FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Feb 21, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #3,526 of 4,083
The M7 has a 1180mAh battery with advertised 20 hour battery life. The M15; 15 hour battery life with it's humongous 7490mAh battery. Interesting.
Completely different power outputs for the amps and different dacs that require different power to operate. The m7 is a single ESS portable chip verse the m15 dual AKM desktop chips. The m7 only supports basic DSD to 128, no mqa while the m15 supports DSD to 512 and mqa to 8 times unfolding. And the m7 only produces 40mW at 32 ohms power amp to the m15 800mW at 32 ohms power amp. So both players operate very differently.

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #3,528 of 4,083
So I’ve been thinking about buying one of these to use as a Portable solution, but I was wondering how does this stack up when paired with a Desktop Amp/Tube Amp. Would I be ok to use it as a Stand-alone Dac?

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #3,529 of 4,083
So I’ve been thinking about buying one of these to use as a Portable solution, but I was wondering how does this stack up when paired with a Desktop Amp/Tube Amp. Would I be ok to use it as a Stand-alone Dac?
I lived with only the M15 + BTR5 for a few months before getting the D90 MQA / A90, and I still go back to the M15 as it sounds so good with Over the Ear headphone mode enabled. I use the M15 with the DK-1 stand connected to my computer USB as a desktop, and then can take it mobile as needed.

The only headphones the M15 was at it's limit were the 600 ohm headphones, but even so they were perfectly fine, but the A90 drives them harder. The xDuoo TA-20 Tube / SS hybrid headphone amp is my preferred sound right now, and drives any headphones.

My new Hifiman HE6SE V2 needs lots of power, and is at 75-85 (out of 95) when rocking out. So, I am looking for a 25w-50w Tube AMP to run through the Hifiman HE-Adapter - a speaker out to 4-pin headphone connector box.

The upgrades continue, but I would still be happy with the M15 if I stopped there for a while longer before upgrading.

I'm pretty sure you'll really enjoy the M15, please come back and let us know how it works out :)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #3,530 of 4,083
It's a fairly neutral DAP so it will make the IEM sound the way it was tuned. However keep in mind:

1) Give time for burn in of a new M15 - maybe 100 hrs or so. Initial sound seems on the warmer side before burn in.
2) If you have multi BA IEMs, you want to make sure you have 20+ ohm input impedance given the higher than average 3 ohm output on the M15. There are some exceptions but this is the general guideline.

Personally, all the IEMs I have pair well - EE Wraith, Sony IER-Z1R, and Audeze LCD i4 (Using PEQ on UAPP)
Does the M15 pair well with FIIO's own FA9?

If yes, what switch settings?

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #3,531 of 4,083
Right now I have three separate set ups for headphones, office, listening room in my house and bedroom. But I only have two dacs so I’ve been occasionally using the m15 as a dac to my pendant amp which has been working great. Otherwise I have to move the chord Dave up stairs, so I only do that when I’m listening for an extended period and not just an hour before going to sleep. The m15 dac is really pretty good, definitely equivalent to any standard desk top dac until you get to a multibit or mid tier dac. The m15 powers my zmf or focal headphones well but my power hungry LCD4 need more power to sound dynamic. And adding the pendant with the m15 really livens things up with zmf or lcds.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #3,532 of 4,083
I live with only the M15 + BTR5 for a few months before getting the D90 MQA / A90, and I still go back to the M15 as it sounds so good with Over the Ear headphone mode enabled. I use the M15 with the DK-1 stand connected to my computer USB as a desktop, and then can take it mobile as needed.

The only headphones the M15 was at it's limit were the 600 ohm headphones, but even so they were perfectly fine, but the A90 drives them harder. The xDuoo TA-20 Tube / SS hybrid headphone amp is my preferred sound right now, and drives any headphones.

