FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jun 22, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #2,646 of 4,083
does anyone know what the difference in FW 0604 vs FW 0610 is...
Dear user,

The 20200604 beta version has added the MQA support for most third party apps.So you could test via 0604 or 0610 firmware.

Best regards
@FiiO can you please post the release note for the 0610 beta? What are the changes / fixes from the 0604 beta?

On 0610 I am currently not getting over 96 on Tidal - except via UAPP, are you getting full 8x?
Same, I get 384k displayed in the status bar for 192k MQA file with UAPP / Tidal streaming, and the Tidal App playback shows 96k via status bar.

We haven't yet heard back from @FiiO as to what the status bar numbers mean specifically. :)
beta 0610 UAPP Tidal streaming.png
https://tidal.com/browse/track/77646085

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #2,647 of 4,083
Fiio said over at the M11pro that Tidal has an issue with the MQA and Tidal was notified they need to fix it.... but... as to MQA playback... the fiio info bar at the top reports the playback if its turned on but now the UAPP no longer reports via blue dot as UAPP folks claim they passed it all to the fiio unfolding... so fiio needs to add a blue dot at the info bar on the top so we know for sure MQA is decoded... I also notice if you have all to DSD checked then it doesn't seem correct on the info bar either... or fiio is converting every thing to DSD including MQA.??

Jun 22, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #2,648 of 4,083
I think what you see is correct, the issue is that uapp shows on the right side of MQA logo what's saved in meta data of each file. After all these updates, of fiio firmware and latest uapp changes, the real sample rate is the one shown by Direct label and on status bar of the player. And we get full unfold. The all to dsd conversion is off on my player. So they would enforce it against our will.
But seriously now, do you think there is any audible difference? Is the sound quality better after full unfold? I would say not.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #2,649 of 4,083
I think what you see is correct, the issue is that uapp shows on the right side of MQA logo what's saved in meta data of each file. After all these updates, of fiio firmware and latest uapp changes, the real sample rate is the one shown by Direct label and on status bar of the player. And we get full unfold. The all to dsd conversion is off on my player. So they would enforce it against our will.
But seriously now, do you think there is any audible difference? Is the sound quality better after full unfold? I would say not.

I would need a few days of intensive listening for that. I have done so with other dac/amps and I did notice a difference mostly in the vocal range and at peak trebles. It's a minor difference but I was able to pick out the unfolded file during a (short and unprofessional) blind test.
On the m15 I won't know for quite a while, and hence I also don't care as much 😅

Jun 22, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #2,650 of 4,083
I have read where the MQA file changes very little after the fourth unfold... so for my ears most likely I wouldn't be able to hear any differences...

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #2,651 of 4,083
On 0610 I am currently not getting over 96 on Tidal - except via UAPP, are you getting full 8x?
running Tidal via UAPP and the FW 0610 what I am seeing for MQA is Tidal showing MQA songs are unfolding to 4 and some songs are unfolding to 8... for example a song that is 44.1 is being unfolded to 352.8 (x8),
48 unfolding to 384(x8)... but 96 songs are unfolding to 384 (x4) ...

And on the Stand a lone Tidal app I'm only seeing a unfold of x2 for all MQA songs...

looks like UAPP is the way to go....

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #2,652 of 4,083
just did A/B with Tidal MQA VS UAPP TIDAL.

Higher bit rate with UAPP... and no question more air... 100% sounds better.

using MDR Z1R with Kimber cable. UAPP obviously doing better HW tuning... Tidal cares much less about FIIO users

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #2,653 of 4,083
Ok, thanks, I won't take the risk, I cannot test them unfortunately.

I am very sorry. I completely forgot about it. At least with my 9 ohm average A18t there is no audible difference. By the way, something like this could help with impedance problems, I guess. The price is a bit too high, but might be handy (there is also the 2.5mm version):

https://ifi-audio.com/products/iematch/

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #2,654 of 4,083
Jun 23, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #2,655 of 4,083
just did A/B with Tidal MQA VS UAPP TIDAL.

Higher bit rate with UAPP... and no question more air... 100% sounds better.

using MDR Z1R with Kimber cable. UAPP obviously doing better HW tuning... Tidal cares much less about FIIO users
I think you captured the description perfect " more air " .... the UAPP MQA sounds better than the native Tidal App...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back