FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
May 1, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #2,072 of 4,083
The 4.4mm jack on my M15 has stopped working. I get silence when I plug my headphones into it, but the 3.5 and 2.5 both work fine.
I have tried different headphones and different cables with the 4.4

Anyone have any idea? Or probably just a hardware failure? I’ve been trying to contact fiio or my dealer but haven’t heard back.

@FiiO is support@fiio.com the right email?

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #2,073 of 4,083
The 4.4mm jack on my M15 has stopped working. I get silence when I plug my headphones into it, but the 3.5 and 2.5 both work fine.
I have tried different headphones and different cables with the 4.4

Anyone have any idea? Or probably just a hardware failure? I’ve been trying to contact fiio or my dealer but haven’t heard back this month
Maybe I'll buy the 4 year extended warranty now that I read this. Sorry for your loss :c

May 1, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #2,075 of 4,083
The Story About FiiO M15----From James (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-about-fiio-m15-from-james.930661/)

Part II Design Goals

As the flagship model, the M15 has integrated all of our understandings of consumers and all experience of products in the audio field. Frankly speaking, we have not considered too much about how many units can be sold and how much money can be made. The following writhing would be divided into several sections introducing some of our design goals when we were making the M15 plan.
1. Extreme sound quality
The M15 is undoubtedly a flagship. Our goal is to achieve the best possible sound quality under the constraints of the size, weight, heat, and battery life of portable products. Normally, FiiO has a cost budget for each product. But for the M15, there is no cost restriction. Everything is based on sound quality. About the sound quality, details would be explained later.
2. Suitable for different scenarios
In addition to keeping the convenience brought by the battery of a portable player, we expect that the M15 can be used in more situations as it can. Therefore, our goal is to create a product suitable for multi-scenarios. The following is some of the main usage scenario introduction based on our own experience and user needs.
2.1 Easy to carry it with you wherever
Thanks to the joint efforts of ID, architecture, and electronic engineers, the M15 maintains a reasonable weight (about 300 grams), relatively good size (compared to other high-driven-capacity products), longer battery life (15 hours for single-ended). Therefore, it would be very convenient to carry it with you everywhere, such as business trip, travel, commute or school.
2.2 In-vehicle mode
Since we began to enter the player field, many users have purchased our products and used them in cars which have worse sound quality and format support. The M15 is designed with an in-vehicle mode, so users can power it with an on-board power supply, connecting it by the LO port with the car’s AUX input port. In this way, when the car is fired up, the M15 will automatically start and play the last song; when the car is off, it will automatically shut down to avoid battery exhaustion.
2.3 Listening music with M15 in the living room
In this scenario, the M15 can be used as a sound source for the HIFI system, or as a high-quality decoder, or as a HIFI Bluetooth receiver. And more convenient is that it supports FiiO link, so you can remote it thorough your mobile phone.
2.4 Use it in desk tops
In this scenario, it is more suitable for over-ear headphones considering the sound quality, i.e., it can be connected to a computer, using as a USB DAC amplifier. But it can also be independently used.
3. Full functions
This means that the M15 can achieve native playback, streaming playback, USB decoding and Bluetooth reception. Plus the Android-based system allows third-party application installation. It turns out the M15 comes with comprehensive functions.
Basically, the M15 has realized all the functions that can be done on portable players. For the rest, I am not sure whether it is a function that a portable player should have, such as sound tracks grab, 4G internet access. After all, it is a player, which should focus on players' commonly recognized functions.
In short, I think the M15 is qualified as a full-function player.
4. Multi-connections
As a product designed for audiophiles, it is very important to have complete connectors to facilitate users to expand the use of the product and enhance its playability. This is completely different from the simplicity pursuit in mass consumer electronics. It can even be conceivable that within 2 years at the latest, there will be mobile phones without connectors showing up in the market.
Therefore, we have fully considered the M15's connection capabilities, and tried our best to complete it. Here is a brief introduction.
4.1 Wireless connection
M15's wireless and wired connection capability is the strongest among all players.
Wireless connectivity capabilities include:
1) 2.4G / 5G WiFi connection, supporting DLNA, Airplay, streaming playing, WiFi song transfer;
2) The most complete Bluetooth transmitter and receiver, supporting LDAC, SBC, aptX, aptX HD, HWA (LHDC) transmission, and LDAC , SBC, aptX, aptX HD reception.
4.2 Wired connection
The M15 has a wide range of connectors, which is one of the portable players that has the most complete connectors, supporting 2.5mm balanced, 3.5mm single-ended, and 4.4mm balanced output for the analog headphone-output, 3.5mm single-ended for the line-out and 3.5mm SPDIF, TYPE C USB digital audio input and output.
5. Full driven capacity: adaptable to varieties of headphones
The M15 is mainly used with headphones. Therefore, we hope that it can be used with as many headphones as possible in all aspects and avoid bias. So there can be less worries about matching.
In our own opinion, this full driven capacity must be considered from several aspects.
5.1 Easy matching tone
The tone of the M15 has characteristics of high density, high resolution and high transparency. Besides, the whole tone is neutral and warm, so it is suitable for different styles of headphones, and has good adaptability to dynamic driver, balanced armature and hybrid headphones.
5.2 Have sufficient output power
The M15 is designed with a large output power. In addition to easily driving all IEMs, it is also featured with the over-ear mode. Under this mode, the internal amp power supply circuit will switch to a higher power supply voltage, which can also drive most high-impedance or low-sensitivity over-the-ear headphones.
5.3 Flexible connectors
The M15 has three output ports: 3.5 single-ended, 2.5 balanced, and 4.4 balanced. Except for rarely-seen headphones with XLR balanced and 6.3 single-ended, it can be easily matched with various headphone plugs.
Why do Chinese players commonly have the feature of strong driven capacity?
Since entering the post-MP3 era, Chinese players have been popular to the present. A very important reason is that they are generally strong in the aspect of driven capacity.
Many people say that it does not need such a large power to drive earplugs. However, the truth is that many IEMs with low sensitivity and high impedance cannot be driven successfully without sufficient driven power. From our market reviews of the M15, many users buy it to match with Sony’s Z1R earplugs which need a rather high driven power.
What’s more, many audiophiles would choose headphones with better sound quality when working or studying in indoor environments, like at home or in the office. And over-the-ear headphones have a higher requirement on the output power of players.
DSC_6232.jpg
This is great. Another important step to take is to step up the support and warranty service, particularly for those in the West. Something holding me back in purchasing a flagship level dap is that warranty rarely seems to extend beyond a year, and there seems to be poor support for in or out-of-warranty units, especially within the UK/Europe.

