FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jun 24, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,671 of 4,083
Can't speak for dx220max bimut for me the M15 is the better player compared to the DX220. Just a little better across the spectrum really. Others I know think differently and it could just be it suits my music preferences more.

For me, M15 is much ahead of DX220. Not just as sound but as a whole package.

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #2,672 of 4,083
Does anyone have Empire Ears IEMs (Valkyrie, Nemesis etc) paired with the M15?

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #2,673 of 4,083
For me, M15 is much ahead of DX220. Not just as sound but as a whole package.
Maybe I was being overly diplomatic.

On the whole its the best DAP I've owned. End game for me (never said that before!!)

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,674 of 4,083
I do wish fiio would come out with a Stainless Steal M15... and add something to make it special... like more memory or something cool... the M11pro SS and the M15 are top notch DAP players...

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #2,675 of 4,083
I do wish fiio would come out with a Stainless Steal M15... and add something to make it special... like more memory or something cool... the M11pro SS and the M15 are top notch DAP players...
To be fair the M15 is already special.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #2,679 of 4,083
Maybe I was being overly diplomatic.

On the whole its the best DAP I've owned. End game for me (never said that before!!)

iBasso platform is archaic. Since 2016 they have been using the same hardware platform, and the same PCB (!), except the amp. MAX even has the DX220 main board with an a larger amp connected. There is nothing wrong with that but it is not where it ends. Since 2016, they didn't even care to properly clean up their pull down menu system. "Location, auto-rotate, airplane mode, hotspot" menu items are still there which don't make any sense for a music player - it makes sense for mobile phones only, and there is no shortcut to USB DAC mode, gain etc. It might sound like small a small thing, but for me it just shows what kind of an attitude they have to the customer. They completely ignored my emails and questions, too.

I think there is also some shady relations going on in the background. It is a hype train. I was wrong to jump on it, not because MAX sounds bad (actually it sounds pretty good), more because the whole community is a cult rave kind of experience. No matter how they sound, I will stay away from them. That would be my recommendation to all other, too.

I appreciate the FiiO experience now even more. I am also waiting for something, for the DAC mode with Linux to be fixed, but in general FiiO is a 1000X more professional company.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #2,680 of 4,083
I have a different opinion about the profesionalism of Fiio but now I have another question :)
Has anyone tried Sennheiser 820, their closed back flagship, with M15? I'm bouncing between iems and closed backs and wondering how this, with its 300ohms might sound and if it's a good match considering they offer a 4.4mm cable.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #2,681 of 4,083
This is gonna be the ultimate test. Yesterday HEDD gave me a HEDDphone for a weekend drive. Unfortunately I don't have a balanced cable yet, so I can't try to its full potential (it only has a 6.35mm connector). I could try it only with my oppo 205, and it is very very good sounding HP. The worst thing about it is, it is very heavy.

I have to say, I am a HEDD fanboy. I bought HEDD speakers twice (upgrade) and absolutely love them. Yes, I use studio monitors even for the living room. :)

20200625_090619.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #2,682 of 4,083
I have a different opinion about the profesionalism of Fiio but now I have another question :)
Has anyone tried Sennheiser 820, their closed back flagship, with M15? I'm bouncing between iems and closed backs and wondering how this, with its 300ohms might sound and if it's a good match considering they offer a 4.4mm cable.

:) Then guess how bad iBasso can get. Anyway...

I have a HD800 and M15 can drive it very well, though I am not sure about HD820 would be the right choice in that family. I tested several HPs last week and D9200 was my favorite, and it was easy to drive. If you can bear the weight and size, HEDDphone also sounds great but I did not test them with M15 yet.

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #2,683 of 4,083
iBasso platform is archaic. Since 2016 they have been using the same hardware platform, and the same PCB (!), except the amp. MAX even has the DX220 main board with an a larger amp connected. There is nothing wrong with that but it is not where it ends. Since 2016, they didn't even care to properly clean up their pull down menu system. "Location, auto-rotate, airplane mode, hotspot" menu items are still there which don't make any sense for a music player - it makes sense for mobile phones only, and there is no shortcut to USB DAC mode, gain etc. It might sound like small a small thing, but for me it just shows what kind of an attitude they have to the customer. They completely ignored my emails and questions, too.

I think there is also some shady relations going on in the background. It is a hype train. I was wrong to jump on it, not because MAX sounds bad (actually it sounds pretty good), more because the whole community is a cult rave kind of experience. No matter how they sound, I will stay away from them. That would be my recommendation to all other, too.

I appreciate the FiiO experience now even more. I am also waiting for something, for the DAC mode with Linux to be fixed, but in general FiiO is a 1000X more professional company.
im liking fiio as well... they iterate... like a smartphone company NOT a slow moving DAP company.

does the MAX sound much better than the M15?

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #2,684 of 4,083
I'm enjoying my FiiO X5iii with my Sony MDR-Z1R's. Enjoying it more i think than my Sony TA-ZH1ES. Anyone using the M15 with the Z1R's and how are the comparison's with the X5iii ? Is it much of a significant upgrade ? SQ wise. Thanks.
im using the fiio the M15 with th Z1R. sounds great... better than mojopoly... more dynamic, body and air.... was thinking of getting a ibasso dx220 max to compare... i also have an LCD 4Z coming friday to try with the M15... I have a TT2 and Mscaler and 4Z sounds awesome on that... i have not been able to replicate the meatyness of this combo in a DAP yet... to me that would be the grail.
IMG_3301.jpg

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #2,685 of 4,083
im using the fiio the M15 with th Z1R. sounds great... better than mojopoly... more dynamic, body and air.... was thinking of getting a ibasso dx220 max to compare... i also have an LCD 4Z coming friday to try with the M15... I have a TT2 and Mscaler and 4Z sounds awesome on that... i have not been able to replicate the meatyness of this combo in a DAP yet... to me that would be the grail.IMG_3301.jpg

Thanks for those impressions. Even though i've had my Z1R's for a year now, up until recently i hadn't used my FiiO X5iii with it....it sort of got lost, put to one side....i've been so impressed with the detail, things i wasn't aware of before....so the thought that the M15 is even better, is tempting me even more so to pull the trigger on it...

Love your photo by the way....Batman figure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back