[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jan 4, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #8,656 of 9,288
My folders are build like this:

SD Card 1 -> Folders A-J
SD Card 2 -> Folders J-Z

In each letter folder, lives another folder for artist. In that folder are folders for albums/singles, what have you. Attaching a quick screenshot of how things are organized a little deeper, for anyone curious.

I'll note again that in a Mac Finder, everything appears as it should. In my Astell & Kern KANN, it does as well. It even reads properly in order when viewing the folders on the storage tab of the main settings page (just checked this as well).

@newworld666 - I'm confused about why it would be tag-related if the Fiio Music app hasn't run a scan yet? This is strictly looking at the folder hierarchy in the Local Music tab of the music app, and trying to pick a folder out of there to just start basic listening.

How do you get it to show in Mac Finder ? Mine only shows the drive and nothing else.
And do you transfer music from Finder or use another app ?

I am currently the Android Transfer app.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #8,659 of 9,288
Mine does not show the contents of the M11

Are you trying to use the Android Transfer App(?) on your Mac? If so, I don't believe it works (didn't work mine anyway, as the "App" is not 64bit).

If you are using a Mac, your best way of transferring is by taking the sd cards out of the M11 and inserting directly into a Mac. A complete PITA, but at least it works (and I'd much quicker)!

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #8,660 of 9,288
Are you trying to use the Android Transfer App(?) on your Mac? If so, I don't believe it works (didn't work mine anyway, as the "App" is not 64bit).

If you are using a Mac, your best way of transferring is by taking the sd cards out of the M11 and inserting directly into a Mac. A complete PITA, but at least it works (and I'd much quicker)!

Yes I have been using the Android File Transfer App on El Capitan, Catalina and now Big Sur and it still works for me. I had a spell where it was erroring out everytime I tried to drag and drop but uninstalled it and installed again and it's back working again, fingers crossed.

Yes I did my huge transfers plugging the cards into the Mac and last time AFT app failed I did it again using that method. Unfortunately it dragged across hidden mac files along with the tracks which I had to delete manually from the cards - fortunately it was just a few albums worth, would hate to have to do that on a transfer of 400GB of music files on the two cards, 800GB in total.

I was curious how that user showed the contents of the device in Finder as as far as I know, the Android system won't display on the Mac, hence the use of the AFT app, but I may have misunderstood his post.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #8,661 of 9,288
Yes I have been using the Android File Transfer App on El Capitan, Catalina and now Big Sur and it still works for me. I had a spell where it was erroring out everytime I tried to drag and drop but uninstalled it and installed again and it's back working again, fingers crossed.

Yes I did my huge transfers plugging the cards into the Mac and last time AFT app failed I did it again using that method. Unfortunately it dragged across hidden mac files along with the tracks which I had to delete manually from the cards - fortunately it was just a few albums worth, would hate to have to do that on a transfer of 400GB of music files on the two cards, 800GB in total.

I was curious how that user showed the contents of the device in Finder as as far as I know, the Android system won't display on the Mac, hence the use of the AFT app, but I may have misunderstood his post.

Glad you got it to work.

I've never got AFT to work on my Mac (Catalina - can't upgrade to BigSur).

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #8,662 of 9,288
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #8,663 of 9,288
Dear friend,

You could check this for reference: https://www.bobulous.org.uk/misc/Replay-Gain.html

Best regards

OK so it's a bit like Sound Check in Apple players, standardising the volume between tracks on an album, totally separate from the Gain setting in the device settings. Makes sense.

Does the ReplayGain metadata need to get written to the files when creating them or does activating it in the player makes the player analyse the tracks in the album and then set the levels in the metadata ? Perhaps I'm missing that point ?

Curious.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #8,664 of 9,288
OK so it's a bit like Sound Check in Apple players, standardising the volume between tracks on an album, totally separate from the Gain setting in the device settings. Makes sense.

Does the ReplayGain metadata need to get written to the files when creating them or does activating it in the player makes the player analyse the tracks in the album and then set the levels in the metadata ? Perhaps I'm missing that point ?

Curious.

It needs to be applied before the file gets copied to the device - through a program such as Foobar.

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #8,666 of 9,288
I am very tempted to buy m11, but sort of have my doubts. In comparison lets say with btr5 or shanling m5s how big of a sound improvement will this be, or basically the same, just with slight variations? Also as far as I am aware if I want 2sd slots and usb-c there is really no android based alternatives to this? Thank you :)

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #8,667 of 9,288
I don’t know of many that have 2 SD card slots. It was the clincher for me.

Dont know about sound improvementS, but I love the sound, quite neutral, and I’ve gotten use to the subtle bass through the EQ in the native player. If you wanted more bass there is always Poweramp or Neutron player through the App Stor. I was using Poweramp for a while but didn’t like the upsampling it did by default and being unable to play files natively.

The UI is gorgeous and the screen excellent, both important to me.

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #8,668 of 9,288
@FiiO
@JamesFiiO

I've just updated the FW to 1.1.1 rescanned my music /folders, but I can no longer get any music to play through my desktop DAC/Amp. All I get is glitchy noise!!

The settings I have are:
Output selection; SPFIF
SPDIF out: DoP
USB mode: tried both storage and USB DAC

Nothing seems to work!!

Can anyone help out please, thanks.

EDIT:

Managed to get the M11 to play music, but had to set "USB Output" in Fiio player settings to "Off" which allowed music to be played via my DAC/Amp. However, no DSD files can be played, there is just silence.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #8,669 of 9,288
I don’t know of many that have 2 SD card slots. It was the clincher for me.

Dont know about sound improvementS, but I love the sound, quite neutral, and I’ve gotten use to the subtle bass through the EQ in the native player. If you wanted more bass there is always Poweramp or Neutron player through the App Stor. I was using Poweramp for a while but didn’t like the upsampling it did by default and being unable to play files natively.

The UI is gorgeous and the screen excellent, both important to me.

I prefer my sources to be as neutral as possible so the 'colouring' comes from the headphones alone. And the M11 is very good with slightly darker headphones (I use with the XBA-Z5). I'm curious tho to see the difference with the M15 (can't afford that yet. lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back