My new Hifiman HE6SE V2 needs lots of power, and is at 75-85 (out of 95) when rocking out. So, I am looking for a 25w-50w Tube AMP to run through the Hifiman HE-Adapter - a speaker out to 4-pin headphone connector box.

The upgrades continue, but I would still be happy with the M15 if I stopped there for a while longer before upgrading.

I'm pretty sure you'll really enjoy the M15, please come back and let us know how it works out :)
Yea will do, I will see how it runs on my ZMF Pendant SE when it arrives later this month and probably replace my DX7 Pro with it.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #3,533 of 4,083
Right now I have three separate set ups for headphones, office, listening room in my house and bedroom. But I only have two dacs so I’ve been occasionally using the m15 as a dac to my pendant amp which has been working great. Otherwise I have to move the chord Dave up stairs, so I only do that when I’m listening for an extended period and not just an hour before going to sleep. The m15 dac is really pretty good, definitely equivalent to any standard desk top dac until you get to a multibit or mid tier dac. The m15 powers my zmf or focal headphones well but my power hungry LCD4 need more power to sound dynamic. And adding the pendant with the m15 really livens things up with zmf or lcds.
That’s really good to hear as I am getting the Pendant SE, now I really look forward to it

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #3,534 of 4,083
Yea will do, I will see how it runs on my ZMF Pendant SE when it arrives later this month and probably replace my DX7 Pro with it.
That's awesome, I've heard good reports about the Pendant V1 headphone amp :)

Did you get the JJ tubes or optional (unnamed?) vintage tubes?
  • Optional vintage tube set (EL84, 6CA4, 12au7, and 12ax7)
Unless you opted for the vintage tubes both models get the JJ tubes stock.

Pendant OG Includes:
  • Black Chassis
  • JJ Tubes
  • Wima Coupling Caps
Pendant SE Includes:
  • Walnut Burl Chassis
  • JJ Tubes
  • Jupiter Coupling Caps
  • Stepped (24 steps) attenuator
https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/products/zmf-pendant
I've been tube rolling on the xDuoo TA-20, and it has 2 12AU7's, which for me is enough tube positions to roll at a time to get to know the variations in presentation each tube pairing provides. The TA-20 comes with new production Shuguang 12AU7's which sound great all on their own. But, of course I started swapping right away :)

Over the last 2 months I've gone through a fair number of pairings, but one of the tube makes I started with were the JJ 12AU7 ECC82 and ECC802s - gold pin models - and I really enjoyed both. The ECC82 is the short plate variant, and in general I've found the long plate variant - if both are available from a maker - the long plate JJ ECC802s gives a wider sound stage and more dynamic sound. And, the JJ ECC82 failed in one aspect for my use, the pair I bought new began to be noisier than the ECC802s for my sensitive IEM's, so I return the ECC82 and kept the ECC802s JJ pair.

The "vintage" tubes I've enjoyed most have been the "newest" NOS - with the highest measured response as compared to new stock showing 100% to 116% as tested - they are the ones with no background noise - the TA-20 with new new tubes has Zero noise on sensitive IEM's so if there is noise heard - HISS - it is from the tubes. As tubes age they get noisy, aging out tubes become hissy. So if you get vintage tubes buy 100-100 or higher testing - it may be more difficult to find them, but if you use IEM with many BA's or very sensitive IEM's enough HISS will make those tubes useless for IEM's.

Headphones don't seem to care - I've tried a wide range an have not heard hiss on the headphones when I clearly hear it on the IEM's. Some IEM's don't show the hiss either.

These are the make / models I've recently had success with for NOS tube not showing bothersome hiss in sensitive IEM's. Note that NOS tubes cost more with higher measurements than tubes with lower measurements, but there are also plenty of expensive tubes that don't measure well - be sure and check the tube measurements before purchasing; ask for % life measurements if they only show transconductance measurements.

