FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jun 20, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #2,627 of 4,083
No idea, probably not but there are users here saying M15 is better or at list on par with sp2000 in terms of sound quality and overall experience, probably the price difference plays some role in this comparison..
Yes and some are saying that Santa claus is on is chimney in the night of 24 of December, the M15 is very good, for the price, better than sp2000....?if makes some people feel good, ok keep thinking like that, in this forum people say many things, some things are not true, is life...

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #2,628 of 4,083
The sp2000 does not get hot at all. Sp1000 with amp can get hot. But if just sp1000 then it does not. Neither does the Sony Wm1z get hot. The fiio m15 does get hot even with out case. Currently using the Dd hifi case and that does get hot. Lastly if I put it in another case on top of the leather case. Machine said that it had to stop as it was too hot. I will do unboxing and then review of m15 before I compare the players I have. Don’t have the Wm1z now. Got the m15 instead.

arionsreview

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #2,629 of 4,083
Any idea how to connect my mobile's (Note10+) USB-C out to the M15 USB-C port? It detects the phone for a second or two, then disconnects.

If you want to use the player as a USB DAC, unfortunately M15 tries to draw too much power from you mobile phone and because of that, it cuts the connection. Disabling the charging does not help in the USB DAC mode, which kind of sucks. So, I would recommend to you to use the BT DAC mode with LDAC, instead of the USB DAC mode.

By the way, it was reported long time ago but as I understand a fix (disabling the charging in USB DAC mode) is not possible.

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #2,631 of 4,083
I have the possibility to buy some iems having 6ohms impedance, very sensitive I guess, Rhapsodio Zombie. Considering the powerful amping M15 has, would there be any matching issues? The reviews say these iems have big, speaker like, bass, afraid it might distort it.

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #2,632 of 4,083
Any idea how to connect my mobile's (Note10+) USB-C out to the M15 USB-C port? It detects the phone for a second or two, then disconnects.
If you want to use the player as a USB DAC, unfortunately M15 tries to draw too much power from you mobile phone and because of that, it cuts the connection. Disabling the charging does not help in the USB DAC mode, which kind of sucks. So, I would recommend to you to use the BT DAC mode with LDAC, instead of the USB DAC mode.

By the way, it was reported long time ago but as I understand a fix (disabling the charging in USB DAC mode) is not possible.
It isn't working for me either.

I see something different though. With "Disable battery charging" enabled I get a sync up in USB DAC mode with my phone but I am not getting any sound out of my M15 through connected headphones - it doesn't work.

The M15 only syncs up if I have "Over the Ear" headphone mode enabled + "Disable battery charging."

If I uncheck "Disable battery charging" the M15 doesn't sync up, the M15 USB Mode display says "Device not connected".

The whole point of the "Disable battery charging" option is for USB DAC mode for devices that don't respond well to a DAC taking too much power. Is the M15 broken when trying to connect to an iPhone / iPad in USB DAC mode too? This is surprising and very disappointing...

@FiiO why isn't M15 USB DAC mode working with a Samsung S20 Ultra? USB DAC mode works with the BTR5 / BTR3k with the Samsung S20 Ultra and my Samsung Note 10+.

I probably won't need this to work, the whole point of getting an Android DAP is to work independent of my Android phone, but USB DAC mode should work with my phone / tablet - like the M15 USB DAC mode works with my PC.
FiiO M15 USB DAC mode connected to Samsung S20 Ultra Streaming Tidal.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,633 of 4,083
So I am on the latest beta firmware and I had my M15 powered down and it was at 80% battery when turned off. I plugged it in this morning because I wanted to top it off and it showed charging. When I turned it on over an hour later it said that charging was disabled and the battery was at 35%. I checked the settings and disable charging wasn't selected. So I did a factory reset thinking that would help. I had it plugged in and charging and just went to check and it wasn't charging anymore. It seems that my M15 randomly stops charging now and also might have something that is severely draining the battery.

I am using an Anker 30 watt pd charger and an Anker USB-C to USB-C cable. I've never had these issues with this charger and cable before with the M15 so I don't think that is the issue.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,634 of 4,083
So I am on the latest beta firmware and I had my M15 powered down and it was at 80% battery when turned off. I plugged it in this morning because I wanted to top it off and it showed charging. When I turned it on over an hour later it said that charging was disabled and the battery was at 35%. I checked the settings and disable charging wasn't selected. So I did a factory reset thinking that would help. I had it plugged in and charging and just went to check and it wasn't charging anymore. It seems that my M15 randomly stops charging now and also might have something that is severely draining the battery.

I am using an Anker 30 watt pd charger and an Anker USB-C to USB-C cable. I've never had these issues with this charger and cable before with the M15 so I don't think that is the issue.
tl;dr: I need to reboot between changing "disable battery charging" from checked to unchecked, otherwise the M15 charging doesn't change. Running 0610 beta firmware.

Interesting, I'm running 0610 BETA on my M15, and it is charging with "disable battery charging" Enabled!

The M15 was at about 80% when I put it on the DK1 dock after playing with USB DAC mode on my Samsung S20 Ultra. I had left "disable battery charging" Enabled and I checked now and the M15 is at 100%, so it was charging when it wasn't supposed to be charging.

