[FiiO KA5]FiiO Portable DAC and Headphone Amplifier, Multifunctional local OS | OLED display | Dual CS43198 DACs | PCM 768kHz/32bit | DSD256 | 3.5+4.4 dual outputs | App connectivity
Apr 6, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #91 of 536
Mine (and my friend's) finally arrived.

Initial impression is very positive! Well done @FiiO !

There is no complaints whatsoever about sound quality, but there are a few UX issue with the volume keys and screen. I hope there is a way to completely disable the track control and have both short press and long press to be controlling volume only. Also, I wish the screen will light up automatically when changing volume or sample rate.
IMG20230405172946.jpg

Maybe I'll review them soon.

Apr 6, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #92 of 536

There is no complaints whatsoever about sound quality, but there are a few UX issue with the volume keys and screen. I hope there is a way to completely disable the track control and have both short press and long press to be controlling volume only. Also, I wish the screen will light up automatically when changing volume or sample rate.
IMG20230405172946.jpg

Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. We will report to the product manager and engineers to assess about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 6, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #93 of 536

IMG20230405172946.jpg

It didn't even occur to me but yes - the screen turning on when raising or lowering volume ect would be nice.

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #94 of 536
Hello! I got a fiio ka5. And got a question. Which option is correct to use?
1) Make maximum sound on the phone and adjust the volume on ka5
2) Make maximum sound on ka5 and adjust the volume on the phone
Both options give different sounds.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #95 of 536
Hello! I got a fiio ka5. And got a question. Which option is correct to use?
1) Make maximum sound on the phone and adjust the volume on ka5
2) Make maximum sound on ka5 and adjust the volume on the phone
Both options give different sounds.

Apr 6, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #96 of 536
The best answer is to try various combinations for each IEM and headphones you use to find your personal preference. Also, remember to factor in the KA5 settings for High/Low Gain and 60/120 Volume Steps. With my Oden IEM and Focal Clear OG, the best combination I found was setting the KA5 on High Gain (this is the first affordable dongle DAC/AMP I found that can be in High Gain and still have no noise floor with the highly sensitive Odins) and at the 60 volume levels setting, with my Samsung S22 volume set to 60%, and my KA5 volume set at 80%. With my Focal Clear OG headphones, I set the smartphone a bit higher to 70% and kept the KA5 at 80%.

Apr 8, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #101 of 536
Hello, i’ve been trying to connect ka5 output to my integrated amp optical input but to no avail.., according to fiio website i need a special cable or something., what is this actually? ..please help

You don't need any special cable because KA5's SPDIF output is digital and not optical, so there won't be any optical signal that you can send to your amp's optical input. A special cable will work if your amp has a SPDIF coaxial input. You can however use an coaxial-to-optical convertor in-between KA5 and the amp.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #103 of 536
Hello, i’ve been trying to connect ka5 output to my integrated amp optical input but to no avail.., according to fiio website i need a special cable or something., what is this actually? ..please help
You can connect it to a coaxial input using a 3.5mm to RCA coaxial cable.

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #104 of 536
I would appreciate a fixed/100% volume setting as well.

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #105 of 536
• Why do you not question FiiO's claim to achieve 768 kHz sampling rate, when the official datasheet of CS43198 states that CS43198 is only capable of 384 kHz? Did you test/verify this yourself? And if it really works, how is it achieved? By simply downsampling?
Tried 768kHz/32bits (upsampled via Roon [in DAC mode] & Neutron): actually does work, as reflected on display. However, audio must be downsampled as the specs say 384kHz max indeed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back