Philco Long Black Plate Angled D getter 12AU7, one tube has no noise and measures 102-100 and the other tube is starting to have a hint of noise and measures 96-92

RCA Long Black Plate D getter 12AU7, neither tube has HISS, one tube measures 108-116 the other measures 104-94

Tung-sol JAN Black-Glass 12AU7, neither tube has bothersome hiss, neither tube has HISS, one tube measures 98-98 the other measures 96-96. These tubes are hard to find, my first pair had more HISS than I like, but was the first I found, it came with no measurements - lesson learned. Next I found a quad of them with one pair (above) measuring best with no noise and the other pair measuring 96-94 with a hint of noise starting.

Again, none of the NOS tubes I bought showed any HISS with headphones. I was surprised to find my first NOS RCA Clear Top 12AU7 pair sounded amazing with all of my headphones at the time, but when I switched to IEM's my most sensitive showed a "wall of HISS", I couldn't use them, so I returned them.

Whoever I buy NOS tubes from I make sure they will take back the tubes - no matter the reason - if I don't like them I can return them within 30 days. I also ask if they can test them with sensitive IEM's before they ship, and they all say to just try them and return them if they aren't what I want. :)

More tube rolling experiences with the TA-20 reported in this thread starting with this post here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.10118/post-611207
I'm really looking forward to your review of your new Pendant SE :)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #3,535 of 4,083
That's awesome, I've heard good reports about the Pendant V1 headphone amp :)

Did you get the JJ tubes or optional (unnamed?) vintage tubes?
  • Optional vintage tube set (EL84, 6CA4, 12au7, and 12ax7)
Unless you opted for the vintage tubes both models get the JJ tubes stock.

Pendant OG Includes:
  • Black Chassis
  • JJ Tubes
  • Wima Coupling Caps
Pendant SE Includes:
  • Walnut Burl Chassis
  • JJ Tubes
  • Jupiter Coupling Caps
  • Stepped (24 steps) attenuator
https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/products/zmf-pendant
I've been tube rolling on the xDuoo TA-20, and it has 2 12AU7's, which for me is enough tube positions to roll at a time to get to know the variations in presentation each tube pairing provides. The TA-20 comes with new production Shuguang 12AU7's which sound great all on their own. But, of course I started swapping right away :)

Over the last 2 months I've gone through a fair number of pairings, but one of the tube makes I started with were the JJ 12AU7 ECC82 and ECC802s - gold pin models - and I really enjoyed both. The ECC82 is the short plate variant, and in general I've found the long plate variant - if both are available from a maker - the long plate JJ ECC802s gives a wider sound stage and more dynamic sound. And, the JJ ECC82 failed in one aspect for my use, the pair I bought new began to be noisier than the ECC802s for my sensitive IEM's, so I return the ECC82 and kept the ECC802s JJ pair.

The "vintage" tubes I've enjoyed most have been the "newest" NOS - with the highest measured response as compared to new stock showing 100% to 116% as tested - they are the ones with no background noise - the TA-20 with new new tubes has Zero noise on sensitive IEM's so if there is noise heard - HISS - it is from the tubes. As tubes age they get noisy, aging out tubes become hissy. So if you get vintage tubes buy 100-100 or higher testing - it may be more difficult to find them, but if you use IEM with many BA's or very sensitive IEM's enough HISS will make those tubes useless for IEM's.

Headphones don't seem to care - I've tried a wide range an have not heard hiss on the headphones when I clearly hear it on the IEM's. Some IEM's don't show the hiss either.

These are the make / models I've recently had success with for NOS tube not showing bothersome hiss in sensitive IEM's. Note that NOS tubes cost more with higher measurements than tubes with lower measurements, but there are also plenty of expensive tubes that don't measure well - be sure and check the tube measurements before purchasing; ask for % life measurements if they only show transconductance measurements.