I've unchecked "disable battery charging" to see if my M15 charges, or not. I'll update here later. First I have to deplete the charge...

Update: Ran the M15 battery down to 90%, "disable battery charging" was unchecked, and it wouldn't charge on the DK1 dock or with a direct USB-C plugged in. The battery icon was plain, no charge symbol through it.

So I enabled "disable battery charging" to see if that might trigger charging again like last time. No charging icon change - no battery % increase.

So I thought perhaps the change of the "disable battery charging" might need a reboot to take effect. And, a reboot worked. When the M15 came up there was an alert warning me that the "disable battery charging" was enabled.

So I unchecked "disable battery charging" again, but again the battery icon wouldn't show charging "bolt" through the battery icon, and the % of battery charge didn't change. So rebooted again.

That did it, now the M15 came up with the "bolt" through the battery icon and the M15 battery is up from 89% to 93% after a few minutes.

On 0610 at least, we need to reboot between changing the "disable battery charging" setting for the change to take effect.

@FiiO - please fix this so we can change "disable battery charging" on the fly without requiring a reboot :)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #2,636 of 4,083

I see something different though. With "Disable battery charging" enabled I get a sync up in USB DAC mode with my phone but I am not getting any sound out of my M15 through connected headphones - it doesn't work.

The M15 only syncs up if I have "Over the Ear" headphone mode enabled + "Disable battery charging."

If I uncheck "Disable battery charging" the M15 doesn't sync up, the M15 USB Mode display says "Device not connected".

The whole point of the "Disable battery charging" option is for USB DAC mode for devices that don't respond well to a DAC taking too much power. Is the M15 broken when trying to connect to an iPhone / iPad in USB DAC mode too? This is surprising and very disappointing...

@FiiO why isn't M15 USB DAC mode working with a Samsung S20 Ultra? USB DAC mode works with the BTR5 / BTR3k with the Samsung S20 Ultra and my Samsung Note 10+.

I probably won't need this to work, the whole point of getting an Android DAP is to work independent of my Android phone, but USB DAC mode should work with my phone / tablet - like the M15 USB DAC mode works with my PC.
FiiO M15 USB DAC mode connected to Samsung S20 Ultra Streaming Tidal.jpg

This may or may not be relevant.

Samsung do not guarantee that all USB devices will work on their handsets. There are plenty of threads with people complaining over the last couple of years on the EU/UK Samsung community boards.

Plenty of DACs have issues with popping noises etc, I can only get my Dragonfly Cobalt to work properly using UAPP. Samsung have acknowledged the issue but have not come forward with a fix.

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #2,637 of 4,083
This may or may not be relevant.

Samsung do not guarantee that all USB devices will work on their handsets. There are plenty of threads with people complaining over the last couple of years on the EU/UK Samsung community boards.

Plenty of DACs have issues with popping noises etc, I can only get my Dragonfly Cobalt to work properly using UAPP. Samsung have acknowledged the issue but have not come forward with a fix.
Thank you, that's good background on Samsung to be aware of :)

I was thinking more of how the recent FiiO BTR3k / FiiO BTR5 both work fine in USB DAC mode on the same Samsung S20 Ultra / Note 10+ and that the FiiO BTR5 uses the same XMOS XU208 USB interface as the FiiO M15 - so what's up with that? @FiiO ?

I haven't tried the M11 / M11 Pro on Samsung phones, perhaps someone with experience getting them to work in USB DAC mode could speak up?

The M15 is the 3rd in that DAP series, so if the M11 / M11 Pro work with the Samsung - "disable battery charging" / USB DAC mode, I would expect the M15 as the successor to also work. Perhaps this is what you were speaking up about?

Like I said, I probably don't need the M15 to work with my phone / tablet directly in USB DAC mode - I can transfer files to my M15 or use BT - but I would have expected the M15 to work the same as other recent FiiO AMP/DAC's.

Thanks again for the background on the Samsung side :)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #2,638 of 4,083

Wait a minute... This is exactly what is happening when I connect the M15 in DAC mode to my Linux system. Android is also Linux based, maybe that is the reason? I guess FiiO needs to fix the Linux DAC mode sooner or later.

When I connect it to iPad it works fine.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #2,639 of 4,083
I have the possibility to buy some iems having 6ohms impedance, very sensitive I guess, Rhapsodio Zombie. Considering the powerful amping M15 has, would there be any matching issues? The reviews say these iems have big, speaker like, bass, afraid it might distort it.

FiiO recommends >=16 ohms for HP / IEM impedance but I am not sure how correct it is, because it is the same for all M11/Pro and M15, and they all have different output impedances. Normally the impedance of the HP / IEM is not constant and especially for a hybrid / multi driver setup it is all over the place - can easily swing between 1 ohm to 15 ohm, although its average is 8 ohms, and that impedance acts as an EQ on the sound and to which degree it EQs the sound is based on the output impedance of the player. That might be the reason why some people prefer the sound of M11 or M11Pro to M15, for sensitive IEMs.

I think it would be a hit and miss. I am fine with listening to A18t with M15, but it sounds a bit more balanced when I use SA900 as amp to M15, which has 0.3 ohm output impedance.

https://fiio.com/m15_parameters
https://fiio.com/m11_parameters
https://fiio.com/m11pro_parameters

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back