[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #617 of 9,288
You can do the reverse (put a 3.5mm standard adapter on a balanced cable to plug into a single need port), but not the other way round.
I did not know that! I've been changing the entire cable on my Shure SE846 when I switch from DAP to iPad.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #618 of 9,288
First, your M11 is not part of any Guinea Pig batch. It’s the official and final production version. Second, the M11 will never have Google Play because Google only allows it for Android 9+ and the M11 will always be on Android 7.

Hi gLer -

I'm wondering if you can clear up some confusion on my part regarding Google Play Store and Android levels. I have an X5III with Android 5.1 and it utilizes the Google Play store fine. I also have an older Tegra Note 7 w/Android 4.3 that can use it. Is it something about the Samsung DAC chip and its Android level in the M11 that is precluding it from having the Play Store? Did Google decide after a certain date that new Android devices had to be Android 9+ for Play Store? Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #619 of 9,288
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #620 of 9,288
Hi gLer -

I'm wondering if you can clear up some confusion on my part regarding Google and Android levels. I have an X5III with Android 5.1 and it utilizes the Google Play store fine. I also have an older Tegra Note 7 w/Android 4.3 that can use it. Is it something about the Samsung DAC chip and its Android level in the M11 that is precluding it from having the Play Store? Did Google decide after a certain date that new Android devices had to be Android 9+ for Play Store? Thanks for any insight.
Hi - from what I understand, Google has recently come out with a new "rule" that makes Google Play available only to new installations of Android 9+. Your X5iii and Tegra Note have Google Play because at the time, either their Android version was the most current, or Google's rules were more lax. I guess this is Google's way of imposing some sort of control over app compatibility, or more likely getting manufacturers to use the latest Android version in their devices. The Samsung chip used on the M11 is limited to Android 7 compatibility, and unless Samsung makes the effort to upgrade the code on that chip to support Android 9 (or Google relaxes the restriction), we're stuck with no Google Play. You could argue FiiO should then have used a more "current" SoC that supports Android 9 (and they may still do with their higher-end players), but then you're probably looking at a much more expensive dap. The Hiby R6, for example, which has Google Play, supports Android 8.1, which at the time of the R6 release was the current version and therefore supported Google Play. Personally I'm not a huge Android fan, so the customised and slimmed down version we get with the M9/M11 is ideal for what I need (a media player primarily for high-res music playback but with enough power (and apps) to stream music (and video in the case of the M11).

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #621 of 9,288
Hi - from what I understand, Google has recently come out with a new "rule" that makes Google Play available only to new installations of Android 9+. Your X5iii and Tegra Note have Google Play because at the time, either their Android version was the most current, or Google's rules were more lax. I guess this is Google's way of imposing some sort of control over app compatibility, or more likely getting manufacturers to use the latest Android version in their devices. The Samsung chip used on the M11 is limited to Android 7 compatibility, and unless Samsung makes the effort to upgrade the code on that chip to support Android 9 (or Google relaxes the restriction), we're stuck with no Google Play. You could argue FiiO should then have used a more "current" SoC that supports Android 9 (and they may still do with their higher-end players), but then you're probably looking at a much more expensive dap. The Hiby R6, for example, which has Google Play, supports Android 8.1, which at the time of the R6 release was the current version and therefore supported Google Play. Personally I'm not a huge Android fan, so the customised and slimmed down version we get with the M9/M11 is ideal for what I need (a media player primarily for high-res music playback but with enough power (and apps) to stream music (and video in the case of the M11).

Thanks, now it makes sense. I guess as long as I could get the apk's for what I need to run--like UAPP for example, it's not a real issue. The M11 does sound like a great player at a reasonable cost, and I'm already seriously considering upgrading from my X5III down the road when it becomes more generally available.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #622 of 9,288
How's the wifi on this thing compared to the x5iii? That's the main reason I returned that player.
I've had no issues with wifi. I have connected to work and home. Both 2.4G and 5G . I use Netgear and Asus modems. BT works fine too. HWA codec works well.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #623 of 9,288
Think about this that everyone that is already bought it and is using after a month or two will be bored already and you will get this toy shiny new. If there won't be other new toys issued. Also sometimes waiting is more fun than receiving and using. This is like chrismas waiting and the biggest fun is over after opening box :wink:
I'd like to but reading from this thread makes me want to have it already. :beyersmile:

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #624 of 9,288
I can't get over how quick and how great the screen is on this thing. I've ditched the Fiio Music App though (disabled) due to poor eq and using HibyMusic with MSEB and much better EQ :L3000: It now sounds fantastic and running Hiby better than the Hiby R6/Pro lol. The form factor is really good, hardware buttons well placed and the most usable pocket use wise. Maybe stripping it down soon to see what hardware mods can be done :L3000:

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #625 of 9,288
I can't get over how quick and how great the screen is on this thing. I've ditched the Fiio Music App though (disabled) due to poor eq and using HibyMusic with MSEB and much better EQ :L3000: It now sounds fantastic and running Hiby better than the Hiby R6/Pro lol. The form factor is really good, hardware buttons well placed and the most usable pocket use wise. Maybe stripping it down soon to see what hardware mods can be done :L3000:
So would you rather have this or the R6 Pro?

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #628 of 9,288
FiiO M11 Portable High-Resolution Music Player Unboxing

In this video, we do the unboxing FiiO’s new Portable High-Resolution Music Player, the M11. Let's check out what's included in the box, some basic info about the M11 as well as how to connect it to other devices to enjoy to the fullest.

You can also find the detailed introduction on our site at: https://fiio.com/m11. FYI, the M11 is estimated to be released to worldwide market in May, so plz kindly stay tuned with us, thank you!

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 18, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #629 of 9,288
So this is curious...

I got a PM from someone at Fiio noting that I had purchased an M11 from Aliexpress (not the Fiio store), and asking if I would provide the serial number. I replied that I would be happy to provide it once I have the unit (delivery is scheduled for tomorrow).

What do you suppose this is about?

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #630 of 9,288
So this is curious...

I got a PM from someone at Fiio noting that I had purchased an M11 from Aliexpress (not the Fiio store), and asking if I would provide the serial number. I replied that I would be happy to provide it once I have the unit (delivery is scheduled for tomorrow).

What do you suppose this is about?
Curious indeed.
Even if serial number is not a critical data (I think), you may contact FiiO through official channels to be sure this person works really for them.

No guess what may be the concern with your unit though,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back