FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jan 30, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #796 of 4,083
That thing looks so thick, it would probably be a nightmare for my glasses. I probably need to stick to my Superbax cables.

Now if they could make a Superbax with interchangeable terminations.

I wear glasses, I am able to use them for about 9-10 hours at a single shot.

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #797 of 4,083
I wear glasses, I am able to use them for about 9-10 hours at a single shot.

Oh that is perfect then. I wonder if anyone confirmed the resistance/impedence of it with each plug.

Though that isn't really important for most people without sensitive iems.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #798 of 4,083
Been thinking of getting a dap for my legend x customs You think m11pro would be a better chocie over the m15 ? ( coming from dx200 )
If you want a linear experience go for M11 PRO, if you want a slightly warmer presentation with the best bass and midrange I've heard in a DAP, then go for M15

Jan 31, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #799 of 4,083
That thing looks so thick, it would probably be a nightmare for my glasses. I probably need to stick to my Superbax cables.
i also wear glasses and hulk is pretty heavy. the plastic foil around the cable was putting too much pressure on my ears so i removed them. now i can comfortably use it straight (better) or behind the ear (still some slight pressure but bearable). the main issue is i have to fix the cable on me with that small bandage, somewhere around the big metal tube where the cable splits to left and right otherwise the iems fall out due to gravity :)

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #800 of 4,083
Do you guys think this is SP2000 level of sound?

I haven't tested the SP2000 but had SP1000 and some other TOTL DAPs. My recommendation would be that, do not buy into such comparisions. Maybe M15 is at the same level, or probably not. It has a much better overall user experience than the A&K platforms as software, but soundwise may or may not be at the same level. Just buy somehing that you can afford and enjoy, and stop chasing the hearsay. There are so many "ghost stories" being told in these forums (which might also be about M15 or SP2000).

If you can, check if you can test and compare it somewhere close to you, and check if you can justify the 3x price difference. Independent of the price, I prefer the M15, as it has a much nicer overall experience for me. The system is fast, Qobuz rus very smoothly, wifi connection is stable, it has a bluetooth receive mode, supports all jack types, I can even use the webbrowser on it and access YouTube. But that is me, and my preferences. There could be someone who does not care about any of these and just wants the absolute best sound and spends 3x the money.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #801 of 4,083
Finally had a chance to experience this in person.

The first thing I noticed was actually the weight; it was almost 2.5x my M11 with a case on! Certainly gives a nice feeling of a quality build.

Sounds great out of the 2.5mm, to me it seems the output impedance is slightly lower (Andromedas started getting a bit of low-end heft/bassier sound).

Overall a very, very nice unit and a clear step up from the M11, which I thought could not be outdone at such a quick pace.

Coming in at over $1800 CAD right now, it is a bit beyond my reach, but I will for sure consider it in the future.

Great job @FiiO and your entire team, this is an amazing product!

20200125_151335.jpg 20200125_152046.jpg 20200125_152155.jpg 20200125_152126.jpg

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #802 of 4,083
I haven't tested the SP2000 but had SP1000 and some other TOTL DAPs. My recommendation would be that, do not buy into such comparisions. Maybe M15 is at the same level, or probably not. It has a much better overall user experience than the A&K platforms as software, but soundwise may or may not be at the same level. Just buy somehing that you can afford and enjoy, and stop chasing the hearsay. There are so many "ghost stories" being told in these forums (which might also be about M15 or SP2000).

If you can, check if you can test and compare it somewhere close to you, and check if you can justify the 3x price difference. Independent of the price, I prefer the M15, as it has a much nicer overall experience for me. The system is fast, Qobuz rus very smoothly, wifi connection is stable, it has a bluetooth receive mode, supports all jack types, I can even use the webbrowser on it and access YouTube. But that is me, and my preferences. There could be someone who does not care about any of these and just wants the absolute best sound and spends 3x the money.