May 2, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #2,077 of 4,083
Are there any other leather cases other than the official Fiio case? I am not a fan of the gold on the back of the official case.

May 3, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #2,079 of 4,083
Just ordered one of these...…...Jim
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086X1YJL...colid=RXZOGHNEB97H&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

1588521501196.png

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #2,080 of 4,083
Maybe I'll buy the 4 year extended warranty now that I read this. Sorry for your loss :c
I am hoping that all issues occur within one year... I normally find that issues crop up in the first few months and then everything works for years.
I’m also hoping that the lack of response is because of Covid and not a indication of normal process, my dealer has greatly reduced hours so I am assuming they are on skeletal staffing as well.

May 3, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2,081 of 4,083
I am hoping that all issues occur within one year... I normally find that issues crop up in the first few months and then everything works for years.
I’m also hoping that the lack of response is because of Covid and not a indication of normal process, my dealer has greatly reduced hours so I am assuming they are on skeletal staffing as well.
Where did you get yours?

May 3, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2,083 of 4,083
At http://electronicsforless.ca/ they have one of the largest selections of Fiio products that I know in Canada and previously they have had good customer support for me... I guess we will see if that has changed.
This is where I got mine, I'm currently waiting- been a month or so.
The rep told me that they're sending new ones out on Monday (hopefully).

Yeah their cx support is amazing so far, have you tried calling in or emailing? They're pretty quick on what is going on.
Their extended warranty with Comerco is what I'm concerned about as lots of bad reviews online.
Edit: Comero > Comerco.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #2,084 of 4,083
This is where I got mine, I'm currently waiting- been a month or so.
The rep told me that they're sending new ones out on Monday (hopefully).

Yeah their cx support is amazing so far, have you tried calling in or emailing? They're pretty quick on what is going on.
Their extended warranty with Comerco is what I'm concerned about as lots of bad reviews online.
Edit: Comero > Comerco.
So far I’ve sent them a few emails, I’m going to be calling them tomorrow since they are not open on the weekends.
I didn’t actually see the option for extended warrant when I ordered my player so can’t make any comment on that.

May 3, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #2,085 of 4,083
So far I’ve sent them a few emails, I’m going to be calling them tomorrow since they are not open on the weekends.
I didn’t actually see the option for extended warrant when I ordered my player so can’t make any comment on that.
Yeah I had to ask if there was one available when I was not prompt for it online either.
To get a brochure of what they cover/ their terms of service, you'd have to give Comerco an email. https://www.electronicsforless.ca/helpdesk/215118-Comerco-Extended-Service-Plan
I got mine but based on what I read it seems like standard TOS you'd get with any extended warranty with Best Buy or Staples. (I used to be an employee at Best Buy and know the TOS pretty well).
The rep, Josh, stated "available at 3 years for $199 or 2 years for $149."
This comes into play AFTER the manufacturer's warranty. So for $199.99 you get a total of 4 years of protection.

Issues:
  1. Comerco may, at its sole discretion, decide to replace a product rather than repair it. (In conjunction with point 2)
  2. Please note that, if the price of the replacement product is less than the price of the original product, the difference will not be refunded. (SUPER sketch as they can replace it with ANY random DAP. There is no detail on guaranteeing that they will try to replace your item w/ spec for spec.)
  3. Repair or replace peripheral items such as a remote control, keyboard, mouse, speakers, 3D viewing glasses and/or external hard drives given with the product, if a covered failure occurs. The coverage period for peripheral items begins at the expiration of the manufacturer’s warranty for this accessory and expires at the end of the Protection Plan’s period of coverage. Replacement will be limited to one (1) for the length of the Plan. The replacement will terminate the coverage offered for these items. (So if your cable ends up dying out, can't replace every time it happens. Only Once. Kind of annoying)

Best Buy's replacement warranty gives the consumer a replacement item that is similar in spec or if they cannot find it, the full money back (what we paid for) if they cannot fix it.
This is why I'm on the fence about it, I mean $66.67 per year for 3 years isn't too terrible considering $2000.00 DAP but all the parts+labour inside will end up costing more than the DAP itself.

Decisions, decisions...

edit: added my issues with Comerco's TOS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back