FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #3,061 of 4,083
But what's the point of using a balanced cable over such an incredibly short distance? Weren't they designed to solve interference problems over long speaker/microphone cable runs?
I think it’s because a lot of users have their cables terminated in 4.4mm. I think I only have a few 3.5mm cables. Most are 4.4mm.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,062 of 4,083
But what's the point of using a balanced cable over such an incredibly short distance? Weren't they designed to solve interference problems over long speaker/microphone cable runs?
I’d agree that there’s limited sonic benefit for easy to drive IEM, but like @kdphan said there’s a convenience factor. All my IEMs and even full-size cans are terminated in 4.4mm and I’d prefer to avoid adapters if possible. Same reason I mentioned USB C as well. Everything else I have (except my iPhone of course) uses USB C, so it’s nice for convenience and not needing multiple cables.

Secondary factor is power since most amps/DAPs have 2x the output power on balanced. Even with the M15 on high gain and over ear mode and balanced output I don’t think it drives my LCD-3 to their fullest (dynamic range, soundstage and imaging are a little compressed vs. using my desktop amp).Having something transportable and more powerful would have a use case for me.

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #3,063 of 4,083
@AudioBomb & @iFi audio

I'll offer a slightly different take on this as I own both and use both the M15 and Black label micro on a regular basis. Overall I can see where Audiobomb is coming from in his evaluation of the pair however to my ears and for my purposes I'd say that yes the M15 probably does have better resolution in terms of the presentation of detail. For me though the M15 doesn't sound as deep and full and as the Micro black label, there is a certain warmth to the presentation of the Black label that the M15 can't match. That's a personal thing for me though, it's a signature I like.

There is another aspect to consider and that is of course that these are totally different devices that for me serve different purposes in the way I use them. Is the M15 worth double the money of the Micro Black Label? I'd say for all the features that you get with this DAP and it's level of detail in terms of sound quality then yes I suppose it is but it doesn't sound £600 better and I suppose this is where the diminishing returns begin to feature.

Thanks. Just as any of our DACs, micro iDSD BL was designed to lean towards musical tissue more than resolution. It's safe to say that that's our approach in general regardless of a product. So I understand what @AudioBomb wanted to say and that's OK.

There are many advantages of balanced designs in audio products, but as per usual it all comes down to how a given audio device is engineered.

night and day.

The 'night and day' expression is in general a bit overused :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 30, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #3,065 of 4,083
Just ordered the M15- looking forward to its arrival and a good evaluation and serious decision as to its becoming my flagship model.
I already own the following-Shanling M5, Lotoo 500 MK2, AK 120II, Hiby R6Pro, Ibasso DX 220, Cayin N6ii, Cowon Plenue 2 mk2,

As I always....second guessing myself and wondering if I should have went with the Lotoo 6000, both are priced around $ 1,200 USD.

I went with the FiiO because it has streaming capabilities and I already have a lotoo 5000 mk2 in my collection--which I love
and nothing from Fiio.
I can always return the M 15 and get the Lotoo 6000 later if I am unsatisfied....just wanted to get any opinions of other members---

Looking at all the latest and greatest--Hiby R8 and ibasso DX 220 max are simply to big--great for home--too much for me.
The Cayin N8 and Lotoo Paw Gold--too expensive---too much---afraid I will break lol.

After really thinking about it I am down to the Fiio M15 and the Lotoo 6000-----
just wanted other members input--and I know its all subjective and personal tastes--but
this is the place with the most knowledgeable and best opinionated folks around---😎

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #3,067 of 4,083
Just ordered the M15- looking forward to its arrival and a good evaluation and serious decision as to its becoming my flagship model.
I already own the following-Shanling M5, Lotoo 500 MK2, AK 120II, Hiby R6Pro, Ibasso DX 220, Cayin N6ii, Cowon Plenue 2 mk2,

As I always....second guessing myself and wondering if I should have went with the Lotoo 6000, both are priced around $ 1,200 USD.

I went with the FiiO because it has streaming capabilities and I already have a lotoo 5000 mk2 in my collection--which I love
and nothing from Fiio.
I can always return the M 15 and get the Lotoo 6000 later if I am unsatisfied....just wanted to get any opinions of other members---

Looking at all the latest and greatest--Hiby R8 and ibasso DX 220 max are simply to big--great for home--too much for me.
The Cayin N8 and Lotoo Paw Gold--too expensive---too much---afraid I will break lol.

After really thinking about it I am down to the Fiio M15 and the Lotoo 6000-----
just wanted other members input--and I know its all subjective and personal tastes--but
this is the place with the most knowledgeable and best opinionated folks around---😎
I will be interested to hear what your impressions are.

I looked at the LPGT and N8 but the cost is so much higher, and I felt that I would be replacing them in a few years anyway.

The M15 was simply in a good price spot for me while also offering all the features I wanted with the power for all my headphones. I compared it to the DX209 and my Mojo and liked it more so that sold it for me.

The Max is waaayy bigger but the R8 doesn’t really look that much larger, but I hate the volume on the opposite side from the headphone jacks! I don’t even like players that have them on the side...

let us know what you think! Even if you don’t like it

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #3,069 of 4,083
Hey guys,

Question:

When I play the album S&M2 (random album, not particular to the question, this happens with more albums) from Tidal via UAPP I see the following (see picture as well)

at the top of my screen it says MQA48k
then below it says: Direct: 384KHz - MQA Flac: 48khz 24bit 1652kbps

So ... what am I hearing? At the top it says 48k, below it says: direct 384, but then again flac 48k.

Am I hearing Direct or am I hearing what's at the top? Hope someone knows, thanks!

PS: When I play Grieg - Suite "From Holberg's Time" by Trondheimsolistene - I see MQA 352.8k at the top of my screen, AND at the 'Direct' section AND behind the FLAC: section. Hence my confusion

Attachments

• UAPP.jpg
    UAPP.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back