Philco Long Black Plate Angled D getter 12AU7, one tube has no noise and measures 102-100 and the other tube is starting to have a hint of noise and measures 96-92

RCA Long Black Plate D getter 12AU7, neither tube has HISS, one tube measures 108-116 the other measures 104-94

Tung-sol JAN Black-Glass 12AU7, neither tube has bothersome hiss, neither tube has HISS, one tube measures 98-98 the other measures 96-96. These tubes are hard to find, my first pair had more HISS than I like, but was the first I found, it came with no measurements - lesson learned. Next I found a quad of them with one pair (above) measuring best with no noise and the other pair measuring 96-94 with a hint of noise starting.

Again, none of the NOS tubes I bought showed any HISS with headphones. I was surprised to find my first NOS RCA Clear Top 12AU7 pair sounded amazing with all of my headphones at the time, but when I switched to IEM's my most sensitive showed a "wall of HISS", I couldn't use them, so I returned them.

Whoever I buy NOS tubes from I make sure they will take back the tubes - no matter the reason - if I don't like them I can return them within 30 days. I also ask if they can test them with sensitive IEM's before they ship, and they all say to just try them and return them if they aren't what I want. :)

More tube rolling experiences with the TA-20 reported in this thread starting with this post here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.10118/post-611207
I'm really looking forward to your review of your new Pendant SE :)
I went for stock tubes as I want really get a grasp of what they sound like before I start rolling.

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #3,536 of 4,083
That’s really good to hear as I am getting the Pendant SE, now I really look forward to it
I got vintage tubes with pendant version 1, Zach sent it with a Baldwin 12au7 which is a great tube. I eventually tube rolled a bunch and my favorites are vintage Mazda 12au7, vintage Amperex el84 pair with a vintage Siemens rectifier tube. The JJ stock tubes are also ok, but are very neutral and the biggest change was the Mazda 12au7, gives you more sub bass and better air up top. Also the 12au7 tube gives you more usability with the volume knob since the pendant is a powerful amp. I switch to an Amperex 12at7 (6201) tube when using my lcd 4’s since they need a bit more power. Enjoy your new pendant it’s a great amp.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #3,537 of 4,083
Does the M15 pair well with FIIO's own FA9?

If yes, what switch settings?

Thanks.

Sorry I haven't tried that pairing but I would assume Fiio used their own headphones for testing.

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #3,538 of 4,083
I got vintage tubes with pendant version 1, Zach sent it with a Baldwin 12au7 which is a great tube. I eventually tube rolled a bunch and my favorites are vintage Mazda 12au7, vintage Amperex el84 pair with a vintage Siemens rectifier tube. The JJ stock tubes are also ok, but are very neutral and the biggest change was the Mazda 12au7, gives you more sub bass and better air up top. Also the 12au7 tube gives you more usability with the volume knob since the pendant is a powerful amp. I switch to an Amperex 12at7 (6201) tube when using my lcd 4’s since they need a bit more power. Enjoy your new pendant it’s a great amp.
any recommendation on what cable to purchase when do pair my M15 with Pendant?

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #3,539 of 4,083
any recommendation on what cable to purchase when do pair my M15 with Pendant?
I had an old Audioquest red cable that I tried with it, didn’t like how congested it sounded with the m15, but I tried it a few times, a few years ago with my mojo, never liked it so thought it was just the mojo. Guess it was the cable, I bought a Kimber Kable GQ-mini copper one and it sounds great. I know my local hifi shop stated Nordost also makes a great one, the Kimber was a better price point for the length I wanted, definitely happy with it.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #3,540 of 4,083
I had an old Audioquest red cable that I tried with it, didn’t like how congested it sounded with the m15, but I tried it a few times, a few years ago with my mojo, never liked it so thought it was just the mojo. Guess it was the cable, I bought a Kimber Kable GQ-mini copper one and it sounds great. I know my local hifi shop stated Nordost also makes a great one, the Kimber was a better price point for the length I wanted, definitely happy with it.
Also curious of what your setup looks like with your M15 and Pendant, I’m trying to think of how it will look like when I have it setup, probably going to buy a stand that plugs it into my PC too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back