FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Mar 4, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,546 of 4,083
Mar 4, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,547 of 4,083
Mar 4, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,549 of 4,083
Sometimes the Fiio app closes on its own when I work on the equalizer. Does this ever happen to you?

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,553 of 4,083
As of uapp vs fiio's app, what's the major feature that uapp provides but fiio's app doesn't? For me I am using uapp on my phone but forced to use fiio's on m15 and embarrassingly I couldn't "feel" much difference in my day to day usage.

Mar 4, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #1,554 of 4,083
Quick question: Is it a coincidence or is there a reason that A&K, Cayin, and now Fiio all use AK chips on their flagship daps?

I am not sure if it is because AKM is really the best, but maybe the most adequate for a smaller package design.

I don't have the datasheets in front of me and I am too lazy to dig into them at this time of the day, but ES9028PRO is an 8 channel chip with DSD1024 support, whereas AK4499EQ is 4 channel with max. DSD512. ES9038PRO on the other hand is with 4 times the output stage of 9028PRO giving it extreme SNR values.

Remember the beast called KANN Cube with 2x ES9038PRO? It sounds great but it is massive. And they suck the life out of the battery. And that still does not mean that it is using the DACs to their full potentials, as both ES9028PRO and ES9038PRO are desktop chips with lots of configuration possibilities.

In the end, it could be that:

- AK chips are more suitable for smaller package designs (less power and less heat).
- They could be easier to make business deals with.
- It could be that for a portable design, it just doesn't make any difference to use the ES9038PRO chips.
- Psychological effects, that people want to see dual DAC designs and only the TOTL models for TOTL players, although a dual ES9028PRO or even a single one would be enough.

Still it could be that AKM chip based designs sound better for more people, but the parameters are so many that I would prefer not to call AKM chips to be better as they are used more often for portables, or call ESS chips better because they support more channels and DSD1024.

Mar 4, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,555 of 4,083
As of uapp vs fiio's app, what's the major feature that uapp provides but fiio's app doesn't? For me I am using uapp on my phone but forced to use fiio's on m15 and embarrassingly I couldn't "feel" much difference in my day to day usage.
At the moment, as I said, with the trial version, I don't know if uapp is using the full potential of m15 but it still sounds massive. Even though it doesn't detect hi res dac, it says it uses Android driver, hopefully it's the akm itself. Eq of fiio app is a joke, it breaks the sounds, I raise highs, sound gets all highs and volume of all other frequencies goes down. Same for bass. It's not balanced at all, idk how it got out like this. Better without it. After using it with other daps, lg v20/30 and a few usb dacs, the real power of uapp is the excellent sound processing, eq-ing, bit perfect mode, mqa. Tidal app was and still is weaker then streaming tidal via uapp even though it was recently improved.
There is a huge thread here on head-fi about uapp, please check it if you have patience :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #1,556 of 4,083
I am not sure if it is because AKM is really the best, but maybe the most adequate for a smaller package design.

I don't have the datasheets in front of me and I am too lazy to dig into them at this time of the day, but ES9028PRO is an 8 channel chip with DSD1024 support, whereas AK4499EQ is 4 channel with max. DSD512. ES9038PRO on the other hand is with 4 times the output stage of 9028PRO giving it extreme SNR values.

Remember the beast called KANN Cube with 2x ES9038PRO? It sounds great but it is massive. And they suck the life out of the battery. And that still does not mean that it is using the DACs to their full potentials, as both ES9028PRO and ES9038PRO are desktop chips with lots of configuration possibilities.

In the end, it could be that:

- AK chips are more suitable for smaller package designs (less power and less heat).
- They could be easier to make business deals with.
- It could be that for a portable design, it just doesn't make any difference to use the ES9038PRO chips.
- Psychological effects, that people want to see dual DAC designs and only the TOTL models for TOTL players, although a dual ES9028PRO or even a single one would be enough.

Still it could be that AKM chip based designs sound better for more people, but the parameters are so many that I would prefer not to call AKM chips to be better as they are used more often for portables, or call ESS chips better because they support more channels and DSD1024.

AKM probably designed with daps in mind. Hard to imagine which headphone needs dual 9038pro. But on bigger systems my impression is there are more using ess than akm. Thanks for the great information!

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #1,557 of 4,083
At the moment, as I said, with the trial version, I don't know if uapp is using the full potential of m15 but it still sounds massive. Even though it doesn't detect hi res dac, it says it uses Android driver, hopefully it's the akm itself. Eq of fiio app is a joke, it breaks the sounds, I raise highs, sound gets all highs and volume of all other frequencies goes down. Same for bass. It's not balanced at all, idk how it got out like this. Better without it. After using it with other daps, lg v20/30 and a few usb dacs, the real power of uapp is the excellent sound processing, eq-ing, bit perfect mode, mqa. Tidal app was and still is weaker then streaming tidal via uapp even though it was recently improved.
There is a huge thread here on head-fi about uapp, please check it if you have patience :)

I don't do eq, bit perfect, mqa, or streaming, at least not yet, so maybe that's why I haven't noticed much. Might try that later.

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #1,558 of 4,083
I don't do eq, bit perfect, mqa, or streaming, at least not yet, so maybe that's why I haven't noticed much. Might try that later.
Just white bread and butter and not toasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back