way or another, your needs go first. Thank you very much for your attention and care for FiiO. We will keep on doing what we should do.

I love these posts, even when it’s bad news I like to know the direction a company is going. Seems like realistic statements as well

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #3,327 of 4,083
What price range are you looking at?
As the cheapest solution you can try your Momentum 3 wired from M15, if you have not done it yet. That is a closed back with deep bass with surpising changes compared to the wireless sound.
Meze Classic. Aeon Closed. LCD2 closed. Sony MDR-Z1R. LCD-XC, Denon D9200. Focal Stellia. No limit.

Hi, thanks for responding.

Im currently using the Momentums wired as they pair well but as I said, I want a new toy :) preferably a bassier can.

In terms of pricing, I'm at 500-1000GBP range.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #3,328 of 4,083
The: demon 9200, foster th900, campfire cascades are all ones that I think are great with the M15, I haven’t tried any closed planars myself but the LCD-X and the Diana are good so I assume others are nice as well

Currently looking at the Campfire, they seem to hit the nail on the head.

Any idea what they're like when commuting, I.E noise isolation/leakage?

I'm curious though, will there be a new version any time soon as they slightly dated now?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #3,329 of 4,083
I want an M15 - I like the Fiio sound (currently M11). Goes well with the my current IEMs (XBA-Z5s) and I reckon it'll be even better with the M15. Plus the additional power will always be good for flexibility! So thanks for the above @DarginMahkum - I can hunt one in the new year without FOMO!

The only thing which I'd be intrigued about is the version of Android they'll have on the new players and the potential future proofing. It is still a consideration. We have no real idea on the current generation.

I would recommend the M15, I have owned and used the M11 & the M11 Pro and I can confidently say the M15 blows them out the water.

The M15 has a superior sound and for bigger cans you wont need an amp.

In terms of the Android version, its the same one as the M11 so there shouldn't be any issues.

I've got everything installed on it apart from Android Auto, which hopefully wont be too long until someone cracks that.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #3,330 of 4,083
Currently looking at the Campfire, they seem to hit the nail on the head.

Any idea what they're like when commuting, I.E noise isolation/leakage?

I'm curious though, will there be a new version any time soon as they slightly dated now?

The cascade had a slight revision this year, I think it was just an update to the headband, but I’m still happy with mine after using them for a few years.
The isolation is okay but not as good as noise canceling headphones. There is no sound leakage, I use them on the bus everyday during my commute.
I mainly use the stick pads I’m not sure if there is any difference with the XL pads. The cloth pads have poor isolation but are a nice change at home sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back