[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jul 8, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #3,781 of 9,288
I was getting an issue like this and changed usb port to one that was not able to give too much power to the M11 and the noise stopped.

Hope this helps.

Juj
I was wondering if that made a difference. It's happened on the usb 2 and usb 3 ports on the front of my case. I'll have to check my motherboard and case specs to see if there is a lower power option.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #3,782 of 9,288
This has been discussed already, just do a thread search for digital filter settings. And no it's not snake oil but the changes are very subtle. Basically sharp roll off has a bit more treble energy and slow roll off has a smoother sound. One is an abrupt shelf drop at the cut off frequency and the other is a more gentle slope to the cut off.
thanks mate. That's a good start for dabbling with them :)

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #3,783 of 9,288
I got the M11 few days ago. Everything is good. Really good actually. Except one thing... The sound..

Out of 3,5mm SE:

Subbass is so, so weak. It lacks density, depth and physicality. It's like the point of origin of the bass is too far from you. You can hear the bass but you can't really feel it.

The entire presentation (stage) seems distant to me. Stage width is really disappointing, even my lowly OnePlus 5 smartphone has a much wider stage probably like 40-50% wider. Depth is OK, height is OK.
Yes the M11 is more detailed but it's got a pretty bad case of digititus which makes everything sound artificial and too analytical. Am I crazy here or does anyone know what I'm talking about here?

I got a balanced 4.4mm cable coming in a few days, what can I expect will happen to the sound through balanced connection?

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #3,784 of 9,288
I got the M11 few days ago. Everything is good. Really good actually. Except one thing... The sound..

Out of 3,5mm SE:

Subbass is so, so weak. It lacks density, depth and physicality. It's like the point of origin of the bass is too far from you. You can hear the bass but you can't really feel it.

The entire presentation (stage) seems distant to me. Stage width is really disappointing, even my lowly OnePlus 5 smartphone has a much wider stage probably like 40-50% wider. Depth is OK, height is OK.
Yes the M11 is more detailed but it's got a pretty bad case of digititus which makes everything sound artificial and too analytical. Am I crazy here or does anyone know what I'm talking about here?

I got a balanced 4.4mm cable coming in a few days, what can I expect will happen to the sound through balanced connection?
What are headphones/IEM are you using?

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #3,785 of 9,288

Out of 3,5mm SE:

I don't follow. The stage seems distant, yet is narrow at the same time?

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #3,787 of 9,288
1More Quad, Nighthawk, HD650, Acoustune HS1551 CU, Oriolus Reborn.
I have no experience with any you have listed.

Are you using Hi Gain?

I have notice with most of what i running even though I have enough volume i need more power to run the bass the way i want it.

Try it on balanced and tells us what its like after that.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #3,788 of 9,288

Out of 3,5mm SE:

You can expect a wider stage with balanced and more focus on the entire spectrum. Still going to be on the digital side sound wise though, but most resolving daps sound like that.

Unless Sony, z1, cayin n8, colofly u8, actually zx300 is sort of natural sounding.

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #3,789 of 9,288
I don't follow. The stage seems distant, yet is narrow at the same time?

This is what I experience: https://i.gyazo.com/fd36d9ff8edd8c6b9a523738c49b09f3.png (Dont take the illustration literally, its a bit emphasized for the sake of making the point clearer.

The Oneplus stage puts the instruments closer to you but has more room to echo outwards, making it difficult to sense the end or walls of the stage.

The stage of the M11 puts the instruments farther away from you but yet has a narrower more focused stage and so you you more clearly hear the end of the stage.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #3,790 of 9,288
I have no experience with any you have listed.

Are you using Hi Gain?

I have notice with most of what i running even though I have enough volume i need more power to run the bass the way i want it.

Try it on balanced and tells us what its like after that.

Hi gain is on yes. So you also hear the lack of bass intensity? It is actually pretty severe if you ask me. It is like the M11 puts the sound through a filter or DSP to make everything sound distant and de-coupled from your head or vicinity.

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #3,791 of 9,288
You can expect a wider stage with balanced and more focus on the entire spectrum. Still going to be on the digital side sound wise though, but most resolving daps sound like that.

Unless Sony, z1, cayin n8, colofly u8, actually zx300 is sort of natural sounding.
Bad Guy Good Audio on Youtube says that using the Oriolus BA300s with the M11 pretty much equals the Cayin N8.

Does adding tube amplification widen and sweeten the sound I wonder? Make it more physical and organic sounding?

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #3,792 of 9,288

I see. I don't have an HD650 to compare, but an HD58X.

In my limited experience, comparing the M11 with a Cayin N3, the Cayin hits a harder on the sub bass, and has more body than the M11, but lacks control and definition, specially on the bass string notes, which sound very detailed on the M11.

The N3 sounds narrower tho, the bass notes sound closer, although much less "digital", darker.

This is from the 3.5 output.

I only have the balanced cable for my Sony XBA N3. Going from single ended to balanced enhances a tad bit the soundstage, but it also sounds a tad brighter, it does nothing for the bass impact.

I'd say the bass can sound a bit anemic on the M11 even with all its powerful amp.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #3,793 of 9,288
Bad Guy Good Audio on Youtube says that using the Oriolus BA300s with the M11 pretty much equals the Cayin N8.

Does adding tube amplification widen and sweeten the sound I wonder? Make it more physical and organic sounding?

I would imagine that it would pretty much do the same thing, but that amp isn't easy to get.

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #3,794 of 9,288

Out of 3,5mm SE:

Use another app. The FiiO app sucks in EQ! The predecessors M7 & M9, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back