[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jul 28, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #5,026 of 9,288
Got the coaxial hires digital working in my Marantz 6012

Helps when you assign the right Coaxial input. My fault for the receiver having so many inputs to select from.
I have a Sonos sound system, what do you think the best way would be to use the M11 with it. I use an Nvidia Shield with optical out into the sonos playbar + sonos sub. I know I can wifi to it/dlna but that would only be using the M11 as a storage device right? The sonos is also plugged into ethernet. does a cable exist from M11 to optical? but then again thats not using the players DAC's right? or would you connect M11 to Nvidia Shield as a usb DAC, ... but I guess same again, its then still optical out, and using whatever chips are in the sonos playbar.

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #5,028 of 9,288
Yes, heard the ‘normal’ M11. And had I never listened to the Pro, I would be a happy chap. But to my ears there’s no going back once I heard the Pro. The THX amp makes a huge difference. If they price it right it will be Fiio’s biggest selling Dap ever. And will compete with very expensive flagships.

I’ll try my best. For me personally the M11 (non pro) sounds lovely, but it still sounds like a dap. (I’ve heard so many over the years and it’s rare for me to be blown away anymore sadly).
The M11 (non pro) does nothing wrong, and for the price it’s a steal. It has that typical smooth AK dac sound. I liked it a lot.

But!.....the Pro is literally like listening to a desktop amp on first listen. Really took me by surprise. It was literally effortless at delivering the music. Yes, the AK smoothness was there (my personal fav dacs so that works for me), but the amp side with the THX AAA just takes it to a whole new level. I honestly could have just sat there all day listening. Effortless as I said, with such a clean sound. Emotional connection to the music was there instantly......It’s been a long time since I heard a dap and then instantly smiled, then laughed at the fact Fiio have worked this magic (no offence Fiio). If someone had blind tested me and said ‘flagship, £2000 etc) I would have believed them. To me it’s that good. And I shall be buying one as soon as UK release!!

Initially listened to it with my sons Sony MDR-7506 out of the 3.5mm, as such a neutral headphone is perfect to show a daps capability’s. And it really did as I put. Then I tried it with the FH7’s they had and my own Jupiter’s. Didn’t notice any hissing but can’t guarantee as noisy place and I was just too happy at what I was hearing to care either way.
As for your low end question, that was the part that took my by surprise first. Was listening to Eagles ‘Hotel California’, and the low end thump at the beginning of that song was pure desktop produced. And don’t get me started on the vocals. Like I said, pure emotion.

As for Fiios ‘flagship’ in the near future, I can’t even imagine what they will do there to beat the Pro. Just suffice to say Fiio are steadily becoming to my eyes and ears the company to go to above all in the dap market.

I applaud them and thank them (@JamesFiiO) on their dedication to bringing us such good products.

M11 Pro impressions from CanJam

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #5,030 of 9,288
10327491.jpeg

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #5,031 of 9,288
Jul 28, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #5,033 of 9,288
It’s interesting that there is no mention of SD card slots on that poster...

I really hope Fiio haven’t made a final decision on that and will listen to the reaction from a lot of users that the removal of one if the slots will put them off buying the pro!

Come on Fiio - give us 2 slots on the pro!!!

Jul 28, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #5,036 of 9,288
Hi! this is my first post after many years being watching, waiting to join.
The M11 has surpassed all my expectations and feels years ahead of it's time! Yes I have much love for Fiio, now that love becomes 4fold with the M11. The sharp clear highs with no detectable imbalance over the mids. The mids are true and concise as clear as anything I've never had the pleasure of having in yes, my entire life (45 years). The bass introduces itself kindly yet with a hard fast punch never overlapping the mids or highs. Damn near perfection...
I've been at this a while. Ever since 2 friends sat me down at age 17 in a recliner at boarding school. Larry and Don. They put The Cars first album on, "Moving In Stereo & All Mixed Up" were the tracks. This was a turning point in my life, musically, and I remember that night ever so well. A rolled fancy cigg was placed in my hand. "Go ahead, try it." I was at that point complete! The Marantz Receiver and turntable sung to ME. It was one of the most magical times in my life!
I am sharing all this because, well, it's a preface to my long journey into audiophile heaven. I've never looked back since.
The Fiio M11 reminds me of that exact experience so many years ago. The calming effect, the excitement surrounding it with this new technology. The M11 is undoubtedly the best sounding personal or even for my home I've ever had the pleasure of owning. This again is musical nirvana to me. I hope some of you can identify and elaborate with your thoughts, tips, tricks and suggestions. Thank you Head-Fi for being here for me now and allowing me to share that very special time in my youth that brings me back 30 years later still chasing that dream. The M11 is justifiably the BEST DAP I've ever had the pleasure of owning. I am impressed beyond any description words could convey!
Great story, that’s what we’re all in here to find, the ‘magic’. Welcome to the club.

Jul 28, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #5,037 of 9,288
Here is a question I have bee pondering with for the last couple days, and could use some inputs / thoughts on:
I am looking for a transport for my DAC/Amp (Woo Audio WA11). Been considering the FiiO M11 (I got older FiiO DAPs, and am a fan of FiiO) or an Android phone, that with 400GB microSD card or something like a used Samsung Note 9 with built-in 512GB...
Now, I understand the M11 can double as a stand-alone DAP, but if using ONLY as transport - does it have ANY advantage over say the Note 9 ?
Price: would be relatively close (granted, new M11 + big microSD card vs. used Note 9 with no need for microSD card).
Flexibility: Note 9 runs newer (latest) Android, got access to ALL Google Play services (and app store)
UI/UX: Note 9 got bigger and better display obviously, and is faster (although I understand M11 is not lagging at all)
Sound: Since I plan to use USB-C output (i.e. digital) with both, I am bypassing DAC and built-in amp, so I would think it is a tie here.

Am I missing anything? Any advantages to M11 over the Note 9 when used as transport only?
I do NOT need the 2nd microSD slot (since the Note 9 already got 512GB onboard plus 1 microSD slot).

Thanks for any thoughts / feedback!
One benefit I have found is that with my phone (Huawei P30 Pro) the USB out only works if a particular app supports it which rules out using 3rd party apps like Qobuz, Tidal and YouTube (although USB player pro supports Tidal but not offline). The M11 has a coax output witch will output everything to the DAC bit perfect, something that no smartphone has.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #5,038 of 9,288
Screenshot_20190728-093711[1].png

Ow, she's a brick house
She's mighty-mighty, just lettin' it all hang out
She's a brick house
That M11's stacked and that's a fact
Ain't holding nothing back

Juj

Jul 28, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #5,040 of 9,288
Very disappointing to see that you are releasing a "pro" version so quickly after the first version @FiiO - I would never have bought it if I saw that it is coming out so quickly after the first version. Very poor move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back