FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Mar 7, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #1,638 of 4,083
Notification about Consumer Communication Activity

Distinguished FiiO users,

In order to better promote our service and user experience, we are planning to conduct a consumer activity in
FiiO-philes club
Members of FiiO Product Council and project managers would be invited to attend this activity. If you have any suggestion or question, please let us know. We would sincerely give a reply in time.

Time: 9 p.m.-11 p.m., 7 March 2020 (Beijing Time)

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 7, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #1,639 of 4,083
I am loving this Zoo forum:beerchug:
Are you interested in the M15 or are you here to disturb? Which new dap you going to get ? Bet you are bored with your jewel.

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,640 of 4,083
I'm sure it will come now google play is official.

Actually, these whole discussions make me ask one question: If Neutron and UAPP don't have native direct access to the audio subsystem, how come the streaming services are? For me direct access would mean direct ALSA access bypassing any audio service wrapper around it. But apparently it is possible to change the "native bitrate" of the Android audio subsystem and still avoid any software resampling. Maybe it is an implementation FiiO did, I don't know.

I think we can be sure that the FiiO music player application would be doing the most transparent access to the DACs, not modifying anything in the audio stream on the software level (especially for DSD, because that would mean DSD to PCM conversion and applying the EQ on top). I suspect all those "other music player applications sound better than the FiiO music player" is because of the audio sounding "different" (rather than better) due to the resampling or any other processing applied to the audio.

Otherwise I cannot think of any logical reason two different music playing applications sounding different, although both of them are doing exactly the same thing: Pushing the same bit-stream to the same DACs. Or maybe FiiO defined their own kernel calls (ioctl()s) to modify the DAC characteristics, and these calls are being used by the FiiO music player application but not the other 3rd party music players. But I think this is a very unlikely scenario, and I could not hear a difference between Qobuz application playing the same music data as the FiiO music player application.

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #1,641 of 4,083
Are you interested in the M15 or are you here to disturb? Which new dap you going to get ? Bet you are bored with your jewel.
Just to disturb, I learn it from you :dt880smile: :relaxed:, my jewel is the best dap i ever had, so take your conclusions, but of course I believe that the M15 is a great Dap too, I don't need to say wrong things about one stuff to valorize mine

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #1,642 of 4,083
Just to disturb, I learn it from you :dt880smile: :relaxed:, my jewel is the best dap i ever had, so take your conclusions, but of course I believe that the M15 is a great Dap too, I don't need to say wrong things about one stuff to valorize mine
Well as you mentioned you have bad hearing.

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #1,644 of 4,083
If Neutron and UAPP don't have native direct access to the audio subsystem, how come the streaming services are?
Neutron and UAPP do have direct access to the DAC, bypassing Android audio. That's the whole point. They also have more features, a better EQ and bitperfect USB DAC support. Whether or not they sound better is up to each individual to determine. I've never had any real issues with FiiO Music but its EQ and lack of basic sorting features (like Album Artist) leaves much to be desired.

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,645 of 4,083
Neutron and UAPP do have direct access to the DAC, bypassing Android audio. That's the whole point. They also have more features, a better EQ and bitperfect USB DAC support. Whether or not they sound better is up to each individual to determine. I've never had any real issues with FiiO Music but its EQ and lack of basic sorting features (like Album Artist) leaves much to be desired.

In general, yes, they do have direct access but for M15, not at the moment. Currently they go through the Android audio subsystem.

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #1,646 of 4,083
In general, yes, they do have direct access but for M15, not at the moment. Currently they go through the Android audio subsystem.
In which case I would wait until UAPP supports the M15 natively. Until then it's unlikely it will sound 'better' than FiiO Music without EQ.

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #1,647 of 4,083
No, my earing is close to perfection, I am a geophone technition and a pass the admition test with great earing results, I even ear all my DAPs without EQ... What a strange thing...
Mojave+earring.jpg

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #1,649 of 4,083
In which case I would wait until UAPP supports the M15 natively. Until then it's unlikely it will sound 'better' than FiiO Music without EQ.

This is actually what I am saying. Currently they cannot sound alone better but maybe due to some processes they apply during the interaction with the Android audio subsystem, they might sound different which can be perceived to be sounding better.

I like and prefer the FiiO player, especially because of the FiiO link but I have to admit that there are a few bugs out there.

Mar 7, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #1,650 of 4,083
Hello All,

It has been a while since I last posted due to my very busy schedule (3 years?). Anyway, for the past 3 years, I had myself the A&K SP1000, its AMP, the IER Z1R, Campfire Andromeda Gold Edition, and recently: the Fiio M15 (among others).

To put it simply, as I don't have the luxury of time elaborating why: Fiio M15 is the better DAP than the SP1000 with AMP. SP1000 may win in the "organic" sound department, but the M15 wins with a very, very, very revealing and amplified sound. Topnotch. Maybe the SP1000 owners like me cannot swallow the bitter pill that their very expensive players have been outdone by a DAP almost a third of its price, but I have woken up to reality - now I cannot deny M15's might over the SP1000.

Here are some pictures, with my IER ZIR and the latest Gold cable from ALO, alongside with the SP1000 and the M15 (Campfire Andromeda Gold Edition and the SP1000 AMP are not in the picture though):
IMG_2630 (1).jpg

So Astell & Kern, please up your game after the SP2000. Fiio is now knocking on your door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back