FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Feb 9, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #1,037 of 4,083
Feb 9, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #1,040 of 4,083
Interesting. Would you share some thoughts on DX228EX vs M15?

228ex more reference, less musical if you will. M15 I hear more warmth to the sound, thicker mids and more emphasis on the lows.

Soundstage the M15 is rather wide so I’d give that the upper hand too. Both to me are fantastic in terms is SQ.

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #1,041 of 4,083
I've auditioned the DX220/Amp8 today, before returning it and the SQ is indeed very good, it's extremely detailed, but lacks that punch in the drums and the depth of M15. M15 sounds higher-end, no doubts about it, but DX220 is very good. But the drum thing seems to me to be amp8's fault, because it sounds better with amp1 MKII in that regard (only). My guess is that amp9 could be my thing (warmer, still wide soundstage, possibly more refined due to better components, etc). And... Play Store :)

...but slow as hell compared to M15 :confounded:

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,042 of 4,083
This is not a result of Google's policy !

It's Samsung's policy not to update the 7872 SDK to Android 9 or above.

M11 and Google Play Store
Regardless of who's fault it is, the bottom line is the M15 does not and will not support Play Services and therefore any apps that require Play Services to run will be inoperable on the M15. That currently includes UAPP and Plex as the two apps I personally want on a DAP. It's a real shame too, because other than that one critical limitation, the M15 is probably spot on sound- and feature-wise for a mid/high-end Android player.

If anyone has heard the M15 alongside the HiBy R6 Pro, I'd appreciate some thoughts on differences/similarities.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #1,046 of 4,083
Feb 10, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #1,047 of 4,083
ok i have done a comparison between m15 sp2k caiyin n8 at the local store without bring any of it home. Reason is simple, the later two is way too expensive and m15 is rather a strange being in the dap market.

I use final a8k and nightowl (both bal) to test the device with same song on the same sdcard. Have to say before the test i was pretty excited about m15.

First with a8k, transparency wise sp2k wins by quite a margin with n8 falls the last. M15 is in the middle more close to n8 rather than sp2k. I would not say m15 have a good transparency.

Soundstage wise n8 and m15 are about the same level of width, but sp2k have better depth which sounds much more natural to my ears.

Separations and dynamic n8 wins by quite a margin with m15 falls behind by inch and sp2k at last, especially dynamics sp2k really lost on this one.

In general with iem, m15 does not present any edges over those two devices, tonality wise not very musical as well.

But things become interesting when I switch to nightowl, m15’s dedicated headphone mode drives it almost at the same level with n8, but again not as musical or I should say not musical at all compare to n8. Sp2k drives the nightowl pretty much to a bearable level but i would not use sp2k with it in general.

So here we are, m15 is not really that good (not dual 4497 level of goodness)with iem but presents some level of competence with headphones, besides that sound quality wise n62 with t01 amp came pretty close with it but much cheaper. What a awkward position for such high priced device. I would wait for further price drop and use third party player app to see if the musicality can be resolved with that.

Price wise, don’t believe the price policy fiio officially Announced. There is definitely space for negotiation to push the price under 1000$

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #1,048 of 4,083
ok i have done a comparison between m15 sp2k caiyin n8 at the local store without bring any of it home. Reason is simple, the later two is way too expensive and m15 is rather a strange being in the dap market.

I use final a8k and nightowl (both bal) to test the device with same song on the same sdcard. Have to say before the test i was pretty excited about m15.

First with a8k, transparency wise sp2k wins by quite a margin with n8 falls the last. M15 is in the middle more close to n8 rather than sp2k. I would not say m15 have a good transparency.

Soundstage wise n8 and m15 are about the same level of width, but sp2k have better depth which sounds much more natural to my ears.

Separations and dynamic n8 wins by quite a margin with m15 falls behind by inch and sp2k at last, especially dynamics sp2k really lost on this one.

In general with iem, m15 does not present any edges over those two devices, tonality wise not very musical as well.

But things become interesting when I switch to nightowl, m15’s dedicated headphone mode drives it almost at the same level with n8, but again not as musical or I should say not musical at all compare to n8. Sp2k drives the nightowl pretty much to a bearable level but i would not use sp2k with it in general.

So here we are, m15 is not really that good (not dual 4497 level of goodness)with iem but presents some level of competence with headphones, besides that sound quality wise n62 with t01 amp came pretty close with it but much cheaper. What a awkward position for such high priced device. I would wait for further price drop and use third party player app to see if the musicality can be resolved with that.

Price wise, don’t believe the price policy fiio officially Announced. There is definitely space for negotiation to push the price under 1000$
Nice how there are no facts in this hobby. I had the sp1000 and found the sp2000 sounding like most other mid fi daps. My favorite is the N8. If there's better show me.
20190110_182937.jpg

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #1,050 of 4,083

Out of the box M15 sounds everything less transparent. This transparency has sprouted at 100 hours burn-in, with all that overwhelming bass becoming more controlled and tighter, opening space for micro-details and instrument refinement to shine. This is just my observation, worth what it's worth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back