FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Feb 20, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #1,232 of 4,083
GG, I just caught up on the earlier pages on this thread - no case included for a $1300 DAP but you get a wooden box? What, Fiio thinks people are going to carry the M15 around in the wooden box? Not even a silicon case like the M11.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but this makes no sense at all. How about a no frills version without the wooden box for $1200? Either go all in with no goodies or all the goodies.

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,233 of 4,083
is there anyone who can compare cayin n6ii ( a01 module ) with fiio m15

really curious bout such comparison

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #1,234 of 4,083
The M15 sounded WhyFi? to me.
Why make a more expensive dap not sound as good as the model below it. I did a lot of A/B with an M11Pro SS exact same Neutron config etc, same tracks. I preferred the sound quality of the M11pro whatever the gain etc of the M15. In turn same tests and shanling m6 just wins over the M11pro, go figure. I got an AR-M2 the same time as the M15, it was instantly more enjoyable to listen to. And my last surprise, I bought a dx150 again just to test ibasso amp mods on that i have been asked to do. Got it cheap and also saw a cheap AMP9 NuTube at the same time, really nice combo, again much more enjoyable than the M15. The 3 daps, M6, ARM2, DX159 cost me about the same as the M15 and its bellow them in my eyes (sorry ears) so its definitely WhyFi to me :D

P.s. all using neutron, same peq config.

I haven't compared against my Cowon M2 as yet, one of my all time favourite still.
Thats the filter I use with LCD-i4. The best one for me.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,236 of 4,083
So true. Half of these forums/threads are people trying to convince other people why they're wrong or justifying their purchase. If someone doesn't like something you like, who cares? It's all subjective.

I've used this example before, but I LOVE avocados and my wife HATES them. How well would it go over if I kept trying to tell her she is wrong and avocados are the best food ever and she needs to try it with salt or try it in a sandwich or try it in an omelette, etc. to find the combination she will like? Obviously not well.

If someone doesn't like "insert product here" (M15 in this case), then who cares, they're entitled to their opinion and let it be. All of our preferences, ear anatomy, hearing ability, etc. are all different.
Seeing as how this is at least likely directed partially towards me, I was not at all reacting to this in the way you seem to be suggesting. I do not own the M15, nor have I heard it yet so I was not defending a like of mine. While I should have not done so regardless, I was responding to how people decide what constitutes evidence of audible differences. Again, I freely own that my posts did not belong outside of the sound science forum, but I was not reacting for the reasons you seem to feel that I was. If your post was not inspired by my previous ill-advised posts, my apology.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,237 of 4,083
GG, I just caught up on the earlier pages on this thread - no case included for a $1300 DAP but you get a wooden box? What, Fiio thinks people are going to carry the M15 around in the wooden box? Not even a silicon case like the M11.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but this makes no sense at all. How about a no frills version without the wooden box for $1200? Either go all in with no goodies or all the goodies.
great point

swap the box for a case

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #1,238 of 4,083
So true. Half of these forums/threads are people trying to convince other people why they're wrong or justifying their purchase. If someone doesn't like something you like, who cares? It's all subjective.

I've used this example before, but I LOVE avocados and my wife HATES them. How well would it go over if I kept trying to tell her she is wrong and avocados are the best food ever and she needs to try it with salt or try it in a sandwich or try it in an omelette, etc. to find the combination she will like? Obviously not well.

If someone doesn't like "insert product here" (M15 in this case), then who cares, they're entitled to their opinion and let it be. All of our preferences, ear anatomy, hearing ability, etc. are all different.
Hang on!! Avocados have good fats.

I thought (almost) everyone likes a good fat

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,239 of 4,083
LOL @Nayparm !!! I love your “WhyFi” statements. That is Hilarious

Haha :D

When postie delivers the M15...

tenor.gif

After pressing play...

tenor (1).gif

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,241 of 4,083
Haha :D

When postie delivers the M15...

tenor.gif

After pressing play...

tenor (1).gif

That was my experience with M11. I guess M15 still not quite there... :dizzy_face:

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,242 of 4,083
Seeing as how this is at least likely directed partially towards me, I was not at all reacting to this in the way you seem to be suggesting. I do not own the M15, nor have I heard it yet so I was not defending a like of mine. While I should have not done so regardless, I was responding to how people decide what constitutes evidence of audible differences. Again, I freely own that my posts did not belong outside of the sound science forum, but I was not reacting for the reasons you seem to feel that I was. If your post was not inspired by my previous ill-advised posts, my apology.

Its all good, it didn't bother me, everyones opinion keeps it interesting and I'm sure it works with more suttle differences like identical daps but in different chassis, A&K (copper, SS) N8 (SS, Brass), M11Pro (Al, SS) don't think i'd be able to pick which was which with my eyes shut

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #1,243 of 4,083

That's pretty much my only real criticism so far for M15, and I don't think even a FiiO fanboy would be able to support the idea of a wooden box. I didn't like the idea even with SP1000, which at least had a case, but this...I don't get it. FiiO didn't need to imitate anybody.

Anyway... I think most of the DAPs out there including the M11 Pro and DX160 would provide enough sound quality goodness if there's no hard to drive HP/IEM connected to it. Soundwise I am well satisfied with M15 and just waiting for my A18t to complement it.

One thing: 7872 is a very powerful platform. It has even a GPU supporting opencl in addition to floating point performance of A73 cores. I didn't do any benchmarking but that means, it should be able to support very high quality audio processing, like a parametric EQ and other effects. It should even be able handle amplifier simulation to emulate, for example, different tube amp characteristics. It is definitely a great platform for audio software hacking. I wish FiiO would define some API and release SDK for developing plugins for their music player.

Feb 20, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #1,244 of 4,083
Hello, my first post here

I just sent my M15 back after 3 weeks of testing/listening/comparing to other gears I own (Kann Cube, Q5s AM3D). So for those who is trying to find this DAP - this is a good news. Soon it will be available at All About Office seller on Amazon, but as a refurbished unit. The condition, of course, is excellent.
My major complaints about M15 are the following:

1. I realized that I do not like curvy forms.
2. Control buttons are too sensitive and can be pressed accidentally very easily and this has happened many times - it is annoying, actually.
3. Feels plasticky (in comparison with KC)
4. Too hot (really, especially after 1-2 hours of listening HiRes tracks 24/192)

As for sound quality, I did not manage to find anything that will place M15 above KC or even Q5s AM3D (aka M11 Pro). They are all very good DAPs.
I tested all of them with Stellia and Clear - the sound is great.

One feature that puts M15 above KC is CPU/UI/Android 7. UI is definitely much more responsive and preinstalled ApkPure makes installing Android applications
much easier. But I am OK with white listing approach of A&K as long as I can install Amazon Music HD - this is the major source of my HiRes music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back