[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Aug 27, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #931 of 2,988
So after some more extensive listening to the M11 plus, I share the same thoughts as some others have shared here: it really sounds better than the M11 pro. I’ve been listening to it using Radiance, FH7, D2K and some others in between. I’ll share some initial thoughts:

- It should have same power output, but it seems to drive my PRO900’s better than the pro did.
- it makes my D2K sing like there’s no tomorrow! The pro would make them sound a bit light and boring. With the plus, there’s much more meat on the bones of the sound and the holographic nature of the D2K shines through much better.
- The FH7 could be a bit bright on the pro, and they react similar as above; much meatier presentation and the higher registers are very detailled still, but much better in balance with the rest of the spectrum.
- With the Radiance the low-end impact is much tighter, more ‘slam’ and just more enjoyable. It does seem a tad more, but more controlled than with the pro at the same time.

These are still first impressions, and I haven’t got the pro here to compare directly, but I tried my best to describe my feelings as accurately as I can. My main takeaway is that the plus makes me enjoy all my cans and iem’s more than the pro was able to. The pro was great technically, but the plus adds the ‘excitement’ back on top of that!

Cheers!

Thanks for the impressions!

I have some initial impressions as well but still want to add another 50 hours of burn in to make sure clocks are stabilized and analog circuitry is settled in. However, I think the most obvious characteristic is just how clean the M11+ sounds. Noise and THD are basically zero so a lot of space in-between instruments and notes. Depending on what one was listening to before, this level of clean may or may not be appealing. I remember the Drop THX amp had a mixed reaction of the "transparent" crowd versus "boring" crowd. I say this to help set expectations of future M11+ owners. For those considering and also looking for that "euphoric" or "emotional" sound, M11+ will not give you that. I would recommend Sony instead with their DSP features like phase and vinyl options on top of the Sony house sound. On the flip side, those looking for an accurate clean source as a blank slate to pair with specific headphones or even amps (with line out feature), then M11+ is hard to beat unless you can spend more than $2K.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #932 of 2,988
So after some more extensive listening to the M11 plus, I share the same thoughts as some others have shared here: it really sounds better than the M11 pro. I’ve been listening to it using Radiance, FH7, D2K and some others in between. I’ll share some initial thoughts:

- It should have same power output, but it seems to drive my PRO900’s better than the pro did.
- it makes my D2K sing like there’s no tomorrow! The pro would make them sound a bit light and boring. With the plus, there’s much more meat on the bones of the sound and the holographic nature of the D2K shines through much better.
- The FH7 could be a bit bright on the pro, and they react similar as above; much meatier presentation and the higher registers are very detailled still, but much better in balance with the rest of the spectrum.
- With the Radiance the low-end impact is much tighter, more ‘slam’ and just more enjoyable. It does seem a tad more, but more controlled than with the pro at the same time.

These are still first impressions, and I haven’t got the pro here to compare directly, but I tried my best to describe my feelings as accurately as I can. My main takeaway is that the plus makes me enjoy all my cans and iem’s more than the pro was able to. The pro was great technically, but the plus adds the ‘excitement’ back on top of that!

Cheers!

Same here. The Plus seems to power my SRH1540 way better and opens them right up.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #933 of 2,988
Is anyone having problems with The M11+ not initializing with Roon when you press play?

It loads and gets to the point being able to select a track / album but pressing play it then comes back the M11+ failed to initialize.

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #934 of 2,988
Is anyone having problems with The M11+ not initializing with Roon when you press play?

It loads and gets to the point being able to select a track / album but pressing play it then comes back the M11+ failed to initialize.
That happens when I use the Roon app from the Fiio store as it's an old version, 1.6 if I recall. I logged into Google Play store and downloaded the Roon Labs apk, v 1.8. I control Roon from the M11 itself and it works fine, albeit with a small time gap between songs when changing albums. If the songs play from the same album, no issue.

