[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
May 20, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #1,291 of 9,288
Do you feel there’s any real advantage to high-res music using daps like the M11 then? The reason I ask is that I have many Redbook rips that sound better in many ways to their high-res equivalents. In fact I contend that the mastering of the original recording - not the file format or upsampling or downsampling - makes by far the biggest difference when it comes to perceived quality. Heck most people still get by with lossy files (shock horror!).
The only way a higher resolution sample would sound better is if it was already mastered at an equivalent (or higher) resolution to begin with (as the more you downsample, the less information you retain), that said the quality of a master is much more of a determining factor in regards to the quality of a sample than its bit and sample rates (unless it's really low and/or compressed), if you find redbook audio (16bit@44.1kHz) sounding better when upsampled (when in fact it would sound the same or (in most cases) worse), there is a name for it, it's called the placebo effect, it does wonders.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #1,293 of 9,288
An upsampling is only good for more overhead and if you will edit the music file for further processing. For a normal music playing is not necessary to upsample a normal audio file. The neg. effects are possible artifacts caused by calculation errors of the CPU / SW / algorithm. In case of HIRes audio devices is just a gimmick resp. a sales promotion.

May 20, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #1,294 of 9,288
An upsampling is only good for more overhead and if you will edit the music file for further processing. For a normal music playing is not necessary to upsample a normal audio file. The neg. effects are possible artifacts caused by calculation errors of the CPU / SW / algorithm. In case of HIRes audio devices is just a gimmick resp. a sales promotion.

Upsampling is not good for editing at all, what usually happens is that the original master (at least the digital version) is recorded at a very high (more than what would be required for listening audiences) bit and sample rates, so that there is as less deterioration as possible whenever the sample is worked on (including the part when the audio is "evened out", as in, when the dynamic rate is sacrificed to increase a track's volume aka "loudness war"), as well as to when the sample is downsampled to match whatever medium it ships to (usually, but not always, redbook audio), as any post processing that is performed, results in a loss of information.

Upsampling however, as the name implies is taking a lower resolution sample and having it inside a higher resolution package, at which point the original information (which, as a sound engineer, you would be trying not to lose) would be non-existent (from the low resolution source), in the first place, You might as well work from the source directly rather than adding yet another lossy (because it always is) post processing step.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #1,295 of 9,288
They she should resign her job and get another vocation (seriously, we are in the realms of audio engineering 101 here), as well as explain herself in detail as to how upsampling would provide any benefits to the sound signature whatsoever while keeping the original sound intact (something that's not possible according to the laws of physics, but I digress). Unlilke your so called "sound engineer" I could actually provide a very detailed explanation as to why this happens, but wasting my time enlighten you is not part of how I plan on spending my day.
The idea isn't to "provide benefits" to the "sound signature" as the original file on nearly all Android devices is going to be re-sampled regardless. The idea is to provide a "better" re-sampler (better being a subjective compromise) which places audio artefacts beyond the audible range of your golden ears. FiiO can optimize their music app for their hardware and version of Android. This is no trivial task for other app developers, especially when the audible difference my be... well...inaudible.

May 20, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #1,296 of 9,288
The idea isn't to "provide benefits" to the "sound signature" as the original file on nearly all Android devices is going to be re-sampled regardless. The idea is to provide a "better" re-sampler (better being a subjective compromise) which places audio artefacts beyond the audible range of your golden ears. FiiO can optimize their music app for their hardware and version of Android. This is no trivial task for other app developers, especially when the audible difference my be... well...inaudible.

While that may be true (athough, that is rather subjective), this is done at the expense of energy expenditure (something that comes at a premium on a mobile/portable device), while the processing power required to upsample a digital audio source file is somewhat negligible, the additional processing power required by the Digital to Analog Converter to process a higher sample and/or bit rate digital audio file/stream is not, in fact I would argue it is rather significant.
This is also most likely one of the reasons as to why the All to DSD feature is optional.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #1,297 of 9,288
damn, now that I have the money ready, they are sould out at AliExpress :frowning2: Anyone knows when they'll be back in stock?

You can pre-order from the official German reseller (hifi-passion.de/fiio-shop.de). Release is dated for June 10th, and from my experience you would have to wait more or less about 3 week to get your purchase from China. And of course you don't have to send it back to China if something goes wrong.

May 20, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #1,298 of 9,288
You can pre-order from the official German reseller (hifi-passion.de/fiio-shop.de). Release is dated for June 10th, and from my experience you would have to wait more or less about 3 week to get your purchase from China. And of course you don't have to send it back to China if something goes wrong.

nah shipping from China with DHL Express is like one week max. Had some stuff turn up after 3 days. It's all good, FiiO Store on aliexpress has the M11 restocked :)

May 20, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #1,299 of 9,288
nah shipping from China with DHL Express is like one week max. Had some stuff turn up after 3 days. It's all good, FiiO Store on aliexpress has the M11 restocked :)

3 days from China? Wow! I never got anything from China under 2.5 weeks, customs alone takes at least 2-3 days to process.
Wish you luck :)

May 20, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #1,300 of 9,288

Got mine from a Chinese seller on AliExpress, took 6-7 days with DHL to ship to Mexico City and they declared it with a lower value.

May 21, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #1,302 of 9,288
I can get the M11 new for £400 or a used excellent condition R6 Pro for £600. Is the Hiby worth the extra? I think it has a newer Android OS (with Google Play) but does it also have a fast CPU like the M11 and would I notice improved sound quality using with my SE846's ?

Thanks

May 21, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,303 of 9,288
I can get the M11 new for £400 or a used excellent condition R6 Pro for £600. Is the Hiby worth the extra? I think it has a newer Android OS (with Google Play) but does it also have a fast CPU like the M11 and would I notice improved sound quality using with my SE846's ?

Thanks
If you are only driving IEMs and don't need to use the Google Play Framework or USB Audio Player Pro, stick with the M11, if you are driving power hungry headphones or need Google play, the Hiby R6 Pro may be worth the extra cost.

May 21, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #1,304 of 9,288
I hv both the R6 Pro and M11, and I do agree with the above, if you r just using a pair of IEMs, go with M11. Your IEM will end up be picking up all the unwanted noise from the R6P, where the M11 is much quieter and cleaner. Also, the R6P has a problem with cell phones close-by interfering badly, where the M11 remains dead quiet besides the same phone.

May 21, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #1,305 of 9,288
Anyone
I hv both the R6 Pro and M11, and I do agree with the above, if you r just using a pair of IEMs, go with M11. Your IEM will end up be picking up all the unwanted noise from the R6P, where the M11 is much quieter and cleaner. Also, the R6P has a problem with cell phones close-by interfering badly, where the M11 remains dead quiet besides the same phone.

Thought the R6P have a lower noise floor and is stated to work fine with lower impedance IEMs !? Maybe Noise floor shouldnt be the spec to look for regarding this? However stated to work fine with lower impedance IEMs should!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back