FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Dec 30, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #242 of 4,083
LOL - and I'm sitting here with an iPod touch 7th generation feeling fairly contempt. I like your setup. :)
Haha thanks! I may consider upgrading to this DAP if it proves to be well worth the $1300 :thinking:

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #243 of 4,083
Actually I wished Fiio hid their Android bones alot like AK does...this is why I have stayed away from Android devices after my Pioneer 100r...Im tired of a high end daps looking like my cell phone with a music player app and upgraded DAC section. That mos def is a buzzkill for me in alot of ways. Kills the specialness of everything.

I understand users wanting streaming services - but that necessitates an android underpinning to ruin semi-modern builds of popular apps. I think FiiO has done a decent job at running Android while still feeling somewhat like a dedicated device in the M6 and M9, but I also find these pseudo-smartphone DAPs a bit meh. For me personally, I can stream from my phone if I want. I have a large collection of local music I've gathered over the past 10 years or so and would prefer a highly customized DAP with a dedicated music OS. Essentially, I really like what Cowon does with the Plenue line other than the fact that the OS runs like a 90s OS on 80s hardware. However, I know I'm in the minority on simple DAPs.

Still, I'd suppose I'd rather have a fluid smartphone-type DAP that I can simplify by disabling features than a highly customized simple OS that runs very poorly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #244 of 4,083
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 31, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #247 of 4,083
Besides the previously mentioned adding of MQA support *after* release of the DAP, are there any other known features that will not be available out of the box?

Any marketed software features, or even planned important updates to the M15 upon release? Given that M11 and other such devices have been released with needing the firmware updates after purchasing, it would be nice to know this in advance especially for a much more expensive tier device.

Currently looking to upgrade my DAP, and the M15 fits right amongst the current choices I have on my list and have already tested.. so I'd be interesting in testing and possible seeing if this comes up ahead on my list and becomes the one I choose in the next month or so.. but this information would be important.

Also any info on how long this device would be planned to be supported, how far into the future can we expect updates?

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #249 of 4,083
And expect all kinds of issues if you want to have the latest and greatest of hardware and software all the time. Especially with such a messy system as Android. Software development takes a lot of time and resources and continuous upgrades on the base operating system is not an easy task.

Also, you cannot compare a mobile phone with a very niche market product such as a music player. The number of units Meizu sells and FiiO sells are not even close, so the engineering costs need to be covered per unit rather than with large number of units. You simply cannot compare them.

And streamers, which I also am - Qobuz. For such a simple application as streaming or playing audio, just think about the demands we have: Latest hardware, latest OS, latest of everything! A system (Android) which was built to run tens of other tasks need, that needs ridiculous amount of resources (both HW and engineering to achieve the stability). Samsung, with their near to unlimited resources, are releasing Android updates (for stability and security) every couple of weeks and there is always more to come. And there is no way you can expect the same in the music player business. It just will not work.

The life of a "recent" HW these days is just a couple of months. A recent will be outdated pretty soon. What cannot be outdated so easily is the audio HW, the analogue components. That is it.
I could be wrong, but I dont think his comparo was based on 'apples to apples' comparison of high end daps to phone... basically what I got from it is that the common denominator is Android, and most use that platform for streaming benefits. And with a good amp/dac connected to a decent android phone with a above average amp/dac section, you can make the leap for less money . And we already know LG phones than can compete at a high level...so its not impossible abyss to cross for less money overall.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #250 of 4,083
Been this way for a long time. A few do stand out.

Outside my near purchase of a Sony WM1A, I am actually giving up on 'black box' daps...its seems everyone is locked into this whole 80s stereo asthetic where daps can come in only Black...I need more specialness in my purchases if I am gonna spend a boatload of money on it. I think Black box look is kinda lazy. I don't need more devices looking like my phone...

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #251 of 4,083
? If you already found more attractive daps then why waist your time moaning about this one, have you been banned from A&K theads? lol :beyersmile:
He's prolly complaining because most of us would actually buy this if it wasn't in the dreaded and lazy black default color that most daps seemingly stick to. If im spending my cash-eesh, then give me something that *actually* stands out when I'm on a plane flight or on the train...

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #253 of 4,083
I would not worry about screen resolution on a dap. It's for playing music. The tera is an incredible sounding player and does not have a screen. On the other hand I had a dx220 which has a lovely screen but an awful battery life.
If you want a nice screen get a phone

Jan 1, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #254 of 4,083
I understand users wanting streaming services - but that necessitates an android underpinning to ruin semi-modern builds of popular apps. I think FiiO has done a decent job at running Android while still feeling somewhat like a dedicated device in the M6 and M9, but I also find these pseudo-smartphone DAPs a bit meh. For me personally, I can stream from my phone if I want. I have a large collection of local music I've gathered over the past 10 years or so and would prefer a highly customized DAP with a dedicated music OS. Essentially, I really like what Cowon does with the Plenue line other than the fact that the OS runs like a 90s OS on 80s hardware. However, I know I'm in the minority on simple DAPs.

Still, I'd suppose I'd rather have a fluid smartphone-type DAP that I can simplify by disabling features than a highly customized simple OS that runs very poorly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like you’re looking for a Sony Wm1A or Wm1Z. No Android, no streaming......just Bluetooth and the best sounding DAP money can buy.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #255 of 4,083
Oh good, I'm out of the loop for like three days, it's the first day of the year, and I now have $1300 to find audio budget for.... Surpassing what I had planned for all of 2020 by the first day of the year.

It's a new tradition I've started for myself!

This looks like a for sure winner, IF the 4499 is really actually superior to the 4497. Can't wait to find out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back