FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Feb 18, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #1,186 of 4,083
After the 100 hour burn-in, I took the DX228 and did some quick A/B. Treble extension on the M15 is much superior. This is curious, because it was not my initial impression. M15 is airier and more detailed with a much deeper soundstage. DX228 has nothing to do with M15 and can't be even compared at this point. Different leagues :)

Now, I would like to test DX229 as this AMP9 has better components than AMP8.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,187 of 4,083
After the 100 hour burn-in, I took the DX228 and did some quick A/B. Treble extension on the M15 is much superior. This is curious, because it was not my initial impression. M15 is airier and more detailed with a much deeper soundstage. DX228 has nothing to do with M15 and can't be even compared at this point. Different leagues :)
New it.

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,189 of 4,083
...aaaaaand, I still haven't seen your "tried it, it's meeeeh mid-fi DAP" comment. Come on, don't make us wait that long. :p
Ha , I dont think it will be "mid fi" , but who knows. I still enjoying my mid fi Cowon daps with hi fi headphones.
20191222_140910.jpg

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,190 of 4,083
just ordered on Amazon.co.uk, now i just have to wait for it to arrive :)

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #1,191 of 4,083

I ordered this similar product from Hiby but with a 4.4mm jack, and will let you know how it works out.
image.png

Since the price was right, I also ordered this from Fiio to see if USB power isolation would be beneficial when using the M15 while charging.
image.png

Fiio, if this device works works well then a USB type C version would be most welcome.

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #1,192 of 4,083
I bought M15 from Hifigo.com last month(The service by Hifigo’s staff was excellent! ). I’ve owned and enjoyed some DAPs, that is to say A&K SE100,A&K SP1000, Hifiman R2R2000, and Sony NW-WM1A.
I like all the Daps,but I’m enjoying M15 only recently. The reason is below:

1. AK4499EQ x2 are awesome. Compare to SP1000(AK4497EQ x2), the sound quality is the best. Incomparable with SE100 which is same price range.

2. Earphone jack are mounted by 2.5mm,3.5mm,and 4.4mm…Any earphone can be used.

3. Long battery life. Long listening but charges only need once every two or three days.

4. Compact and light. Compare to SP1000,SE100, and NW-WM1A.

5. Android mode and pure music mode are prepared. The former can install Android apps via Fiio store app or apkpure.com.

6. High power. All high impedance earphone(ex. RHA CL750) can be enjoyed.

…and more. I might the other DAPs to part.

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,193 of 4,083
I bought M15 from Hifigo.com last month(The service by Hifigo’s staff was excellent! ). I’ve owned and enjoyed some DAPs, that is to say A&K SE100,A&K SP1000, Hifiman R2R2000, and Sony NW-WM1A.
I like all the Daps,but I’m enjoying M15 only recently. The reason is below:

1. AK4499EQ x2 are awesome. Compare to SP1000(AK4497EQ x2), the sound quality is the best. Incomparable with SE100 which is same price range.

