FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Apr 5, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #1,922 of 4,083
As for me, I finally returned this crap to my distributor who gave me a full refund. I wish I could tell you that I might buy back the fiio one day, but I seriously doubt it. Static **** off, they can't even put up a decent screen.

I feel for you that you had a bad experience with what sounds like a bad batch from your distributor, its really frustrating, I had the same with a Cayin model where the WiFi constantly interfered with music playback, everybody else saying just turn it off.....why should I was my thought, it was an advertised feature. Like you with Fiio I will never buy a Cayin product again as even though I know the two models I tried from the same supplier were from the same batch, it dented my confidence in Cayin.

In fairness to Fiio, my screen is perfect, no issues whatsoever, only fair to strike a balance.

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #1,923 of 4,083
I am also very satisfied with the M15. My screen is flawless.

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,925 of 4,083
I feel for you that you had a bad experience with what sounds like a bad batch from your distributor, its really frustrating, I had the same with a Cayin model where the WiFi constantly interfered with music playback, everybody else saying just turn it off.....why should I was my thought, it was an advertised feature. Like you with Fiio I will never buy a Cayin product again as even though I know the two models I tried from the same supplier were from the same batch, it dented my confidence in Cayin.

In fairness to Fiio, my screen is perfect, no issues whatsoever, only fair to strike a balance.

One reason why I ditched Cayin was the lack of support. Cayin N8 seems to have a problem with the EU Samsung Note9 Bluetooth pairing (it has a different chipset and BT software stack from the US model). It works perfectly fine with other mobile phones, and Note9 works perfectly fine, with WM1Z and DX220. And I needed the LDAC BT pairing for Qobuz.

I liked that N8 sound very *very* much and I was ready to sell my mobile phone and buy another one but first wanted to contact Cayin and see what can be done. I told them that I can help them to debug it and collect logs etc. But they simply told me that it is working for them and ignored the issue I had. _Maybe_ it is an issue really with the Note9 but just saying "we read the code and it looks OK to us" is not an acceptable thing for a €3500 device.

A&K had character rendering problems I reported on SP1000, and one year after I reported them, they were still not fixed. They promised to deliver LDAC BT receiver mode and told me that it is on the TODO list and I bought the KANN Cube based on that, but again they didn't keep their promise.

So unfortunately these kind of things happen all over the place.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,926 of 4,083
My first post here.

I listened to the M15 a few weeks ago and I simply loved it. Great dynamics, great sound signature, smooth UI, I personaly like the design and it's a perfect pairing with my Earsonics Grace.
Only downside for me: it won't be available for a few weeks in The Netherlands. Still worth waiting for.

I'm coming from a Chord Mojo, stacked with a Fiio M6. Listened to Fiio M11 Pro, Hiby R6Pro and A&K Norma for comparison. Found the M15 to be far superior to all of them. I used the same test tracks on Tidal.

Just thinking about recieving my own M15 makes me all giddy inside! Fingers crossed for a shipment to the Netherlands anytime soon.

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #1,927 of 4,083
Finally got my hands on a M15 from a fellow Head-fi member. OMG, you can't touch this thing without inadvertently pressing a button or a setting on screen LOL! I swear even if I look at it funny something triggers. Form factor is bigger than I imagined and weight is substantial for a DAP that has an aluminum chassis. Probably the best screen I've seen on a DAP. No question this will get mistaken for smartphone by the general public.

On to sound - my #1 reason to get this was in hopes it would pair well with my EE Wraith which has proven to be a real PITA to pair. There's something about the low 4 ohm input impedance that defies conventions and actually sounds worse with lower output impedance sources I've tried. My first clue this may work with M15 is from a Fiio Q5s which sounded ok with its' 2 ohm output impedance, but still not as clean and airy as I've heard on higher output sources.

Well, with the 3 ohm (probably closer to 4 imho) rated output impedance of the M15 I can say with 100% certainty that EE Wraith now sounds fantastic and really shows what it can do. No hiss or noise to boot! I would imagine thought that IEMs with less than 20 ohm input impedance would get the opposite effect - muddy lows and rolled off treble.

Will post some impressions and comparisons in the near future. All my IEMs and headphone are north of 20 ohm input impedance so don't expect any matching issues.

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #1,928 of 4,083
Finally got my hands on a M15 from a fellow Head-fi member. OMG, you can't touch this thing without inadvertently pressing a button or a setting on screen LOL! I swear even if I look at it funny something triggers. Form factor is bigger than I imagined and weight is substantial for a DAP that has an aluminum chassis. Probably the best screen I've seen on a DAP. No question this will get mistaken for smartphone by the general public.