Have you tried to see if NewPipe works on the fiio open source Android? (open source youtube client)

https://github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe/releases/tag/v0.18.2

Screenshot_20200131-125138666 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #803 of 4,083
Jan 31, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #804 of 4,083
Jan 31, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #805 of 4,083
Search awesome plug on Lunashop or Aliexpress and see related items and you'll get an idea of the current 4-5 different types of plugs on the market. I solder my own, but one can buy it and find someone professional who can do the it for them.

My personal favorite is this and I have several cables terminated using that. Pros are the connectors are large and weighty and the joints are very easy to solder. Only con would be the height of the right angle is sometime too cumbersome.

I also added a set to the IEMatch 2.5 to be able to use it in balanced 4.4mm or SE. Also having a set on a 4 pin XLR pigtail is a good idea as well since it then becomes an all in one adapter.

That's brilliant!
Thanks for the heads-up on these.
Have you ever seen 'in-line' connectors like this? (as in something I could use to interrupt a cable, rather than change just the plug at the end)
I've searched for something like this so I could make a cable similar to yours, but have the split connector near the Y-split instead of at the end near the player.
It would mean having to carry/store a cable for each different jack type, but would allow me to choose any regular available plug for the end, and have different length cables for different use cases.

If I can find some sort of cable connector like I describe (and a small right angle 4.4mm neutrik style jack, something like the ones FIIO uses on their cables) I'll be able to build the perfect solution (for me at least!).

The cable could be longish for 'pocket dap' use, very short for BTR5 on a neck lanyard use, and very long for use at home, all with their appropriate 2.5/4.4/quarter inch connectors.

Sorry for the sorta off-topic M15 fans! (but this cable would also work with the M15 :ksc75smile:
)
I love the cables you've made, but would like to keep the plug at the player as small as possible to minimise pocket stress, I've lost too many devices to bending stresses! (well OK, only two, but they were expensive and unpleasant losses!).

Jan 31, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #806 of 4,083
That's brilliant!
Thanks for the heads-up on these.
Have you ever seen 'in-line' connectors like this? (as in something I could use to interrupt a cable, rather than change just the plug at the end)
I've searched for something like this so I could make a cable similar to yours, but have the split connector near the Y-split instead of at the end near the player.
It would mean having to carry/store a cable for each different jack type, but would allow me to choose any regular available plug for the end, and have different length cables for different use cases.

If I can find some sort of cable connector like I describe (and a small right angle 4.4mm neutrik style jack, something like the ones FIIO uses on their cables) I'll be able to build the perfect solution (for me at least!).

The cable could be longish for 'pocket dap' use, very short for BTR5 on a neck lanyard use, and very long for use at home, all with their appropriate 2.5/4.4/quarter inch connectors.

Sorry for the sorta off-topic M15 fans! (but this cable would also work with the M15 :ksc75smile:
)
I love the cables you've made, but would like to keep the plug at the player as small as possible to minimise pocket stress, I've lost too many devices to bending stresses! (well OK, only two, but they were expensive and unpleasant losses!).

I would probably just add a pair of mini xlr connectors on the cable 10 cm before the y split. Then make as many long tails as you want with whatever connection you desire.

if you want a smaller size just use 2.5mm connectors, male on one end and female on the other. That way your short cable can be used directly with your Bluetooth DAC as a 2.5mm short cable.

Though doing that you may be mixing cables if your end cables are different.

Jan 31, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #807 of 4,083
Search awesome plug on Lunashop or Aliexpress and see related items and you'll get an idea of the current 4-5 different types of plugs on the market. I solder my own, but one can buy it and find someone professional who can do the it for them.

My personal favorite is this and I have several cables terminated using that. Pros are the connectors are large and weighty and the joints are very easy to solder. Only con would be the height of the right angle is sometime too cumbersome.

I also added a set to the IEMatch 2.5 to be able to use it in balanced 4.4mm or SE. Also having a set on a 4 pin XLR pigtail is a good idea as well since it then becomes an all in one adapter.

Thanks for the info... nice collection you have there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back