fiio m11, Hiby r6 pro, or Ibasso DX220?
Jun 17, 2019 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Steve B.

New Head-Fier
Has anyone purchased any of these, and if so why did you select one over the other? I am leaning toward the fiio but I hesitate as my previous fiio purchases were not great. My X5iii is so Sloooooooooooooow and laggy it is almost unusable. My fiio X5ii has a click wheel that is completely unusable.

Understanding the Fiio is cheapest, it is the only one with 2 Micro SD card slots (although I have read they next batch will have only one slot), and it seems to have enough power, although less than the other two. Also Android 7 vs 8 on the other 2. I think bluetooth 5.0, vs 4.1 on hiby, although I do not use bluetooth so I really do not care. Also fiio no google play store, where I think the other 2 have google play. I really just use my DAP for tidal streaming and offline play, loading up micro cards with ripped CD's and purchases,and need enough power to drive my cans. It would be great to have some way to use equalizer with tidal as well, but I am not sure of a solutions for this on any of the three. Sennheiser has an app that is supposed to work, but I tried it and it was not great - impossible to find the album I wanted to play. I wish there was simply a tidal equalizer....

Which of the three would you buy/have you bought?

Jun 18, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 29
I bought the DX220 - mostly because of the better software support (very responsive team and regular updates to address any issues, more recent Android (8 vs 7) and impressive customer service rap vs. FiiO and HiBy) and significantly more powerful amp options - even with the stock Amp1mk2 (1200mw/channel balanced versus a little more than half that), and the option to use different amp cards. Maybe a bit overkill, but I figure it will last me a good long while. Driving my HE4XX works great, though I’m mostly using my IEMs right now. Still building the balanced cable for the HD6XX so can’t comment on that right now, SE output is OK but I’m hoping for a little more excitement from the balanced power boost. Whether you need all the extra power will depend on what you want to drive...

The DX220 does not have google play out of the box but you can add Lurker0’s firmware add-on and presto, there you go. Haven’t seen any options for EQ for offline Tidal though - UAPP should work for streaming.

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 29
in MY experience, I went for the M11

when I debated between the R6 PRO and the DX220, I went for the DX220 because of the better chip (pro, for audiophile vs their more battery, mobile device friendly chip)

when I debated between DX220 and the M11, I picked M11 because one review said they sound very close to each other, and I couldn't stand the lag in the DX220. even in their custom booted mango app, which is stripped of all the other android processes and focused only on sound, it's way too slow for me. the M11 works almost like a phone. not as good, but still decent. also , I use mainly iem's, so the replaceable amps dont make sense for my use.

so, from my experience, out of the 3, the m11 is good if you're using iems, and the dx220 is good if youre using headphones and are willing to buy other amps

so IMO, if you're listening to headphones,

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 29
Has anyone purchased any of these, and if so why did you select one over the other? I am leaning toward the fiio but I hesitate as my previous fiio purchases were not great. My X5iii is so Sloooooooooooooow and laggy it is almost unusable. My fiio X5ii has a click wheel that is completely unusable.

Understanding the Fiio is cheapest, it is the only one with 2 Micro SD card slots (although I have read they next batch will have only one slot), and it seems to have enough power, although less than the other two. Also Android 7 vs 8 on the other 2. I think bluetooth 5.0, vs 4.1 on hiby, although I do not use bluetooth so I really do not care. Also fiio no google play store, where I think the other 2 have google play. I really just use my DAP for tidal streaming and offline play, loading up micro cards with ripped CD's and purchases,and need enough power to drive my cans. It would be great to have some way to use equalizer with tidal as well, but I am not sure of a solutions for this on any of the three. Sennheiser has an app that is supposed to work, but I tried it and it was not great - impossible to find the album I wanted to play. I wish there was simply a tidal equalizer....

Where did you read that the next batch will only have one slot?

Jul 1, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 29
I have a hiby r6 and fiio m9. When the hiby first came out it was a great player. Great battery life and sound but over last few months have had a few issues:

1) Update to android 8 - very cumbersome as software and a lot of the instructions are in mandarin. You have to boot your device into recovery mood. Took me few tries to complete and i spend quite a bit of time rooting my other android devices. Also after update started having bad battery drain and frequent google play errors.
2) Glass on the back of device cracked even thought it had a case on. Was unable to fix, was given a replacement by local dealer in the end.

I like my M9 given the size but the software can also be quite buggy.

Overall i would choose either the fiio or the ibasso (the ibasso probably as will be getting the dx220 at some point). I would steer clear of the hiby.

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 29
Fiio x5 iii is crap, i sold mine due to terrible software, boring tonal profile, laggy input, and a spin wheel that didnt detect input all the time.

I got the A&K sr15, never looked back, great brand, great daps

Jul 20, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 29

Hi! I’m in a similar quandary with more or less weighing the same DAP’s that you listed... as my first DAP purchase.
Im wondering what you wound up getting and how you’re liking it?

Thanks!!

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 29
I think Hiby R6 Pro is better
Never.
I sold it after a month with its recessed highs.
And I was one of the first buyers in the world I believe.
Never will be better than the dx220 in terms of sound.
Now im selling the dx220 because it laggs and maybe one day I throw it on the wall and destroy it with its poor battery life.

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 29
Just have to say I really like my R6Pro.

Aug 18, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 29
All very good Mid Hifi daps. PERIOD.

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 29
I have the Fiio M11. And the ibasso DX 220. I auditioned the Hiby,fantastic UI,wasn’t so so keen on the sound. The Fiio and ibasso are both excellent. Neither will disappoint. The Fiio is slightly more flexible,has Fiio link which is a nice feature,lovely large screen. And it has oodles of power,it isn’t just for iem ,far from it,I use Sennheiser 660s and Amiron Home and there is plenty there. The ibasso isn’t quite as flexible,doesn’t have 4,4 balanced with stock card...but it’s a killer sound. I love it. If I could only have one it would be the ibasso but I would miss the Fiio! And,note they are bringing out the M11 pro in October. More expensive of course but looks very interesting for those that haven’t already forked out the hard earned on the M11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back