On to sound - my #1 reason to get this was in hopes it would pair well with my EE Wraith which has proven to be a real PITA to pair. There's something about the low 4 ohm input impedance that defies conventions and actually sounds worse with lower output impedance sources I've tried. My first clue this may work with M15 is from a Fiio Q5s which sounded ok with its' 2 ohm output impedance, but still not as clean and airy as I've heard on higher output sources.

Well, with the 3 ohm (probably closer to 4 imho) rated output impedance of the M15 I can say with 100% certainty that EE Wraith now sounds fantastic and really shows what it can do. No hiss or noise to boot! I would imagine thought that IEMs with less than 20 ohm input impedance would get the opposite effect - muddy lows and rolled off treble.

Will post some impressions and comparisons in the near future. All my IEMs and headphone are north of 20 ohm input impedance so don't expect any matching issues.

Output impedance of the player should not play a big role, other than drop of the volume level, if the IEM itself has a close to uniform impedance graph. Normally such a hybrid IEM would have an impedance all over the place, but the very low impedance level on this IEM hints some kind of a strong impedance matching applied, which could flatten the impedance curve and minimise the output impedance effects. Also EE uses "7 proprietary BAs", which could mean that they could have tried to impedance match them with the ES drivers. Just a guess.

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #1,929 of 4,083
Output impedance of the player should not play a big role, other than drop of the volume level, if the IEM itself has a close to uniform impedance graph. Normally such a hybrid IEM would have an impedance all over the place, but the very low impedance level on this IEM hints some kind of a strong impedance matching applied, which could flatten the impedance curve and minimise the output impedance effects. Also EE uses "7 proprietary BAs", which could mean that they could have tried to impedance match them with the ES drivers. Just a guess.

That's my thinking too - EE uses unique crossover designs with their proprietary BAs and that is generally where the output impedance effects come into play for multi-BA IEMs. Also the new e-stat drivers on the Wraith most likely don't follow the same behavior as BAs. I've posted on the EE thread to see if somebody from EE can offer an explanation.

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,930 of 4,083
That's my thinking too - EE uses unique crossover designs with their proprietary BAs and that is generally where the output impedance effects come into play for multi-BA IEMs. Also the new e-stat drivers on the Wraith most likely don't follow the same behavior as BAs. I've posted on the EE thread to see if somebody from EE can offer an explanation.

I guess otherwise it would not make sense to release a 4 ohms IEM - even the most expensive portables have more than 1 ohm output impedance. Anyway, if it sounds good, that is all that matters. :)

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,931 of 4,083
With the latest firmware, anyone get Apple Music to work? I can't get past the sign in part. Just ignores each time I try to sign in. Can view and browse just fine though.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,932 of 4,083
Finally got my hands on a M15 from a fellow Head-fi member. OMG, you can't touch this thing without inadvertently pressing a button or a setting on screen LOL! I swear even if I look at it funny something triggers.

Same! It felt quite awkard holding it, because I didn't want to push any buttons by mistake. Shrugged it off as clumsiness on my part, but it seems it's not just me, thank God! Still hope that my grip will improve with time. Can anyone comment on the hold button? Is it any good?

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #1,933 of 4,083
Same! It felt quite awkard holding it, because I didn't want to push any buttons by mistake. Shrugged it off as clumsiness on my part, but it seems it's not just me, thank God! Still hope that my grip will improve with time. Can anyone comment on the hold button? Is it any good?

Hold button is quite useful and you can configure what it holds in the menus, including the volume. With hold I lock everything except the Play/Pause. Also gripping it from the lower part (when unlocked) where there are no buttons helps. It is just needs to be the habit. I think the sensitivity issue might be solved with a case.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,934 of 4,083
Also the latest firmware ensures the hold button works as it should.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #1,935 of 4,083
Hold button is quite useful and you can configure what it holds in the menus, including the volume. With hold I lock everything except the Play/Pause. Also gripping it from the lower part (when unlocked) where there are no buttons helps. It is just needs to be the habit. I think the sensitivity issue might be solved with a case.
Also the latest firmware ensures the hold button works as it should.

Sounds good! Had the feeling that the grip and sensitivity of the buttons, was something that I would get used to. It's good to hear that the hold-button is also working. Going to keep an eye on cases! Saw a few passing by in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back