FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Dec 3, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #3,346 of 4,083
Help!

I'm using DB PowerAmp CD ripper, but can't work out to rip a MQA CD?
Can someone assist me with a 'MQA CD ripping for Dummies' hand hold?

I can get the software to do 16 bit but not sure how to get the 24 bit rip...

Thanks in advance...
I use dbpoweramp also. I have not tried to rip a MQA cd. If you are ripping to .flac I am pretty sure that won't work. Try ripping to .wave maybe.

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #3,347 of 4,083
Managed to finally work it out with two solutions:

The first one is from the MQA website... www.mqa.co.uk
There is a Windows and MAC bit of software, not the most intuitive, called MQA Tag Restorer. You can then drag your files into the a little pop up box, press enter and the tag of the track will be relabelled. When you view the album files in the 'ripped folder' the data tag information will show 16 bit 44 kHz on your PC/MAC, but when it's on your FIIO it is recognised as MQA recordings.

Second solution:
When you use the DB Poweramp CD Ripper, before you press the 'RiP' button, look at the options in the bottom left hand corner... you will see three options side-on, DSP, Decoder and Tags. Choose the DSP tab:
The box will give you the option when you left click on the title tab to Add DSP/Action. There will appear a sub-menu. Choose 'Add DSP effect'. A long menu will then appear. On my version (17.2) it was the 5th option 'Choose bit depth'. So I choose 24 bit. If you want a different Sample Rate, then you will have to choose the 'Resample' option*; (*that may be a quantum leap on my part). You can then continue with your Flac rip.

Happy to hear from anyone else on this issue.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #3,350 of 4,083
The M15 pushes the Heddphone surprisingly well in balanced output. You have to turn it really high though, but the Heddphone sounds surprisingly good on the M15. Nothing like the iFi iDSD Signature. That makes the Heddphone sing, especially with Xbass and 3D on.

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #3,353 of 4,083
I made a few tests with Fiio M15 and IFI BL:
- From a desktop computer with audiophile grade usb out on the motherboard, source Tidal MQA files,Sony MDR Z7 headphones, single ended on IFI, balanced out from Fiio, same Fiio LC 4.4C cable on headphone and with a Fiio adaptor for BL to SE - Ifi sounds better than Fiio, a bigger soundstage and overall a more enjoyable sound, full, with a very deep bass and clarity without harshness. Fiio sounds ok across all frequency range, it is an enjoyable sound but the difference is obvious.
- Fiio as a player on usb out with UAPP player MQA files Tidal, bit perfect mode feeding IFI (led was mangenta ), same MDR Z7 , SE from IFI, BL 4,4 from Fiio - IFI sounds a bit better than Fiio, bigger soundstage and clarity but the difference was not so obvious as before

Then i thought that the main purpose of Fiio is portability, IFI is only transportable but will never fit in a pocket paired with a player or a phone, so instead of MDR Z7 i played the same tracks as before but listening from Fiio FH5 iem and wow ! Fh 5 sounded way better from Fiio than from IFI, very deep lows , very good mids and clarity. Fh5 has a Fiio LC 4.4b balanced cable and the same adaptor for BL to SE. FH 5 from IFI sounded thinner, bass was not so deep as from M15 and the highs were a little too much for my taste. The difference was really big, M15 is better in all aspects than IFI paired with FH5 iems.
First i thought that i did something wrong and repeated the tests,but i obtained the same results, so nothing was wrong.

I guess that the bigger power of IFI makes the difference with MDR Z7 and it will be the desktop solution, while for portability M15 with FH5 is the best sounding solution for me. Let's not forget that M15 is a DAP, it fits easy in every pocket and you don't need anything else while traveling.
In all the other aspects M15 is a very pleasant experience, it has a friendly and fast UI, no glitches so far and a very elegant aspect. I use mainly UAPP in pure mode from Tidal and Neutron for playing files from card, also in my car as a internet player and I enjoy it very much.
Good job Fiio and also hats down for IFi.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #3,354 of 4,083
Quick question - I am about to purchase a Topping A90 - is it possible to hook up my M15 to my PC via USB => USB DAC mode => 4.4mm to dual XLR cable from the Fiio to the A90 => balanced 4.4 cable to my Aryas.

Does that setup work, ergo, can I use my M15 as a dac only and have it run through the A90 amp afterwards? Looking forward to your answers!

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #3,355 of 4,083
Yes, why wouldn't it be possible? I did it via 3.5mm line out of m15 to RCA line in input of a90. Then plugged the headphones to 4.4mm socket but this is not true balanced of course.
M15 was in dap mode but shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #3,356 of 4,083
Yes, why wouldn't it be possible? I did it via 3.5mm line out of m15 to RCA line in input of a90. Then plugged the headphones to 4.4mm socket but this is not true balanced of course.
M15 was in dap mode but shouldn't matter.

And if I use the 4.4 output into the dual xlr and use the 4.4 on the A90 - the signals should be fully balanced right? Thanks for answering btw!

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #3,357 of 4,083
And if I use the 4.4 output into the dual xlr and use the 4.4 on the A90 - the signals should be fully balanced right? Thanks for answering btw!

If your adapter doesn't have a 5th connection to ground on the 4.4mm end, you may get ground loop noise when your M15 is connected to power. However, if your A90 can be configured for 2 pin XLR instead of 3, you won't need the ground.

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #3,358 of 4,083
If your adapter doesn't have a 5th connection to ground on the 4.4mm end, you may get ground loop noise when your M15 is connected to power. However, if your A90 can be configured for 2 pin XLR instead of 3, you won't need the ground.

If my M15 is connected to my pc via USB cable (it'll be on USB DAC mode) will that cause the ground loop as well? There is a "no charging" option that essentially lets it run from its own internal battery, would that help at all? Am quite the noob when it comes to this 🥳

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #3,359 of 4,083
If my M15 is connected to my pc via USB cable (it'll be on USB DAC mode) will that cause the ground loop as well? There is a "no charging" option that essentially lets it run from its own internal battery, would that help at all? Am quite the noob when it comes to this 🥳

It will depend on your power source from the PC. Ground loops can be a pain to trouble shoot. If your connected devices are on different ground planes, then the noise tends to flow to the lowest ground threshold which causes that hum and static. It's always good to assume you need ground. That is why XLR cables use 3 pins.

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #3,360 of 4,083
m15 is very good as a dac and dap, but it has good internal amp, do you really need a90? For which headphones? I purchased an aune s8 dac with balanced output, goes very well with a90 even though it doesn't support mqa. If your headphones demand power and don't want to worry about ground loops, maybe you should try a dedicated dac. A good alternative would also be to sell a90 an buy the newest ifi idsd signature, people here say it is better than m15, I think of doing this, easier to use with less cable drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back