FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Mar 3, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,487 of 4,083
So I want to eventually use M15 as a DAC on my smartphone (Android) for my UAPP/MQA needs (other than that will use it standalone). What cable do I need to do so?
you will need a usb cable,but what’s the point....any smartphone’s USB port playback would not be as good as m15’s own system playback. As for uapp, you can root the m15 and get uapp installed.

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #1,489 of 4,083
So I want to eventually use M15 as a DAC on my smartphone (Android) for my UAPP/MQA needs (other than that will use it standalone). What cable do I need to do so?

A standard USB-C to USB-C cable should work, _BUT_ looks like there is a problem there. When I connect the M15 to my mobile phone, it tries to charge and my mobile phone warns me about high current draw from the connected device. I disabled the charging from the settings and it seems to work in standart Android mode, but going back to DAC mode, it tries to charge again (not taking into account the 'disable charging' setting) and is rejected by my mobile phone. I think this is a bug. Something like this should work:

https://www.amazon.de/UGREEN-Delivery-Schnellladekabel-kompatibel-MateBook/dp/B07PLSDPYN/

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #1,490 of 4,083
A standard USB-C to USB-C cable should work, _BUT_ looks like there is a problem there. When I connect the M15 to my mobile phone, it tries to charge and my mobile phone warns me about high current draw from the connected device. I disabled the charging from the settings and it seems to work in standart Android mode, but going back to DAC mode, it tries to charge again (not taking into account the 'disable charging' setting) and is rejected by my mobile phone. I think this is a bug. Something like this should work:

https://www.amazon.de/UGREEN-Delivery-Schnellladekabel-kompatibel-MateBook/dp/B07PLSDPYN/

I don't know if there is any difference, but for some cables it says charging cable (maybe they omitted/removed the data lines?) and for some data cable:

https://www.amazon.de/deleyCON-MK1049-USB-3-0-Kabel-Schwarz/dp/B07252PF8G/

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #1,491 of 4,083
Hi @FiiO, @JamesFiiO

[BUG] When I try to use the USB DAC mode, the "disable charging" option in the settings seems to be ignored. My mobile phone complains about the USB device drawing too much current.

[IMPROVEMENT] Would it be possible to implement gradual increase of the volume (maybe by using the digital volume control of the DAC) when a new headphone / IEM is inserted? Especially for the case when the line-out mode is selected. There is a warning when switching the mode, but if someone forgets that the system is in line out mode, the volume can be dangerously high. That is also an issue, if you have a high impedance headphone and then turn it off and later turn on and start using an IEM and if the IEMs are already in your ears.

For the line out case, a warning and/or a gradual, slow volume increase (as said using the digital volume controls of the DACs) when a cable is inserted into the unbalanced port. For the other ports, a gradual increase of the volume, so there is time to react if the IEM is already in the ear and the volume is set to too high.

[IMPROVEMENT] Would it be possible to add the currently played audio stream sample/bit rate to be displayed on the top of the screen (e.g. next to the volume) - especially when using a streaming service? Like the same information that is being displayed for the DAC mode?

[IMPROVEMENT] Would it be possible to add a short adjustable delay for the hardware buttons? Some people complain that the buttons are too sensitive and this could be a workaround for that.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,493 of 4,083
Right. Couldn't find such audio cards. And, certainly those tiny little computer speakers won't make it, except maybe just a bit more dynamics.
I have an ASUS XONAR D2X, which is considered audiophile grade, but nowhere close to M15, of course. Tried the M15 as DAC but couldnt notice any difference with my 140€ Logitech speakers, which is to be expected :)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #1,494 of 4,083
I am expecting my M15 here soon but I would like to ask how you guys feel the M15 does with IEMs. I get that that the M15 does extremely well with cans but I use IEMs mostly and is more conenient on my end to use IEMs on the go.

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #1,496 of 4,083
I am seeing that actual fans of the M15 are all using/ burning their players. There is little doubt in my mind that the Fiio M15 needs a good amount of run in.

Anybody try out sensitive stuff using the M15?. I have a few IEMs that are 10 ohms or less that require a nice black background.

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,497 of 4,083
I am seeing that actual fans of the M15 are all using/ burning their players. There is little doubt in my mind that the Fiio M15 needs a good amount of run in.

Anybody try out sensitive stuff using the M15?. I have a few IEMs that are 10 ohms or less that require a nice black background.

A few weeks ago I tested U12t, U18t, Lola, Roxy, Elysium and VE8. I am not really a hiss sensitive person, as I sometimes listen to very old recordings which are recovered from old vinyls. Only VE8 did have a noticable hiss for me. I tested the VE8 also with SHA900 which is a very good portable amp with 0.35 ohm output impedance. Even with that I noticed some hiss using VE8 (though I liked VE8 as an IEM).

Lola and Roxy, I didn't really listen for long, as the sound signature was not something I liked. U18t and U12t were -for me- hiss free. At least I didn't notice anything like I did with VE8.

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #1,498 of 4,083

Yes, M5 and A18t. Background is hiss free

Mar 3, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,500 of 4,083

Compared with what they have I got a more mundane 9 ohm iem in the form of a se846. Can't here any hiss.

As of burning in. Unlike many who want to reduce a bit of warmth or control the bass better or the likes, I merely do this because this is what they (the audiophiles) do and I want to take this machine more seriously. I like what it offered in sound quality from the very first track I listened to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back