Aug 27, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #935 of 2,988
That happens when I use the Roon app from the Fiio store as it's an old version, 1.6 if I recall. I logged into Google Play store and downloaded the Roon Labs apk, v 1.8. I control Roon from the M11 itself and it works fine, albeit with a small time gap between songs when changing albums. If the songs play from the same album, no issue.
I did that first and it work off and on so I uninstalled it and then did the download from the FiiO store with the accompanying warning and then did a Google Play store update to the latest version but no go yet using this method. I will uninstall and a fresh again with the Play Store app.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #936 of 2,988
Just received my M11 Plus Ltd, customized my setup including addition of the BubbleUPnP renderer/control point app, and I'm now facing some issues:

- Fiio Music App can't connect to the DLNA server Minimserver v2.0.12, get a "Get info fail!" error <= BubbleUPnP connects and plays back from same server no problem. Update: Fiio Music App will connect to Universal Media Server - but for now my primary DLNA server is Minimserver, which the Shanling Music App has no problem connecting to either.
- Playback volume is way too low!! Have tested with Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro (250ohm), Denon AH-D1100 (30ohm) and Sony IER-M9 iem's (20ohm). Must crank volume to above 60 steps and it's still only moderate volume. At 90 steps it's only moderately-loud! Even with a 120-step volume calibration, 90/120 is 75% - at 500mW output that should be hurting me through all these headphones. I've tried both DLNA and local files - makes no difference, playback volume waay too low. These same files play back to ear-damaging levels on my hifi stereo, headphone amps, Shanling M6 Pro and even through my Macbook Pro. W.t.f. up!?

Any insight appreciated. cc @FiiO

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #937 of 2,988
Screenshot_20210827-221739.png
Screenshot_20210827-222944.png

The newest UAPP beta version is already supported M11 Plus, but sadly it only supports PCM output. Neutron is also facing the same issue but with no output sound.
I think this is the firmware problem. I Hope @FiiO will fix it soon.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #938 of 2,988
Thanks for the impressions!

I have some initial impressions as well but still want to add another 50 hours of burn in to make sure clocks are stabilized and analog circuitry is settled in. However, I think the most obvious characteristic is just how clean the M11+ sounds. Noise and THD are basically zero so a lot of space in-between instruments and notes. Depending on what one was listening to before, this level of clean may or may not be appealing. I remember the Drop THX amp had a mixed reaction of the "transparent" crowd versus "boring" crowd. I say this to help set expectations of future M11+ owners. For those considering and also looking for that "euphoric" or "emotional" sound, M11+ will not give you that. I would recommend Sony instead with their DSP features like phase and vinyl options on top of the Sony house sound. On the flip side, those looking for an accurate clean source as a blank slate to pair with specific headphones or even amps (with line out feature), then M11+ is hard to beat unless you can spend more than $2K.
How does this compare with iDSD Signature? On pure SQ terms? And do you use M11+ as transport to Signature?

Aug 28, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #939 of 2,988
I did that first and it work off and on so I uninstalled it and then did the download from the FiiO store with the accompanying warning and then did a Google Play store update to the latest version but no go yet using this method. I will uninstall and a fresh again with the Play Store app.
Uninstalled again and reinstalled using Google Play Store. As before finds my Roon Core but fails to play after hitting play button and reports the device fail to initialize. Roon showed the M11+ which I selected but still fails. @FiiO any input on what may be happening?

Aug 28, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #940 of 2,988
Uninstalled again and reinstalled using Google Play Store. As before finds my Roon Core but fails to play after hitting play button and reports the device fail to initialize. Roon showed the M11+ which I selected but still fails. @FiiO any input on what may be happening?
Sorry to hear you're still having issues. As a reference point to assist, I'm using Roon Remote (from Roon Labs v 1.8 (build 816) on the M11 Plus LTD, and my Roon core is v1.8 (build 814).

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #943 of 2,988
Aug 29, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #944 of 2,988
How is Apple Music working on this? I have heard it is getting crashed and troublesome streaming in this DAP. Is this the case with all/majority?

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #945 of 2,988
How is Apple Music working on this? I have heard it is getting crashed and troublesome streaming in this DAP. Is this the case with all/majority?
Not at all for me. Working great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back