2. Earphone jack are mounted by 2.5mm,3.5mm,and 4.4mm…Any earphone can be used.

3. Long battery life. Long listening but charges only need once every two or three days.

4. Compact and light. Compare to SP1000,SE100, and NW-WM1A.

5. Android mode and pure music mode are prepared. The former can install Android apps via Fiio store app or apkpure.com.

6. High power. All high impedance earphone(ex. RHA CL750) can be enjoyed.

…and more. I might the other DAPs to part.
Nice to read, and great first post here at head-fi. I was literally just speaking with a gentleman who teaches at my university and he moved from Osaka when he was 18 years old so we were talking about what it was like to move from Japan to North America. He first moved from Osaka to Texas if you can believe it, eventually ending up here in Canada. I am looking forward to getting an M15 soon myself, if I can. Still finishing school, but done soon so we'll see if the M15 doesn't become a graduation present to myself! Glad that you are enjoying it so much.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,194 of 4,083
Nice to read, and great first post here at head-fi. I was literally just speaking with a gentleman who teaches at my university and he moved from Osaka when he was 18 years old so we were talking about what it was like to move from Japan to North America. He first moved from Osaka to Texas if you can believe it, eventually ending up here in Canada. I am looking forward to getting an M15 soon myself, if I can. Still finishing school, but done soon so we'll see if the M15 doesn't become a graduation present to myself! Glad that you are enjoying it so much.
Thank you so much for the reply to my first post! I'm extremely happy.
So your teacher’s from OSAKA I see! My location is FUKUOKA which is a big city after next to OSAKA.From Osaka to Texas and ending up Canada…That's amazing!
I hope you get M15 for graduation present…Maybe you'll be fine as long as you have M15.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,195 of 4,083
Thank you so much for the reply to my first post! I'm extremely happy.
So your teacher’s from OSAKA I see! My location is FUKUOKA which is a big city after next to OSAKA.From Osaka to Texas and ending up Canada…That's amazing!
I hope you get M15 for graduation present…Maybe you'll be fine as long as you have M15.
Sadly in my program I have never actually taken a course taught by this gentleman, we are on reading break and I came to the university to mark assignments and happened to notice that he was sitting in his office and decided to pop in to introduce myself. Like many people, I hope to visit Japan someday soon, although the very high cost of travel to and lodging in Japan creates a serious barrier for those who are not well-off financially. I will read up on Fukuoka and learn a little about your part of the world. Cheers.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,196 of 4,083
Sadly in my program I have never actually taken a course taught by this gentleman, we are on reading break and I came to the university to mark assignments and happened to notice that he was sitting in his office and decided to pop in to introduce myself. Like many people, I hope to visit Japan someday soon, although the very high cost of travel to and lodging in Japan creates a serious barrier for those who are not well-off financially. I will read up on Fukuoka and learn a little about your part of the world. Cheers.
Thank you for the reply. I'm a associate professor of a Japanese univ and my student has studied English and French abroad in Canada. I'd like to study more about the customs and culture in Canada. Thank you!

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #1,197 of 4,083
Hmmm figured I'd post this here to gauge any interest...

My M15 will be going back to Amazon as it's too warm for my tastes, I would like to offer it for sale here first since they're hard to get right now and with CoV there's a delay for more being dispatched.

If anyone is interested shoot me a PM, I'm looking for what I'd get back if I were just to return it to Amazon, nothing extra. $1,407 after PayPal fees and shipping or you can do friends and family and throw in around $16 for USPS Priority Mail shipping ($1,423).

I'll give this a few days.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #1,198 of 4,083
Thank you for the reply. I'm a associate professor of a Japanese univ and my student has studied English and French abroad in Canada. I'd like to study more about the customs and culture in Canada. Thank you!
Interesting, what do you teach? I am in the social sciences, I have recently returned to university to do a Master of Social Work which will be done this July. I suspect most Canadians would think that we have no customs or culture as we are still a very young country. There are some deeper cultural roots here from when Europeans first colonized this land that the Indigenous peoples called Turtle Island. Enjoy your M15. I used to own the Sony Z1R which I suspect would be lovely in combination with the M15 via the 4.4mm input.

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,199 of 4,083
Hmmm figured I'd post this here to gauge any interest...

My M15 will be going back to Amazon as it's too warm for my tastes, I would like to offer it for sale here first since they're hard to get right now and with CoV there's a delay for more being dispatched.

If anyone is interested shoot me a PM, I'm looking for what I'd get back if I were just to return it to Amazon, nothing extra. $1,407 after PayPal fees and shipping or you can do friends and family and throw in around $16 for USPS Priority Mail shipping ($1,423).

I'll give this a few days.
That's the beauty of it for IEMs like LCD-i4. But I believe it can't work for any IEM or everyone's tastes.

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #1,200 of 4,083
Ha , I dont think it will be "mid fi" , but who knows. I still enjoying my mid fi Cowon daps with hi fi headphones.

The M15 sounded WhyFi? to me.
Why make a more expensive dap not sound as good as the model below it. I did a lot of A/B with an M11Pro SS exact same Neutron config etc, same tracks. I preferred the sound quality of the M11pro whatever the gain etc of the M15. In turn same tests and shanling m6 just wins over the M11pro, go figure. I got an AR-M2 the same time as the M15, it was instantly more enjoyable to listen to. And my last surprise, I bought a dx150 again just to test ibasso amp mods on that i have been asked to do. Got it cheap and also saw a cheap AMP9 NuTube at the same time, really nice combo, again much more enjoyable than the M15. The 3 daps, M6, ARM2, DX159 cost me about the same as the M15 and its bellow them in my eyes (sorry ears) so its definitely WhyFi to me :D

P.s. all using neutron, same peq config.

I haven't compared against my Cowon M2 as yet, one of my all time favourite still.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back